WC1 and WC2 Mod Projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concordia

Swabbie
Banned
I like the idea of a WC1 and WC2 Mod Project.

I've seen many proposals of such re-makes done before, but the same thing almost invariably happens...

1.) They take the exact same models of the ships used in WC1 and WC2 and put them into the modifed engine, whether this be a WCP engine, or what have you.

2.) They do the same as before, but they paint the ships differently.

In my opinion both of these are un-acceptable

1.) For WC1, the models are very basic (duh, they were made in 1990). They have many cartoony elements that don't look as realistic as WC3, WC4, and WCP models. Examples would be the Bengal-Class' nearly totally uncovered flight-deck. Granted for the time it would make the ship easily distinguishable as a carrier. But keep in mind, this is not an 20th Century aircraft-carrier in space. Just covering the flight deck up would do wonders. In WC2, where do I begin. Some of the ships (The Gilgamesh) look alright. Others look downright ludicrous. Most look almost totally cartoony. Practically every single Kilrathi ship. And some of the designs don't even make sense... even from a sci-fi perspective. For example, even a sketch of a Strakha lists something like useless pods or something. The Kilrathi capships, almost all of them look like they're out of Star Trek. They all got warp-nacelles, or something like that. They didn't have that in WC1, and they're certainly not the main-engines... they're located nearer to the centerlines. They also don't follow the Kilrathi design ideology followed in WC1 and WC3. The Waterloo looks like you took a half a dozen aircraft-designs, and then scaled them up to ridiculous proportions. It's like you took an XB-70, except you added a conventional wing outboard of the main-wing, swept it forward a bit, then turned the long neck into a bubble and made it look like a blimp/submarine, then added a submarine's sail on top of it, and then added two flight-decks on either side of the wings, and put a runway on top of that underneath it is some opened area which looks like a WC3 style fly-through hangar, except it doesn't do anything, then added a giant elevated hangar-surface on it, and then turned it into a tower with spires which don't seem to serve any purpose. It has two fins which look like twin-tails except they're dwarfed by the elevated conning-tower structure and don't seem to do anything. It seemed like they slapped a bunch of stuff together and tried to make it look all spiffy. In 1991 it may have, but by WC3 it looked rather ridiculous. Technically, WC3 ships are older than WC2 ones, but WCP ships came even later and they follow the WC 3 and WC 4 trends, they are more streamlined yes, but not to the extent of WC2. And then the paint-jobs. Oy! In 1990, and 1991 it made sense, limited colors, and to make it look spiffy they added some snazzy colors. But when you put that on fancy WC3 or WC4, or even WCP designs, it looks silly. The WC3, and WCP's Gray's and Blue's (WCP was gray and purple I think), but either way, those colors worked. Also just a generic white worked too. It also worked in WC:ER... after all, the Tarawa is painted that way.

2.) Just taking a WC1 or WC2 Model and painting it gray and blue doesn't cut it... it looks better, but it still looks silly. Oh, on it's own, it looks fine, but if you put a WC3 or WC4 model in there it looks ridiculous. Even a Gray and Blue WC2 Waterloo looks silly compared to even a WCP model.

I'm not the best artist, but I can draw up ideas better than that... sketches at least. I've given up the 3D thing. I just suck :p The sketches would just be rough-drafts, keep in mind.

But here are some good ideas... (Most of these are WC2 related)

Use the WC3 Strakha model in Lieu of the WC2 one. It looks better. Since all the WC2 ships are all tiny and stuff, use the WC3 size instead.

KILRATHI STUFF

-The Kilrathi Capships... get rid of those damn pods. They look silly. Make the struts into a more claw-like structure. If they have a fighter capacity, put a bay in them. The Ralatha does have a bay... the Fralthra doesn't appear to have one, and it has a bigger fighter compliment. The Kamekh... I was actually thinking, as silly as this sounds, to re-do the Kamekh with more Pakhtahn characteristics.

-Asymmetry... the ships do not necessarily have to be asymetrical. But they should be fang-shaped and aggressive.

CONFED

Waterloo: I wonder what the guy who designed this thing was smoking. I obviously show my dislike for this vessel quite often. I have nothing against it's capabilities, but, man, do I hate the way it looks. There are some ugly vehicles that fight wars damn well, but this vehicle don't make sense. There is no sense in all those rounded surfaces, two conning towers as well. No reason. When Battlestations/Action Stations/General Quarters is sounded, the Captain heads straight for the CIC anyway on most ships. Even Eisen was in the CIC in numerous cases in combat. I don't know why you'd even need a second conning tower. And again... the uncovered flight-deck thing... all that area that is used for a runway could easily be convered and hangar-service areas be added. A whole bunch of fighters could be carried in that area. The wings also serve no purpose either, you could fit thrusters on the fuselage and still get a decent roll-rate considering the ship is pretty wide. Since the Waterloo's design is so bizarre, I would prefer doing some kind of re-design of the ship

Confederation Class: It could use some work, and I do have some ideas. As weird as it is, I did make some sketches of what a WC3-ified Confederation-Class could look like. It would preserve the forward part of the ship. The aft part would be different though.

