Vesuvius-class or St. Helens-class?

The Shadow

Spaceman
Someone has probably already asked this but shouldnt the vesuvius-class carriers technically be called st. helens-class? i mean you see in the wc4 cut-scenes clearly that the vesuvius has a cv-02 and the st. helens a cv-01?

The Vesuvius was definitely the first in her class. She was fully operation when the wto slugged it out, while the St. Helens had major problems.

Best, Raptor

Does the numbering system for carriers reset as a new class comes online? Is there a #1 for each class that has a hull number of 01, or does the hull number reflect the number that the carrier is in the whole carrier picture?

the numbering system is anyones guess in my opinion, i dunno. But the ST. Helens was really 02, they just screwed up

Originally posted by Greywolf
Does the numbering system for carriers reset as a new class comes online? Is there a #1 for each class that has a hull number of 01, or does the hull number reflect the number that the carrier is in the whole carrier picture?
Generally, no, it doe snot start over. However, every so often (however rarely), military will reset the numbering system, particularly when the change in generations is thorough. For example (though an aviation one), after the "Century-series" fighters, the U.S. started over with the F designation. That's why we have the F-14, F-15, F-16, etc.

In the case of WC capships, there's some question as to the VESUVIUS-class and MIDWAY-class carriers. Obvioulsy, the VESUVIUS-class in the games are CV-01, CV-02, etc., and the MIDWAY-class are CVX-1, CVX-2.... But there's been mention (from LOAF, I believe) that the VESUVIUS ships would have been CV-70 up, and the MIDWAY-class vessels CV-80 and up. Dunno from whence this info comes, though.

Originally posted by Chameleon102
Yeah, it took a while to get the St. Helen's up to scratch, only for it to get totalled by the Bugs in SO.

That was the St. Helens?

Yes, that's the Mt. St. Helens.

The CV-70 and CV-71 designations for Vesuvius and MSH come from the WC4 novel -- the CV-80+ designations are an extrapoloation thereof.

Back