WC Armada

Cougar

Spaceman
Does anyone here know where I can find a full version download of the game WC Armada? Just wondering. Thanks for reading. Cya later

There is no such thing as a downloadable version of Armada. Have you ever heard of this thing they call Copyright Laws?

Give me 10 bucks and you can have mine. I can't get it to work, so why not pass it on to someone with more DOS knowledge than me?
smile.gif

------------------
Member of the LMG, and hating it. (Disgruntled Man)

Striking a man down with your blade is clean and honorable. Shooting him in the back from the darkness of an alley and hurrying to blame it on another was something else altogether.--Darth Vader

Last edited by a moderator:
Cougar said:
Does anyone here know where I can find a full version download of the game WC Armada? Just wondering. Thanks for reading. Cya later

Since downloading it would be illegal, even if we knew of such a download we wouldn't tell you, or anyone else for that matter.

True enough, but I have a question for any of you legal folks out there. Patents expire after several years, depending on the type of technology (with medicine, I believe it's three or seven years, and I've heard 15 years for some other materials). Also, I think copyrights expire after a certain amount of time, making the intellectual property "public domain." Am I mistaken, and if not, how long would it take for Wing Commander Armada to become public domain?

------------------
RSHercher
http://www.dqbiz.net
Access code: 1215958

I may be wrong, but I think it would be illegal to distribute Armada for about 70 years that way.

I'm sure that copyrights, and patents last more than several years.

*yawn* yeah sure copyright laws...thats a good one. The game is now old...so old that I forgot when it came out...or when I last played it for that matter. What they dont know cant hurt me. Ha ha

Cougar said:
*yawn* yeah sure copyright laws...thats a good one. The game is now old...so old that I forgot when it came out...or when I last played it for that matter. What they dont know cant hurt me. Ha ha

LOL!
smile.gif

Please, tell me the truth. Do you actualy come to a WC BB, and than expect us to give you the address of a place that will give you the game for free? The fact that the game is old doesen't mean sh**. The game came out in 1993 (which makes it 7 years old just in case you can't add). And I realy doubt that the copyright would expire in 7 years. And I doubt that anyone gives a damn what can or can't hurt you. Ha ha.

Yeah, ripping off the company that brough us so much enjoyment is realy fun. Ripping off anyone is very fun, isn't it?

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited March 12, 2000).]

Hey I just asked a question. I didnt ask to get lectured and then get my intelligence insulted(the adding sh**). A simple no would have been much better. I would have said alright thanks and I would have left.

Few quick comments:

Patents expire in like 100 years after the filing, IIRC (not entirely sure on the timeframe). Why Diznee is scrambling to try to buy longer patent 'lifespans,' before Mickey goes public domain.

Copyright expires 70 years (currently) after the copyright owner has expired or otherwise ceased to exist. As the copyright owner of computer games is generally the company that made it (special contracts being another matter seperate from this particular discussion), the corporation's expiration is the point from which that 70 years is measured. (Corporations are, for the purposes of law, one single individual, though its personnel may come and go over the years.)

And, please, don't insult my intelligence by bringing up "abandonware"...

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

[This message has been edited by Death (edited March 12, 2000).]

God I love Wing Commander! Only game you'll ever find where the fans are more loyal then the makers!

What is "abandonware?" Sounds like a new kind of nonstick cook pan. "Order now, and we'll throw in this special abandonware coated silverware set absolutely FREE! That's right, you get the Abandonware crock pot, three sizes of sauce pans, the soup kettle, and the 16 piece coated silverware set all for only $19.95! Plusshippingandhandeling,creditcardsonly,sorry,noCODs."

------------------
RSHercher http://www.dqbiz.net
Access code: 1215958

[This message has been edited by RSHercher (edited March 12, 2000).]

No question that it will be a long time, if ever, before the WC series goes public domain (unless someone in EA decides to be REALLY nice..). Does that mean that the use of WC ships in Vega Strike is illegal, or is it OK because Vega Strike is freeware?

Are there any major movements to get Origin to rerelease WC:KS or WC4?

Chernikov said:
Are there any major movements to get Origin to rerelease WC:KS or WC4?

He he, but both of them had already been rerelased. It's doubtfull that they would release them again because the demand isn't big enough.

God I love Wing Commander! Only game you'll ever find where the fans are more loyal then the makers!

Well, I don't think that Origin is being less loyal than the fans and is releasing Armada for free because one person can't buy it.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited March 12, 2000).]

>Does that mean that the use of WC ships in
>Vega Strike is illegal, or is it OK because
>Vega Strike is freeware?

I would think that would be up to the judge. And then, it would only go before the judge if Origin wanted to bring up charges. And why would Origin want to bring up charges? It's free advertisement, I'm assuming no one is making money off of it (in actuallity, any site mirroring the download with banner ads would be registering hits, but it would be up to Origin to show how much money was being made (see: "stollen from Origin") by whom specifically because of their intellectual properties, but I don't think that money would exceede court costs, legal fees, etc.), and it would probably be a disadvantage for marketing new products due to bad press (look at the fan web sites issue FOX is having with Buffy the Vampire Slayer; it's just bad press. Now, Star Wars, on the other hand, is setting up web space through StarWars.com for fan made pages.). Then again, any press is good press, it seems, so who knows?

Of course, there's an old saying, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission." If the Vega Strike team actually asked Origin for permission to use or copy their intellectual props, they'd probablly get shot down (even if it would be a good idea to try to micro-market the game to online buyers for a minimal fee, and pay small royalties to the creators). I could be wrong,

Now if their marketing boys were REALLY slick,they'd take direction from the FreeSpace group; their add-on pack was a commercially distributed collection of user made missions. Minimal company developement costs and time, and all products created with their mission scripting engine was entirely their property.

Of course, nothing I say is of any consequence since I'm neither a lawyer or a marketing director. I'm simply a poor college student. But I think my logic is sound...

Earthworm said:
Yes by saying sh** I insulted your inteligence. I just can't figure out how.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Sorry, forgot that there was a confused/disgruntled look. Better emoiticon to get out what I want to say.
------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Striking a man down with your blade is clean and honorable. Shooting him in the back from the darkness of an alley and hurrying to blame it on another was something else altogether.--Darth Vader

[This message has been edited by Knight (edited March 12, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Knight (edited March 12, 2000).]

Back