WC 3 & 4: Ace or Hard difficulty?

Glabro

Spaceman
Just finished Standoff on my WC Series playthrough, and am now starting III.

I recalled something about Ace actually being harder than Hard because of afterburner use or something, and it's not so clearcut in the simulator. So what's the best difficulty to fly on in your mind? Crazy is a bit too...frustrating, as the Kilrathi are pretty damn impossible to gun down.

I don't have my guides here, but that sounds familiar. It might be that your wingmen are also better and/or the enemy uses less missiles. I would just start at Ace. If it's not too bad, then move up to Hard. And if that's okay, go to Nightmare.

I finished the whole replay of this game on Ace. I'm not sure there is a difficulty jump for Hard.

Flying on nightmare will make you a better pilot. You'll probably see your rankings go up on the Standoff scoreboards. It may be tough at first, but it's possible to beat it and you'll gradually figure out ways and tricks to pass missions. I don't think it's THAT much tougher either, the name of the difficulty level is more intimidating that the reality of it.

Flying on nightmare will make you a better pilot. You'll probably see your rankings go up on the Standoff scoreboards. It may be tough at first, but it's possible to beat it and you'll gradually figure out ways and tricks to pass missions. I don't think it's THAT much tougher either, the name of the difficulty level is more intimidating that the reality of it.

Being a better pilot is difficult, ever played blazing angels in multiplayer? you could go all out and just focus on the guy to gun down at sight, or meet him and go chase eachother "low and slow" and duke it out, pursuits and stuff....

Is it as hard as Doom or Duke Nukem on the hardest settings? The bad guys respawn! It would make every mission like trying to save Tolwyn's dream!

Nightmare is preaty dang impossible (and boring) and should only be played if your a hard core player.

I only play on the hardest difficulty occasionally. One imagines that the designers intended most people to play on Hero and Ace, so the game exhibits the best "gameplay" on those levels.

I know Bungie does this with Halo. Heroic is seen as the level "the game should be played on" for maximum enjoyment. Legendary is if you are itching for a challenge.

Back