WC 3+4 for PC/PS

Shadowcat450

Spaceman
I just bought Wing Commander 3 and 4 on ebay, but I didn't realize they were the Playstation versions, not the PC ones. Since I got a great price on them, I'm not going to make a big deal of it with the seller, but I'm just wondering if anyone here knows if there is any differnce between the PC and PS versions?

The WC3 psx version doesnt have the land based missions, but it has great movies in its place :), and it also have Hobbes explanation (i guess).
The WC4 psx version doesnt have land based mission also, and a lot of FMV sequences were taken out:(...plus there isnt the Circe missions.

The flight graphics aren't as good in the WC3/4 PSX -- and in the case of WCIV a lot is cut out. The positive side to the Playstation games is that WC3 features a whole mess of scenes cut from the original game -- Hobbes' explanation, the newsbriefs, the 3D planetary attack missions and so forth.

Then I certainly shouldn't tell you that WC3-3DO has all-new missions -- and a couple new ships.:)

(Actually, a cheap 3DO system would be a wonderful investment for any WC fan -- you can play WC3 with all new missions and much nicer video... and you can play Super Wing Commander!)

(Also, Gex, which is like Sonic, but instead of a really fast hedgehog, you're a really fast Lizard. 3DO was not known for their originality.)

whats wc3 3do?
and whats super wing commander?

another question: are the wc books worth getting? i mean are they genuinely good or do people only have them because they are die hards?

Hehe, well, I'm not really busy much -- since I'm home for the semester because of the surgery, I'm only taking a few classes... all of which are at night. So I have time to post to the CZ more often (and get other things done <G>).

Anyway, the 3DO was a console from the mid-90s -- it competed with the Sega Saturn and the Sony Playstation and lost badly... it had two *great* Wing Commander games on it, though -- and it's obtained a cult following in recent years.

The WC3 version for 3DO is fairly different from the PC one -- it has different missions, some different ships and more video... and the video quality is nicer.

Super Wing Commander is a very interesting title... it's a remake of Wing Commander 1 and Secret Missions 1, with a new addon that takes place between SM1 and SM2. It has entirely redone graphics, full speech and some new plot points added...

might have to get a 3do then.

i looked at when you started posting, and it was over a year ago, you done nearly 1000 posts :)

and ive been registered about 3 weeks and this is post number 114. i dont get a spell in the brig for this... do i?

I haven't really posted much until recently -- I think I was at 700 two days ago. :)

I'm enjoying this a lot, though... most of you don't remember, but I got my start in Wing Commander online when I became a staple at Origin's Official Wing Commander Chat Zone some years back. Combined with the fact that Chris Reid got his start posting too much at AGWC, it looks like the best way to make a name for yourself is to post *a lot* :)

well, since i have to have 2000 posts to be major general... im assuming the brass are real die hard fans.

anyway im sure everyone on here has heard of me now. maybe.

can you tell me how i edit my quote thing?

Not really -- they do not run well with Bleem!... but Playstations are super-cheap these days, pick one up used.

How much is super cheap and btw i guess ebay would be the place to get wc3/4 for psx? Just for clarification 3do actually came out before saturn and playstation, it was just eclipsed by them

TO bad for the 3DO, that machine is far better then the PSX and the Saturn. It's way faster (in loading). I still don't know who destroyed my WC3 disc 1. Now i never can enjoy the beautifull scenes (almost DVD quality), exept the ones on disc 4. That's were i last saved them.

The scenes were certainly not almost DVD quality -- they're not even anywhere near the quality of the WC3 video dailies I've seen.

The machine itself is definately inferior to the PSX -- just compare the WC3 space combat on the two platforms. 3DO uses a 2D 'WC2' style engine for its missions, whereas the PSX actually renders 3D ships.

Back