Video trouble

Grab a copy of WINE (it may have come with your distribution) It is a Windows Emulator that is fairly stable. If you want DOS programs grab DOSEMU.

TC

------------------
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

A new processor?
Bad idea... you also need a new Motherboard for that...
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing though... your best bet is not to use an Emulator with the Wing Commander programs. Yes, it is fairly stable, but not reliable with hardware.

Oh... and... get some RAM with that Motherboard .

frown.gif

Don't worry though.
A low-end Pentium with just Processor, Motherboard, and RAM is only about $500 without tax.

------------------
"To take one step forward, you must look back three steps... and walk forward while looking back... "

Why would I need a new motherboard? There's nothing wrong with my pentium, the CPU just gave out. As for buying more memmory... Well here are my system specs.

64 meg of ram
Graphics Blaster 3DFX card with 4 meg of ram
One 20 gig, and two 2 gig hard drives
40x CDROM
ESS 1868 soundcard
15 Relisys monitor
56k Boca modem
5, and 3 inch dual flopy drive (need the 5 for WC1)
75 mhz cpu (dead now but what to you expect for $10, had it for two years) I bought a 200 mhz CPU for $30 on ebay.

You may say it's a piece of crap, and I may agree with you sometimes but so long as it runs WC I'm happy. I can always update when the next game comes out.

Hey, Deadman, what the maximum processor speed your motherboard supports?

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

So you want to know what my max cpu size can be do you? Don't think I have no clue as to what your doing. I know your plotting agaist me. You all are! Oh but you'll pay, you will.
smile.gif
smile.gif
Just kidding.
smile.gif
smile.gif
Hahaha. *glares at screen*

Acording to the documentation it can hold up to a 466 mhz or even a 686 CPU. I'm kinda doubtful though if it can use a Pentium III since they have more pins. The motherboard doesn't have any jumper. It uses what they call a soft menue were you enter the data (cpu size and voltage) into the cmos. I don't care if it's a super computer. I'll just buy the stuff as needed. My friend has a Petium 466 (32 meg ram) and it wasn't any faster than mine when it cane to running WCP & SO. That's sad... I'm willing to bet my system will wipe the floor with his when I get the new cpu.

--------------
If at first you don't succeed. Give up.

Oh well, I think it's not really important how fast your CPU is. It's vital how well your other components work together.

OT: I did it, yes, I did it, finally! Those Mantas are gone!

And yes, there is a conspiracy against you!
smile.gif

------------------

Check your motherboard manufacturer's web site for BIOS updates... sometimes the updates let it take faster CPUs
smile.gif
(like you really need that right now
smile.gif
)

TC

------------------
Member of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

I knew it! Just give me their names so that I can um, "deal" with my little problem.
wink.gif
I've been saveing up for some time now to hire a "cleaner" to take care of everything. Those bastards are going to PAY!!!

Great to here you made it through that mission. I've been meaning to ask you about it.
---------------
Honor those that have fallen before us. http://www.gotoworld/gunnersmamorial.com

OT: Honouring the dead with your sig?
smile.gif

------------------

She was just a young pilot that died needlessly.
frown.gif
If only she had taken things more seriosly (but not too seriosly) things may not have turned out as they did. You know what I mean.

I'm hoping, realy hoping that CPU comes today.

BTW, where's that list?

------------------
They've got use surrounded. Poor bastards.
http://www.sballiance.com/cgi-bin/UBBCGI/Ultimate.cgi

Ok,
-So, you got your self a naff 486-33 (of wich I have bined manny), to tide you over till you get your newer CPU of your good system arrives.

Well here's my opinion.
smile.gif

1. put your 486 a side and call it aday with that machine.

2. If you want a temp system pick up a P75 or so for under 50 Quid from a second hand store and add a second hand CD-rom for a 10'er at the most. This will let you play some games and use it for multi player later (for games like Duke Nukum).

3. I have noticed that, in my line of work I have seen more Busted P5-75's that there should be. I know of no bust P5-60 or 66's and they are meant to be less reliable. I do know of a couple of bust P5-90's as well.

4. You Have bough a P5-200 of a K5/6-200.
Why? as an example my local second hand shop offered me a K6-2 350Mhz for £20.00, and i sayed no. I got a 333Mhz off my pal for £10.00 includeing M/B. From a second hand clearance about 14 months ago I picked up two Intel P5-233's. (both clock to 266). for £15.00.

5. I think you paied to much for your 200Mhz CPU, you have a S7 computer and it sounds like a Super Seven mother board. If your hanging off to get a K6-2+ then I can understand. Other wise you should of streached to something newer.

6. Your grahic card is very poor, I would suggest upgradeing it. (I should know I have two of them).

7. Damm I'm jelus of your hard disks!!!

8. My system Specs are :

System one (main System),

64Mb Memory (PC-100)
4.5Gb HDD U-DMA33
K6-2 333Mhz (should clock to 350Mhz).
2MB UMA crap 2D onboard card
4Mb Vodoo I
10Mbit TP ethernet card.
17" monitor (second hand)
carp Keyboard, MS-mouse.

System Two (back up)

64Mb of memory (PC100)
2Gb Mode 4 HDD (geting old and nosie)
Intel P5-233 (does clock to 266)
2MB UMA crap 2D onboard card
4Mb Vodoo I
10Mbit TP ethernet card.
17" monitor (second hand)
carp Keyboard, MS-mouse.

System three/four (incompleate)

2x32Mb PC100 memory
1x400Mb mode 2 HDD
2x x24 CDROM
1xP5-233
1xP5-133
1xP5-75
1x486-120Mhz (not overclocked).
Couple of motherboards (1x486 3x586)
3x TP Ethernet cards. (3com).
1x24port TP hub. (+ cables).

I would like to mention that i will be geting rid of 80% of my stuff including systems when I can add some cash and flog the rest to get a K7, + Geforce.

I have been playing Homeworld and it kicks but, but looks hidius on a voodo I, it is however playable. (even on a P5-200)

9. Even though the Voodo I is way out of date if you compaire it to some FX cards that were out at the begingin of the PII's you will find you card is faster than a lot of them. That is why your system seems to be the same speed as your pals, if he changed his Fx card to even just a vodoo II of banashee yours would be a lot slower. For newer games it just does not have the memory to disply the textures anyway.

(NB Go play home world).

bye

Hope you have fun with it for a long time!
smile.gif

OT: There is no list yet!
biggrin.gif

Dammit, why does my profile still says I'm a cadet?
frown.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nighthawk (edited January 12, 2000).]

Back