WC Reactors

Maniac II

Rear Admiral
In the movie Tolwyn tell the fleet to push their reactors to 120%, but the laws of mechanical efficiency (that really sounds made up doesnt it... but no its real) 100% is 100%... so does that mean that their 100% is merely the top of 'safe opperating parameter?'

Another thing, the reactors on modern day carriers put out so much energy, that there is no need to run it at 100%. The carrier simply can not use that much energy... so that leaves me to wonder how technology has improved in WC vs the rate of improvement of their reactor technology

Space Point!...

I'm sure it's just 120% of safe output - he's definately not ordering them to break the laws of physics (nor is he giving an inspirational speech.)

Reactors on modern carriers differ in two ways, though - they're not propelling them across billions of miles of space and they're not matter/anti-matter based. :)

Reactors on modern carriers differ in two ways, though - they're not propelling them across billions of miles of space and they're not matter/anti-matter based. :)

They're also not powering phase shields or batteries of energy weapons.

For that matter, they don't power large batteries of energy weapons, life support, whatever passes for gravity, etc...

Hmm. Speaking of which, how ARE they staying on the floor?

Really? But the 'Aircraft Carrier of Tomorrow' issue of Popular Science said...

Well, they might be able to field-modify those radars of theirs into EMP/radiation cannons in a pinch, or overcharge that microwave in the kitchen. But then they'd have the FCC all over them.

That said... I want a magazine called Unpopular Science, with articles on building your own command bunker, or orbital mind-control satellites. :D

Back