Wc3 and 4 COG versions

Stunner

Rear Admiral
Been a LOOOONG time guys and girls but ive finally gotten back to sol system and downloaded wc3 and 4 thru cog as my new gaming computer doesn't have a CD drive and don't wanna bother with external one. So here are my questions
WC3:
How do i fix the stutters in the cutscenes?
How can i use the keyboard instead of mouse in space combat?
How can i set the cheatcode in?

Wc4:
Some cutscenes i only hear sound and black screen some play just fine why?
Keyboard vs mouse?
Cheatcode?

Ive also downloading propey and secret ops is there any issues with them I should know about regarding cutscenes and combat? What about ship switching like putting in the behemoth in so??

For video stuttering in WC3 you likely need to adjust the cycles setting in dosbox. The default setting is probably too low for your machine. You can experiment with increasing cycles to somewhere in the range from 60-80k.

You should be able to change the control setup in the inflight options menu. hit 'alt+o' in flight and change your choice but don't forget to hit 'save' before exiting the menu.

Cheats are done via command line when launching the game. You will again need to adjust the dosbox config file for WC3 to change the launching line to add the cheat syntax

For WC4, what do you mean some play and some don't? Did you change anything about the way the default works? I assume this is the DVD windows version we're talking about. Are all the video files present? Or are some missing? Do the ones that play look like they're higher quality at least or similar to the dos version?

Cheats and control changes are done similarly to WC3. to enable cheats you'll have to edit the shortcut to the game and add the cheat syntax to the 'target' line

So im dumb what is dosbox?
Where do I put the command line in the syntax?
I have no idea on the 4 videos they are whatever downloaded when i downloaded the game never did any addons or anything so id assume they are all there and for example the intro cutscene doesnt play just black screen but i can hear it for both choices but the avenger destroying the station played and the lexington i to played but first few other intros on board were blacked out but briefing was fine and next reound of intros disnt work and next briefing didnt but next next ones all worked.

Again dumb where is target line?

WC3 GOG version is just the DOS version of the game. Dosbox is the environment it uses to run the game - essentially a dos emulator. GOG's downloads have everything all packaged up in a blob that you can just run to play the game. They use settings that work for some people but are kind of like a default set of tweaks that aren't really one-size-fits-all. If you navigate to where the GOG installer saves the game files you should be able to find the configuration file for WC3 and edit it in any text editor. It will be found on whatever drive you installed it on probably under something like "c:\program files (x85)\GOG.com\Wing Commander 3\dosboxWC3.conf" but this might vary depending on how long ago you installed and what drive you put it on . You can also adjust cycles while dosbox is running with f12 or something (I don't remember the exact button at the moment) and tweak it as you're playing but you'll have to do this every time you play if you don't change the config file. Here's a video you can watch which will walk you through some of the suggested tweaks for WC3

I'm not going to tackle WC4 right now. Lets focus on getting WC3 up ang going correctly first

So got the videos to not skip in wc3 and got keyboard working but where in the launcher section do I add the cheat? Top bottom somewhere in the middle so new to this config updating thing im so sorry.

In GOG WC2 the command line is in dosboxWC2_single.conf. You could modify the command with what you input in real DOS. For example, play Series 1, Mission 3:

Code:
loadfix -32 so2.exe Origin s1 m3

So got the videos to not skip in wc3 and got keyboard working but where in the launcher section do I add the cheat? Top bottom somewhere in the middle so new to this config updating thing im so sorry.
The section that actually tells dosbox what commands to load is at the very end. You could really just load dosbox and type everything in manually like you would in DOS. Whatever you type into the end 'autoexec' section just saves you from having to type it every single time.

GOG's regular WC3 autoexec section should look something like

[autoexec] @echo off mount C "." imgmount D ".\DATA.DAT" -t iso d: cls wc3.exe exit

the wc3.exe line is the one that loads the game. You would add whatever cheats you want there. so it would end up looking something like "wc3.exe -mitchel"

In GOG WC2 the command line is in dosboxWC2_single.conf. You could modify the command with what you input in real DOS. For example, play Series 1, Mission 3:

Code:
loadfix -32 so2.exe Origin s1 m3
I always want to go back to WC1 and 2 for some reason, I just like the gameplay better I suppose....

So i loaded up that file and finally found it AD but now everytime I enter space combat the game completly crashes out during first mission or 2nd loaded mission. Should there be a "space" in between the exe and - or no

So i loaded up that file and finally found it AD but now everytime I enter space combat the game completly crashes out during first mission or 2nd loaded mission. Should there be a "space" in between the exe and - or no
There should be a space before the dash but not after. As for why it's crashing, if it wasn't crashing before, work backwards through your changes till you find the one that broke it. It could be something simple like changing the core type that did it.

HURRAY Finally got wc3 to work was spelling mitchell with only 1 'L" thats why it wasnt working and crashing with 2 works just fine. Now on to Wc4

Back