Exeter: Exeter carrying 18 fighters? Forget about it. If I recall correctly, the original WC1 specification was 8, maybe 9. Two shuttles max and that should be 11. With a 360 meter frame and it's basic overall shape, that ship would be packed to the gills. Maybe those little 9 meter WCM Rapiers... but not WC1 fighters. I'd like to extend the conning tower straight through from top-to-bottom to make it more like the Sheffield's. That dome could be on the bottom too (the same one they have on the top behind the bridge. It could be changed to an octoganal shape if polygon-concerns come into play, or if you just like that shape.

GENERAL STUFF:

Armor: WC1 armor ratings are too low. My recommendation is to bump all capship ratings up by 10. For the Corvette this rule would not apply. Plus a Corvette isn't even a Capship technically.

Shields: WC1 shields should also be phase-shields. After all, those Strakha seemed to fire torpedoes at the Tiger's Claw... Why would they do that if they didn't have phase-shields? Even if you don't want to make all the capital ships with phase-shields, at least make the carriers with phase-shields. Ideally, I'd prefer only the Corvette to not have phase-shields.

Fly-Through Bays: Oh, don't give me this stuff about extra internal area.... the Bengal for example, if you covered up the un-covered area and put hangar bays on the side (like on the Ranger-Class for example) you could make up for all the space you "lost" by making it a fly-through design. It might be a little tight, but after all that's what the ALS is for... after all, Hunter ended up banging up his fighter on one landing.

Flak Cannons: A lot of the older WC ships have flak-cannons, I'd prefer to replace them with point-defense guns.

Does anybody like any of these ideas? This is just a concept.

-Concordia

Use the WC3 Strakha model in Lieu of the WC2 one. It looks better. Since all the WC2 ships are all tiny and stuff, use the WC3 size instead.

The Kilrathi Saga manual makes clear that the 'square' ("WC2") Strakha is the prototype, and that the pointed one ("WC3") is the production version.

-The Kilrathi Capships... get rid of those damn pods. They look silly. Make the struts into a more claw-like structure. If they have a fighter capacity, put a bay in them. The Ralatha does have a bay... the Fralthra doesn't appear to have one, and it has a bigger fighter compliment. The Kamekh... I was actually thinking, as silly as this sounds, to re-do the Kamekh with more Pakhtahn characteristics.

The Fralthra's bay is underneath it - there's a good shot of a fighter launching off of a Fralthra on the FM Towns WC2 box art.

Waterloo: I wonder what the guy who designed this thing was smoking. I obviously show my dislike for this vessel quite often. I have nothing against it's capabilities, but, man, do I hate the way it looks. There are some ugly vehicles that fight wars damn well, but this vehicle don't make sense. There is no sense in all those rounded surfaces, two conning towers as well. No reason. When Battlestations/Action Stations/General Quarters is sounded, the Captain heads straight for the CIC anyway on most ships. Even Eisen was in the CIC in numerous cases in combat. I don't know why you'd even need a second conning tower. And again... the uncovered flight-deck thing... all that area that is used for a runway could easily be convered and hangar-service areas be added. A whole bunch of fighters could be carried in that area. The wings also serve no purpose either, you could fit thrusters on the fuselage and still get a decent roll-rate considering the ship is pretty wide. Since the Waterloo's design is so bizarre, I would prefer doing some kind of re-design of the ship

You're looking at it wrong - it has one 'conning tower' (in the center), and then two fins (atop which are infamous WC amorphous energy weapons).

Confederation Class: It could use some work, and I do have some ideas. As weird as it is, I did make some sketches of what a WC3-ified Confederation-Class could look like. It would preserve the forward part of the ship. The aft part would be different though.

Well... we do see a Confederation-class in 'WC3' style graphics... and its aft certainly is different. :)

Exeter: Exeter carrying 18 fighters? Forget about it. If I recall correctly, the original WC1 specification was 8, maybe 9. Two shuttles max and that should be 11. With a 360 meter frame and it's basic overall shape, that ship would be packed to the gills. Maybe those little 9 meter WCM Rapiers... but not WC1 fighters. I'd like to extend the conning tower straight through from top-to-bottom to make it more like the Sheffield's. That dome could be on the bottom too (the same one they have on the top behind the bridge. It could be changed to an octoganal shape if polygon-concerns come into play, or if you just like that shape.

