WC2 Runtime Overlay Error??

Corvus Corax

Spaceman
Having finished WC, I started WC2, but didn't get very far before running into trouble.

In the second mission, Gwynedd 2, where you defend the Concordia, after I've finished off all the enemy ships and am by the Concordia, the game freezes. When I minimize DosBox and bring up Task Manager, a text appears on the frozen game screen, which says: "Runtime Overlay Error" and below it, the path to the gamedat directory "C:\games\wing2\gamedat." I've had this problem twice in succession at the same place.

IIRC, a cutscene is supposed to trigger at the point where the game freezes. Could be wrong about this tho', as it's been a while since I've played WC2.

I'm running the game via DosBox .71 on a P4 3.4, 2 gigs RAM, GF6800GT, SB Audigy 2.

I'm using the DoxBox default settings. Haven't tweaked anything on DosBox.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

Are you using the loadfix from the red note at https://www.wcnews.com/techsupport.shtml#wc2 ? You could try adjusting it to core=normal and about 4500 cycles. If a video is supposed to load at that point, it cound be a corrupt file. You might try reinstalling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loadfix got it! There was a cutscene and it was hanging there. I used that CIC game info page when I installed WC2 a couple of weeks ago, but either didn't read or forgot about that red note. I should have checked out that page before posting. Sorry about that.

Back