WC1: SM2 - Firekka 2 - Win without being balled out?

sgupta

1st Lieutenant
Hey all,

Quick question for you veterans. I'm on earliest part of SM2, Firekka 2, which is a mission to look for a convoy. You're supposed to find them, get close enough to target them (for your cams), and then fly on back to the Claw, with the specific orders DO NOT ENGAGE (with the assumption they mean only when you see the convoy, not wings of fighters elsewhere).

So I head to Nav 1 and take out a good number of fighters. Convoy is at Nav 2 - I afterburn and hit the nav point, doing my best to not engage anything, and targeting the Fralthis as instructed. Then I escape through the minefield back to the Claw.

Is it possible to win this one without being yelled at for engaging?

I tried one playthrough not fighting anything and doing my best to keep Iceman from engaging (he won't go home unfortunately), but Halcyon basically just lists the fighters I've killed with no mention of the convoy.

I also noticed Wedge's dialogue script shows the balling out scene for his playthrough.

So is there another way to complete this, acknowledge the convoy, but not get yelled at?

Thanks!

Maybe the complete debriefing information with all available branches helps?
http://wcworkshop.net/

It won't tell you, how to win, but if it's possible at all.

Find your mission in the tree to the left (don't forget to switch to the SM2 tab) and view the debriefing screen.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Thanks! It did help (and is a really cool resource I hadn't seen before)! According to this, there is a debriefing for scanning the targets without engaging, so I'm going to have to play around and figure out what's going wrong in my case. I'm wondering if Ice might hit a Fralthi before I could get him to stand down or something. At any rate, thanks, and if anybody recalls this mission, any more ideas are welcome! Will let you know if I "pass" it.

I've just played this mission not long ago, and it was the first time I actually engaged and destroyed that convoy (and got chewed up for it, of course, but boy, was it worth it!). Every other time I've played before, I got the normal convoy-sighted debriefing with no trouble. I doubt Iceman's actions are really relevant to what kind of debriefing you get (unless he dies, of course). I think the triggering action is just to hit convoy nav point (so that your nav computer auto-sets to the Tiger's Claw) and then leave. Possibly, you also have to hit all other nav points in the mission to get the victory debriefing. I doubt attacking and destroying a few of the convoy ships will affect the outcome, as long as you don't destroy all ships there.

Sycrusian, thanks! Did it! Not sure what happened the first playthroughs. You may have a point about Nav points. I did hit the Nav (specifically, 2) briefly each time (afterburning right through it) and target (I think) everything, but this time I stuck around a few extra seconds in normal flight and got the debriefing I was looking for.

Besides the getting yelled out for attacking the convoy (still not sure why that happened the first time; guessing stray fire hit it or something; none were destroyed tho), there's this strange netherworld of an outcome where you don't exactly pass or fail, and I'm not sure why. Basically, you go to debriefing, Maverick mentions the Krant at Nav 1, no mention of Nav 2 at all, and then get some rest from Halcyon. Nothing about the Nav 2 data at all (neither praising or yelling). It's weird. But I think you're right, for some reason when this happens, I have a feeling it's acting like I never made it to Nav 2.

Anyways, all fixed. (Played again and ALMOST took out the convoy too - I may still do that for fun but want this playthrough "by the book" as ordered.)

Thanks all. =)

Awesome, thank you! Could prove useful in the future or to see alternate outcomes. =)

Back