WC Privateer - Factions relationship

ivocleto

Spaceman
Hi all. I used to play WC Privateer back in the 90´s and I have recently started to play it again.

I remember there was a screen in which you could check your relationship with each one of the factions, and also your killing stats, but I´m not able to find it now... Anyone can help?

It's on the Quine 4000. Hit ALT-C to bring it up then go to FIN to see the breakdown.

I'm not certain without checking but I think that screen is only available in Righteous Fire, and that the Quine FIN menu in original Privateer just tells your credits. I'd say you can only find out who likes you by encountering them in space.

No, that also worked in the original game.

prcd_016.png

The little letters off to the side told you your relationship - H for hostile, N for neutral, F for friendly. Took this screenie on the pad at Achilles right after I started a game of Privateer.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your replies. I´m not at home right now but I´m sure I checked that screen and it wasn´t there... So maybe there were different versions of WC Privateer???? Will post a screenshot later today.

I believe the breakdown is only available in Righteous Fire and the enhanced Privateer CD.
For the sake of argument, I am using my old EA Classic CD version of Privateer and Righteous Fire. I can't vouch for GoG's but I shouldn't see a reason why they wouldn't be using the more advanced version. Something to investigate?

I loaded up the GOG version here at work, which is indeed the CD-ROM edition. It DOES have the screen we're looking for: hit 'c' to open the Quine and then select the FIN button. It'll have your kill breakdown by faction and then a column of letters in the right showing your allegiance.

The only version of Privateer NOT to have this is the original 3.5" diskette release, which it would be pretty rare to run today! You'd know this version immediately, because there'd be no speech at bases (everything would be subtitled, outside of the intro.)

I loaded up the GOG version here at work, which is indeed the CD-ROM edition. It DOES have the screen we're looking for: hit 'c' to open the Quine and then select the FIN button. It'll have your kill breakdown by faction and then a column of letters in the right showing your allegiance.

The only version of Privateer NOT to have this is the original 3.5" diskette release, which it would be pretty rare to run today! You'd know this version immediately, because there'd be no speech at bases (everything would be subtitled, outside of the intro.)

That's the only version I've ever known and still play to this day, I think the original floppies are dead - but I've long had it on my system. I bought the GoG release for the sake of supporting the franchise but I've not tried it, I don't think I could take hearing the voices being different to how I imagine.

So I apologize to those who unlike me, are not stuck in 1993. I would guess that the OP is playing the same version I always have.

Anyway, I win this thread ;)

But to be serious, none of the releases of Privateer and Righteous Fire required Windows 95 or later, so they literally DO all run on DOS (or DOS emulation such as DOSBOX).

I guess technically the GOG and Origin versions require modern Windows, if only for the installer... :)

Back