Used to work, now it doesn't

U

Unregistered

I last played Standoff back in August and the game ran fine, no problems. However, when I tried to replay it just now, the game crashes upon loading (brings up the title screen, then gives me the error message "standoff.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close"). My OS is Windows XP, I still have Standoff set in compatibility mode to Windows 98 (and have tried Windows 95 as well). I have since updated my Graphics card, and just downloaded the latest driver to that, still nothing. Also downloaded the latest auto patch. And I've played around with the OpenGL/Direct 3D settings and that hasn't fixed the problem. The regular Secret Ops works fine too, the problem only occurs in Standoff. I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but it's getting real frustrating, and I've tried the suggestions found in the FAQ and have searched the board back for people having similar technical difficulties. Any ideas would be appreciated, and if you need more information regarding my system specs, please let me know and I can provide them.

Relevant information:
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6200 (driver version 6.14.12.6658)

I believe our resident tech guy (Pete) has been very busy lately. He would be able to provide a probably useful answer as I'm just guessing here....

Have you tried older drivers? Maybe it's the newer version that is causing the error.

Standoff does have issues with some nvidia drivers. The latest ones worked for me a month ago, but it's possible the newest version broke it again. If updating your video drivers don't fix this then you can try to roll back to pre 260 drivers. (I'm currently running the 266.58 driver)

I tried rolling back the driver to the original version, that still hasn't fixed the problem. Any other ideas to try would be appreciated.

Back