Venture Class

jammyo2k

Spaceman
Love the new screenshots of the Venture class corvette, it looks fantastic, well done Eder. You keep on proving over and over that you can make the old WC2 sprites into stylish and effective meshes.

Will the specs be the similar (in turns of arms) to the original Venture class? 2 laser cannons (although I noticed turrets on the screetshots), are not going to be terribly formidable, even with the low shields and armour of the other ships. Do you know if it can fight effectively (like the Kilrathi Corvette from WCP) or will it be like the Bug corvettes, known for their cannon-fodder like qualities?

We're taking a few liberties with the corvettes in Standoff... both the Kamekh and the Venture will be more powerful than they were in WC2 and WC1 respectively (Quarto and I figured it made no sense to have corvettes that are as armored/shielded as medium fighters, with so few armament, etc.)

The armor and shield multiplier has increased sixfold (compared to the multiplier we've used to convert fighter stats), so the Venture and Kamekh will be almost twice as protected as a Broadsword... with the Venture having better shields, but the Kamekh having better armor (ie: all proportions between their original stats were respected - what we're doing is making all corvettes more powerful than they originally were in comparison to fighters).

In the Venture's specific case, apart from both dual laser turrets you see on those screenshots, we've added FF missiles and torpedoes. It totals to 6 lasers, 6 FF missiles, and a pair of torpedoes.

--Eder

Yep, the new Venture is much more effective than the WC1 version. But it's a friendly target, so you won't really get to test its capabilities :p. Note, by the way, that laser turrets on a corvette can be very formidable, because unlike the turrets on an ordinary capship, they cannot be targetted and destroyed separately.

Personally, I can't wait to see the Kamekh-class in action, though. Now that's a corvette ;).

Awesome model, Eder!

Just a question; Did you the generic capship textures from scratch, or did you take an existing texture and modified it? I myself tried to do some textures but I've never got them to look that good.

Originally posted by Fer´kal
:D Sounds nice.. hmm got Pictures to post or did I just miss those?:confused:
Does sound like you missed them, yeah... go to the website. There's info about the Venture's stats on the Confed capships page, and there are screenshots of it on page 3 and 4 of the screenshots section.

Originally posted by Lynx
Awesome model, Eder!

Originally posted by Lynx
Just a question; Did you the generic capship textures from scratch, or did you take an existing texture and modified it?

All my textures are variations of the same diffuse and bump maps applied to a pre-rendering of each piece of the model (I use different diffuse and bump maps for the Kilrathi ships, but the technique is still the same).

For capships, I just apply these maps to a blank canvas instead of a render... that's why they don't get the same smooth looking shading as the fighters do (I have to do this because I obviously can't render every single piece of every single capship before texturing them... so all the plain green areas on all the Confed capships actually use the same texture).

So, basically, the generic capship textures are just a diffuse and a bump map, applied to a plain-colored plane (or a plane with a confed logo texture on it, and etc).

--Eder

Looking nice as always, Eder. You don't need any extra praise from me. :)

Those protrusions at the front, they actually shoot? And are those guns/missiles at side? They'd surely pack some punch together with the turrets.

Hey ! I just saw the Venture! Great Job once again...Eder is not just a modeler and a Texturer ,he is an artist ! ;)

You can tell a beautiful ship if you see one...

as is the case with the Venture.

You keep doing it Eder. You show us all those beautiful ships and then expect us to wait till you finish the game for us to play them.

It is unfair, I tell you, UNFAIR!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, I also have to wait until Standoff's complete to play with those ships. :p

Right now I can only place them in half-empty navpoints and take screenshots of them - that's not quite playing, I tell you! ;)

--Eder

Back