WC3 "Missing" Scene with no sound

Ilanin

Captain
So, as I'm sure most people who'll read this are aware, there's an additional cutscene on the fourth CD of Wing Commander III that doesn't play in the game, where Blair addresses what's left of Lancelot Flight before the final approach to Kilrah. If you're using HCl's movie player it's movie 32 in CD4MOVIE.TRE.

For whatever reason, my version of this file has no sound (all the other movies in that TRE do have sound), and there doesn't seem to be one conveniently lying around CIC I can link to for my Let's Play either. Can anybody help, either by locating for me a version of the scene where Blair isn't miming or by teaching me how to fix the weird lack of sound?

I'm not sure on this one, but it might be that the sound is broken or missing for everyone, since it is a leftover scene as you mentioned.

Can anybody help, either by locating for me a version of the scene where Blair isn't miming or by teaching me how to fix the weird lack of sound?

Its not a "weird lack of sound" so much as that the video was put on the disc without sound. If I remember correctly, the asteroid briefing stuff was cut, as disc space was at a premium and it didn't really add to the story. How or why they managed to put a video without any purpose compiled into a file with other videos being used smacks of simple mistake.

If we were to ever hear the video with sound would require a Deus Ex Machina act from someone who helped make or compile the game.

I'd have to look it up, but I'm pretty sure we have the text for the scene floating around... At the very least it should be in the WC3 script.

Yes, the dialogue appears to be in the WC3 script but for whatever reason the scene wasn't included in any version of the game, not even the video-rich 3DO version as far as I can recall. The complete version with sound is possibly out there in an archive somewhere, or long lost/deleted.

THROUGH A WINDOW, WE CAN SEE THE SPARTAN SETUP OF THE REFUELING DEPOT -- AND A COUPLE OF EXCALIBURS.
BLAIR STEPS INTO THE DEPOT...HE FACES ONE OR MORE REMAINING WINGMEN...

BLAIR: "I read somewhere that the darkest of times supposedly brings out the best in men.
(Shrugs) All I know is that this is what we've been waiting for since the very beginning - the opportunity to put the Kilrathi out of business permanently.

BLAIR HESITATES A BEAT, THEN CONTINUES WITH:

CONDITION: If Mission L3 flown and a success:
BLAIR: "What else can I tell you? I want you to fly with all you've got"

CONDITION: If Mission L3 flown and a failure OR if Mission L3 NOT FLOWN:
BLAIR: "Oh and one last thing. Should we encounter one Lord Ralgha...Hobbes...
He's mine. Good luck"

L3 obviously referring to the earlier mission where you have the choice to pursue Hobbes or let him go.

This is an extract from the script hosted by the CIC: http://download.wcnews.com/files/documents/WC3_Script.zip
Extract is from page 234.

Last edited:
Back