WC Audio

Wedge009

Rogue Leader
Yo, Mad Hatter, I finally got round to getting the SO1 speech files from you site, can you explain how you did that?

Also, now that I've got WC3, I forgot that it uses MIDI for music. But am I right in saying that WC4, Prophecy, and K Saga use streamed audio for music?

Yes, WC4, WCP, and WC:KS all used digital music.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

Ah! good question Wedge.
smile.gif

It`s pretty simple, actually: There`s a little peace of software called Gold Wave, that can extract audio from almost any type of file, so what I did is, I used it to extract the speech from the speech files of WC2, then I just saved it in WAV format (not before I resampled it to 16bit sound), and the rest is history.

I only have the dos version of WC3, so I can only hear the music in midi format. Lucky for me, I have a pretty good midi card (well, 2 good cards, actually
wink2.gif
), so the music sounds almost the same as in the KS version. I could (and have) record WC3 midis to WAV, encode them to MP3, and post them. You can judge for yourself with the WC3-Intro2 mp3 I have on my driveway account. It`s a recording of the midi version with some tweeking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice...

Actually the thing that confuses me is that the communications speech file for the 'mutineers' in SO1 is part raw wave data, part encoded. I have no idea why, but if you have a listen to that, you'll see what I mean.

A couple of other things I wanted to say.

In the flight start-up checklist in WC3, are the first two lines in reference to the good ol' Batmobile? As in:
"Atomic batteries to power"
"Turbines to speed"

And anyone else catch the Star Wars reference in the SWACS scan at the start of Prophecy? TK-421, heh heh.

Oh, yeah, I just remembered. I'm still uneasy about the Kilrathi Dreadnought being 22km long. Now that I've got WC3, I see the cutscenes, and the regular capships don't look all that small compared to the dreadnought. Certainly not the 22:1 length ratio claimed.

Then I see the Behemoth jump into Loki, and the Victory looks absolutely tiny next to it. Admittedly, we don't know how big the Behemoth is, and the Victory isn't that big, but then when the Behemoth blows up Loki VI, it doesn't look as big compared to the Victory as it did in the jump sequence. Am I making any sense? Oh well.

You must not forget about perspective. A carrier in a scene my look like it is next to the Dreadnought but actually be kilometers away. Distances are hard to tell without a fixed reference point. Trust me on this, once took a much longer swim than I intended to once, me and a friend of mine tried to swim to an island that seemed closer than it actually was. Luckly there was a bouy that we rested on until we had enough energy to swim back. Perspective can be very very tricky.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

True, the Kilrathi fleet scene was the one where Thrakhath said he'll render Locanda useless, it flashed by pretty quick. And the video was never hi-res...

Wedge009 said:
Yo, Mad Hatter, I finally got round to getting the SO1 speech files from you site, can you explain how you did that?

You can use a sound extractor I made, if you want to spare your Goldwave job. Get it on my site.

The TRE manager sounds like a good idea, Pete, and congrats on yer wedding. It'd be nice to see what Origin sticks in those multi-meg files.

I haven't had time to see the cutscene again, but about that Kilrathi fleet, I'm sure the were ships behind the dreadnought which looked relatively big as well.

Back