WC3 under Vista problems

dragon875

Spaceman
Hello. I am new here but have played the Wing Commander series ever since the first one. I am having issues getting the KS WC3 to work correctly in Windows Vista x86. WC3 freezes randomly while playing a video but never in actual gameplay. I have tried everything including: lowering the priority, and setting compatibility modes. However none of these work. Is there any way to get this to work correctly on Vista? Thank you for you help.

The game runs fairly automatically in some cases, and we need more information to start to figure out what kinds of specific conflicts might be present under the new operating system. What kind of hardware are you using? Both your sound and video card could be to blame.

Thanks for the reply. Here are my specs:

Video: BFG Geforce 7950 GX2
Sound: Creative Soundblaster X-fi Fatal1ty
RAM: 2 Gig DDR2

I have no problems running any of the Wing Commander games under Vista except for Wing Commander 3 KS.

What kind of processor do you have? Have you tried disabling directx sound or video acceleration in whatever the Vista equivalent of the dxdiag interface or control panel is? You might also try some command line switches.

Command-Line Parameters for Wing Commander 3 for Windows 95.
If you are experiencing performance problems or other technical difficulties with Wing Commander 3 for Windows 95, you may want to try using one or more of the available "Command-line" parameters for running the game. Since the game normally runs like any Windows 95 program, you will have to open an MS-DOS Prompt within Windows 95 to execute the command-line parameters. Click on START, on PROGRAMS and then on MS-DOS PROMPT. Change to the Wing Commander 3 directory on your hard drive (by typing CD\PROGRA~1\KILRAT~1\WC3). Type "WC3W " followed by one of the following switches:

Command-Line parameters:
-D This forces the hardware "double-buffering" to turn off. Can be helpful with video-related problems.
-NO_INTERLACE This disables the scanline "skipping" in the Wing Commander 3 movies.
-NO_SOUND Use this to disable Wing Commander 3's use of DirectSound.

oops. Forgot to put that. I have a Core 2 duo 6600. I cannot disable sound or video acceleration in dxdiag as there is no options for it. I have tried the -D and the -NO_INTERLACE command line switches. I will try the -no_sound command line switch here soon.

EDIT: No the no_sound command does not work either. I have tried to alt-tab out of the game and reset its priority to low and set it so that the game will only run on one core. This does not work. It still freezes up.

Yeah, you'll probably have to wait until more people get Vista and can figure out how to disable some of the conflicting items. In the mean time, there must be some graphics card specific effects like FSAA that you might be able to individually turn off and try out.

Yeah tried that too. Oh well. I seem to have got my dos version to work well under dosbox with only some minor audio skips here and there. Thanks for the help though.

Back