WC4: Disable carrier

Mekt-Hakkikt

Mpanty's bane
Hello!
This has been a question that bothered me since I played WC4: When I move to speradon I get the opportunity to capture a Concordia class Carrier. They tell me I should destroy their turrets and engines and then my mission would be complete. I never managed to succeed. I destroyed the three engines at the rear and got all turrets still my mission was not accomplished. Then I disabled it with Leech guns, still no victory. What is the trick? How do I win that mission?
Please enlighten me !

I have that problem too. I'm not sure if a made a victory on that mission, but i thought i did sometime. Maybe you need to leech the whole craft (?)

That also happened to me. I think if you use a weak weapon e.g. Laser on the Banshee or Vindicator you can avoid this. But the armor does turn red.
Leeching does not work :( .

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 02-27-2001 at 08:31]

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Hello!
This has been a question that bothered me since I played WC4: When I move to speradon I get the opportunity to capture a Concordia class Carrier. They tell me I should destroy their turrets and engines and then my mission would be complete. I never managed to succeed. I destroyed the three engines at the rear and got all turrets still my mission was not accomplished. Then I disabled it with Leech guns, still no victory. What is the trick? How do I win that mission?
Please enlighten me !

After you blow out the engines and all the turrets,
inflict 50% damage on the craft. That should do the
trick.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Oh and something to keep in mind, those three engines in the back might not be the only parts considered engines. I had this problem myself. Shoot at all the blue parts.

Shoot at the blue parts? Aren't the engines red? Because I think I shot at the other glowing parts but they did not explode.
And what should I not mind?

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Shoot at the blue parts? Aren't the engines red? Because I think I shot at the other glowing parts but they did not explode.
And what should I not mind?

There are three holes on the carrier above, to the bottom
left, and bottom right, of the hanger on the back end of
the carrier. These, and only these, are the engines.

Shoot them out. Shoot out all the turrets. Then inflict
50% damage on the carrier (I do this by taking a Bearcat,
fly into the hanger, shift 50%+ power to the guns and
lean on the trigger. 4 light tachyons work wonders).

This WILL work. I have captured this carrier 6 times
using exactly this technique.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

What pendall said was right. Thank you by the way cuz i was struggling with this mission tonight. Take out all 3 engines and all turrets and fighters. After that inflict damage all around the carrier. Almost the whole carrier was in the red zone by the time i got the "mission accomplished " lol. Thing is you would think the goal would be to bot damage the carrier and just disable it. Lol.

I've never quite understood why this mission's goal can't be accomplished by using leech weaponry.
Probably because of the way the rules governing leech weaponry were revised between WC3 and WC4. Remember, in WC3, leech guns didn't exist, and leech missiles had a temporary effect. So, no mission objective could really be achieved using leech weapons. I think we can clearly see in WC4 that this basic rule must have governed the mission design for most of the project's duration - that's why time and again you have to kill leeched fighters in order to trigger the next wave of enemies and thus be able to complete the mission.

We may also wonder about when the decision was made to rebalance the game. WC4 is absolutely hardcore in terms of weapons damage - particularly with regards to missiles, it's a far harsher game than any other WC title. This may have been a decision made relatively late in development, in order to set the game more strongly apart from its predecessor (necessary, because the two games used the same engine, and looked very similar). Perhaps until this point, the intention had been for leech weaponry to work on a temporary basis, but with the increased damage from other weapons, leeches needed to be boosted too. So, now the leech missile became a permanent disabler, the guns the same. All of a sudden, it turns out that where the mission originally predicted and provided for one particular way of disabling the Lexington, there was now a second, unexpected way. Not to mention all those other missions where disabling a fighter actually disrupts mission flow. QA would have probably picked up on this, but if it was late in development, I can tell you that the reaction of the programmers and the mission scripters would have been: "we're not changing the scripts, the risk of adding new bugs in the process is too great."

(come to think of it, we do have the WC4 post-mortem document, which includes the list of all the bugs that were not properly resolved - perhaps there is something about leeches in there)

Edit: of course, there is another aspect to it. Disabling a carrier, particularly in this case, should absolutely be harder than simply destroying it. The player should be strongly encouraged to see this as a tough moral choice, where he can either save the Lexington (with great effort and no benefit other than feeling good), or he can take the easy way out and blow it out of the water. But if disabling the Lexington had been simply tantamount to leeching, then it really wouldn't be any harder than sinking the ship, and that effect would have been gone. Now that I think about it, for this particular mission, this is almost certainly a far more important consideration than what I wrote above regarding the changes in leech functionality. In all likelihood, even if it had been planned from the very start that leech weapons will have a permanent effect, we would have seen the other missions fixed (i.e. follow-up waves appearing after leeching of last fighter from previous wave), but the Lexington mission would have stayed the same. The extra complexity of the disabling process is good and useful in this particular context.

Last edited:
Quarto, WC4 is very difficult but not the most difficult. Standoff is like 10 times as difficult in my opinion lol. At least on Rookie mode in WC4 I can still breeze through it. Not knocking Standoff at all because it's amazing, but sooooo damn hard!!!

Quarto, WC4 is very difficult but not the most difficult. Standoff is like 10 times as difficult in my opinion lol. At least on Rookie mode in WC4 I can still breeze through it. Not knocking Standoff at all because it's amazing, but sooooo damn hard!!!
Yes... well, it's really lucky that we wanted Standoff to be hard, because excessive difficulty also happens to be one of the most common mistakes rookie designers make :p. It certainly showed in UE, but at least Standoff was only as hard as we wanted it to be.

Back