I don't think you're recalling correctly, then - as no specification is given for the Exeter's fighter complement in the original WC1 (or any of the WC1 notes I've ever seen).

Armor: WC1 armor ratings are too low. My recommendation is to bump all capship ratings up by 10. For the Corvette this rule would not apply. Plus a Corvette isn't even a Capship technically.

No, they aren't. A Hornet with modern (circa 2669) armor (read: Isometal) would have 120 cm - easily outclassing its WC3 "equivalent" (the Arrow).

Shields: WC1 shields should also be phase-shields. After all, those Strakha seemed to fire torpedoes at the Tiger's Claw... Why would they do that if they didn't have phase-shields? Even if you don't want to make all the capital ships with phase-shields, at least make the carriers with phase-shields. Ideally, I'd prefer only the Corvette to not have phase-shields.

Because decloaking and then firing their lasers for ten minutes would defeat the purpose.

The argument that torpedoes shouldn't be used without (WC2-style) phase shields is silly: torpedoes are the most efficient way to destroy large capital ships. Yes, you can use missiles or guns... but based on the same half-logic, why do missiles exist when guns can do the same job slower? Why do mass drivers or neutrons exist when lasers can do the same job slower? Why do lasers exist when getting out and whacking an enemy ship with your shoe can do the same job even slower? Especially in the case of the Strakha, though, you need a weapon you can fire and then recloak.

Fly-Through Bays: Oh, don't give me this stuff about extra internal area.... the Bengal for example, if you covered up the un-covered area and put hangar bays on the side (like on the Ranger-Class for example) you could make up for all the space you "lost" by making it a fly-through design. It might be a little tight, but after all that's what the ALS is for... after all, Hunter ended up banging up his fighter on one landing.

There's no reason to add 'fly through' bays... they were a gimmick to start out with... but a 'fly into' version of the existing bay would be neat.

Flak Cannons: A lot of the older WC ships have flak-cannons, I'd prefer to replace them with point-defense guns.

Most capital ships which used flak cannons also had point defense weapons. Flak cannons were a product of the various anti-torpedo technologies used throughout the sixties - they didn't replace point defense guns (or in the long term stick around at all).

Does anybody like any of these ideas? This is just a concept.

Meh, it turns me off in the same way that the Ultima 'remakes' do - I'd love to play Ultima 2 with modern graphics, but the development teams invariably decide they want to remove X and add in a new story and so forth. I just find the idea of "I can do the original better" kind of offensive, as fan projects go.

Concordia said:
I like the idea of a WC1 and WC2 Mod Project.

I've seen many proposals of such re-makes done before, but the same thing almost invariably happens...

1.) They take the exact same models of the ships used in WC1 and WC2 and put them into the modifed engine, whether this be a WCP engine, or what have you.

2.) They do the same as before, but they paint the ships differently.

In my opinion both of these are un-acceptable...

All the things you listed are based on your personal dislikes. What does it to do with re-making the original WC1 and 2 with a new 3D engine?

Blah-blah ship has has sort of warp nacelles = looks silly = make it more elegant for my taste and then make the mod!

Is that it?

Why don't you make a mod just for yourself and see how you come up with? I believe the WC community would be very thankfull for your efforts.

I believe you are gonna post some of your own 3D capital ship designs soon???

Pictures we want pictures...

If you have some scetches...show them.

You're looking at it wrong - it has one 'conning tower' (in the center), and then two fins (atop which are infamous WC amorphous energy weapons).

What are these? Never hears of any amorphous energy weapons.

About the other changes like converd runways...
I think it could be done, but not for the old ships directly, but for the refits.
IIRC there where many ships have been refitted during the war...a better protected hangar could be sutch an upgrade.

I have made myself an different version of the Waterloo, but not with drastical changes...to bad that someone deleted my pics on the server..hope that I can upload them elsewhere to show you all.

I have also made a little different version of the Bengal..also with a smaller runway, but its still recognizable as a Bengal...also changed the Bridgepart drastical and added a Landingbay under the engines. There was so many space left that I thought that maybe the designers wanted a second bay there, but hasn't done it because of the technological limits of that time.

I've designed an updated version of the Ranger-class TCS Victory:

victory.gif

Please render it in 3DS format.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are these? Never hears of any amorphous energy weapons.

Amorphous just means 'like everything else'. The original model has big guns there... but no one ever tells us what they are. (Like the Tiger's Claw's green lasers at the end of WC1).

