WC HL2 Deathmatch.... or CS map Or whatever... at least it might be someday

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
Just because, I've been tinkering with the Hammer world editor for source as a diversion between bouts of video editing. So far my efforts have resulted in this really lame deathmatch map. Obviously it needs a lot of work (its loosy based on a ranger flight deck) and will include flight control rooms and stuff. They're there already... I just need to make doors. The scale is screwed up as I was guestimating but I now have a better sense of the scale the editor creates. The textures need help and the geometry need to be made more interesting. Also the space needs populating with scale fighter models and ordinance.

Alas here it is:

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 256
thats nice - wot model formats can you import into HL2?

i know its an old engine - but i might try to make a WC themed map in Q3 someday :)

Hey, it's a start. Very nice beginning. Perhaps we can make entire map...balance it for teams and hold a tournament. :)

baphomet_irl said:
wot model formats can you import into HL2?

I'm pretty new at this so I'm not really sure. But I have XSI mod tool for HL2 on my pc so presumably I can import anything XSI can handle.

I'm still hoping somewhere in the back of my mind for a Wing Commander FPS. Hey, it worked for Star Trek with "Elite Force." Now that I said that it'll probably happen, I think EA spies on me. I said "They should make another Bond game but an old school one with Sean Connery's likeness instead of Pierce Brosnon again," and poof, it appears.

Anyway, neat idea.

Did a bit of modification to make it more in line with a Ranger. I was looking at wc3 for a bit earlier and so I extended the flight deck more to the front. Increased the scale in general, reduced the ship bays to four and moved them very near the rear of the ship, and added some detail.... etc etc. Here you go...

P.S. I've already moved those lights (ughh)

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 236
Sounds cool to me. Something different for a change. Most Counter-Strike games I have seen is set in some desert location. :cool:

All I have to say really is that these stairs were monsters to make.... So heres pretty much the view from the top just outside the door to where flight control will be... once I figure out how to make doors. oh and I increased the intensity of all the lights and adjusted their color. (I tried a yellow hue but it looked really odd. Besides, the blue is way more wc:) ) And if your wondering, that grey rectangle on the right has something to do with the debug mode I was running the game in.

Attachments

• test2.jpg
    test2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 235
are any of the wc3 models available in Softimage format? - is it easy to convert them from max or .obj - it wud be cool to have some ships in there :)

Looking good AD!

Are you planning to model just the flight deck and associated rooms (flight control, etc) or would you eventually include some of the other decks from the Victory, such as the briefing room, berths, rec room, bridge, gunnery control, etc?

A map including most of those rooms with say a Kilrathi/CT spawn point on the flightdeck inside a Kilrathi shuttle and a Confed Marine/T spawn point near the brig (wherever that is on the Victory?) could make for some fun WC deathmatch action if it was well balanced. The Kilrathi could attempt to rescue hostages/captured operatives held in the brig, while the Confed marines would need to repel the Kilrathi boarding party. There are quite a few other possibilties as well.

How have you found working with the Source editor, AD? Do you have previous modelling experience with other game engines/SDK's?

Cheers,

BrynS

BrynS said:
A map including most of those rooms with say a Kilrathi/CT spawn point on the flightdeck inside a Kilrathi shuttle and a Confed Marine/T spawn point near the brig (wherever that is on the Victory?) could make for some fun WC deathmatch action if it was well balanced. The Kilrathi could attempt to rescue hostages/captured operatives held in the brig, while the Confed marines would need to repel the Kilrathi boarding party. There are quite a few other possibilties as well.

And with a kilrathi looking variation, you could invert the roles of boarding part and defenders :cool:

BrynS said:
Looking good AD!

Are you planning to model just the flight deck and associated rooms (flight control, etc) or would you eventually include some of the other decks from the Victory, such as the briefing room, berths, rec room, bridge, gunnery control, etc?...

To start with, just the flight deck and adjacent rooms. Once those look good I might - if I have time - try some of the other rooms seen in the game.

How have you found working with the Source editor, AD? Do you have previous modelling experience with other game engines/SDK's?
BrynS

The only modeling experience I have is a bit of autocad. So far the source SDK is easy enough to work with.... However I don't have a screen shot of the massive amount of work I did last night cause for some reason the compiler doesnt seem to be doing its job properly. Every time I run it today it wants to know where a certain map file is... which the compiler *should* be creating. If I just run it off the file I was working with (just fine) yesterday, it isnt recompiling the new data. The game loads and I get to look at all the same crappy mistakes I've since fixed.

i was just thinking that Battlefield 1942 would be a good game to make a WC mod for - Galactic Conquest is brilliant - although theres never anyone on the servers :(

Ok... this is better. lights need work (brightness isnt bad but about half of them need to be spot lights) and another layer is going over the X's. plus some of the walls dont have any detail yet.

Attachments

• deck1.jpg
    deck1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 217
  • deck3.jpg
    deck3.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 196
AD said:
Ok... this is better. lights need work (brightness isnt bad but about half of them need to be spot lights) and another layer is going over the X's. plus some of the walls dont have any detail yet.

thats looking very nice now :)

are bevelled corners easy to do in Hammer?

I remmeber how much of a pain in the bum they were in GTKRadiant...

Back