Wait..green lasers on the claw? Seams as if I haven't played WC1 for a long time.

From the winning end game - it heads for a planet and fires weird green lasers from its "arms".

Here are your pictures:

icestorm.jpg

murada.jpg

waterloo.jpg

And here's the info you'd sent me:

Small info

Icestorm - My try in redoing the Bengal in an upgraded version. Storybackground would be something like this. Confed salvadged a Bengal wreckage and put it back together with some reinforcements and modifications...is easier and cheeper then builing a fleetcarrier from the scretch.
PS: This model is WIP and not finished

Waterloo Remake - Its also an upgraded Waterloo or to replace the old Waterloo model. I'm not sure about what to do. Only thing for sure is that I still need to work on this one.

MSS Light of Murada - A ship I have done for an WC RPG group... WCP timeline.

Thanks for posting these.

Everyone who has comments feel free to post them..this models are WIP (work ing progress) and so things could be changed.
Except for the MSS Light of Murada...the people I have made it for like it as it is, but maybe you can think of something to make it look even better.

Concordia said:
Examples would be the Bengal-Class' nearly totally uncovered flight-deck. Granted for the time it would make the ship easily distinguishable as a carrier. But keep in mind, this is not an 20th Century aircraft-carrier in space. Just covering the flight deck up would do wonders.
Take a look at the WCATV interpretation of the Bengal . . . my personal favorite. :)

Concordia said:
They all got warp-nacelles, or something like that. They didn't have that in WC1, and they're certainly not the main-engines... they're located nearer to the centerlines.
Both the Bengal and the Fralthi had "Warp Nacelles". Plus the "warp nacelles" could also be something important. I've always thought of them as what generated the Phase Shielding for Kilrathi capships. They just had to be isolated from any other power source to prevent interference.

Concordia said:
When Battlestations/Action Stations/General Quarters is sounded, the Captain heads straight for the CIC anyway on most ships. Even Eisen was in the CIC in numerous cases in combat.
I honestly don't remember anytime a captain of a ship has been in the CIC during a battle. We get mission briefings there, but WC1, 2, WCATV and a few novels all have the commanding officer maning the bridge during battles.

Concordia said:
In addition to LOAFs remarks, then why are we given bombers in WC3 and WC4 if we can just destroy capital ships with guns and missiles?

I like the idea of following as closely as possible to our given information, ie Standoffs take on the matter :).

C-ya

Attachments

• academy4.jpg
    academy4.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 255
The new Waterloo model looks exactly like the old Waterloo model :\ Nice, though.

@ Bob

No it dosn't...the original is much runder...this one has a more boxshape...beside as I said its WIP.
I wanted to keep the basic look of it but also make it look like an update.
There are many smaller changes in this one...and more to come.
Most obvius...the fines are gone and the box-shape.
I will also make the Hangarpart larger..at the moment its quite small and make it look like its missing something.
The upper tower will be removed or at least replaced by something more fitting to the rest.
I have also added bussar-collectors underside..quite bad to see in this pic.

The best Waterloo would be the Light of Murada ^_^

gevatter Lars said:
@ Bob

No it dosn't...the original is much runder...this one has a more boxshape...beside as I said its WIP.
I wanted to keep the basic look of it but also make it look like an update.
There are many smaller changes in this one...and more to come.
Most obvius...the fines are gone and the box-shape.
I will also make the Hangarpart larger..at the moment its quite small and make it look like its missing something.
The upper tower will be removed or at least replaced by something more fitting to the rest.
I have also added bussar-collectors underside..quite bad to see in this pic.

The best Waterloo would be the Light of Murada ^_^

You know, I said almost the same thing :D (The Light of Murada thing)

Actually the Waterloo 3D-rendering just shown isn't so bad.

But I'm still coming up with sketches...

-Concordia

Bandit LOAF said:
I've designed an updated version of the Ranger-class TCS Victory:

victory.gif

Please render it in 3DS format.

Bandit...

I don't want to edit any WC3 things... Just WC1 and WC2 Stuff...

But for the record, Capt. Eisen probably wouldn't live on the Bridge or even the conning tower for that matter. The captain often does have at least on a modern-carrier, a Sea-Cabin. In this case it probably wouldn't be called that, which is near the bridge where he can be if he might be needed on the bridge in a hurry, but his quarters is actually located somewhere deep-inside the hull of the ship. On a modern-day US Aircraft carrier, it's called the O-3 Deck which is just below the flight-deck under a heavy layer of armor. The Airwing Commander and the Battlegroup-Commander's quarters are also on this deck. So is the CIC.

-Concordia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back