Unusual editing request for help

Arcadian15

Spaceman
Hey. I'm looking for someone to help me with some editing that I am doing. I'm writing stories based on the wing commander universe and I am wanting to flesh them out a little. The Kind of editing i'm looking for is in the game UNREAL. The main characters in my stories fly on a drayman modified into a semi-carrier. I want to make an unreal level of the ships interior. I also want to do one of a Kilrathi/Human starbase.

If anyone knows how to do some unreal editing and would be able to help it would be much appreciated. I'm working on a layout of the ship right now.

If you want more information on the universe and what I'm writing go to

Mjlnor Chronicles

YFNS
(YOUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDERMAN)

If I may suggest...

one of two things. The Unreal engine isn't exactly the nicest to work with, mods wise.

There is already a FPS project being worked on, however they're using HalfLife as the engine. You may want to talk to them.

If I were to go about a project like this, I would be using the Quake 3 engine, writing it as a mod for that.
A fair deal easier to work with, and I just believe the game is oh so much nicer. Your decision though, but I really can't offer any support when it comes to Unreal editing, other than knowing that it's horribly difficult comparatively.

On the other hand, the Half Life engine will actually allow for you to do stuff with the storyline, whereas if you wanted to do this with the Q3 engine, it would take a lot of initial coding.

Hope that helps a bit.

Originally posted by akashra
If I may suggest...

If I were to go about a project like this, I would be using the Quake 3 engine, writing it as a mod for that.
A fair deal easier to work with, and I just believe the game is oh so much nicer

Hey, Akashra-
I've been thinking of doing something like this myself, and I have a question based on your suggestion above: Does Q3 (like Unreal/UT/Half Life) have a level editor included WITH the package when you buy the game itself?... If so, it might be worth it for me to go out & buy it to see if it can help me in my work. Lemme know, eh?...

QERadiant comes as part of the Quake Tools source. It takes a bit of learning, but then, I never managed to look at any kinds of 3D modelling stuff... If you've done any kind of 3D modelling, then it's relatively simple to get the hang of.

QERadiant doesn't come with the game, but it's part of the Tools, which I think are an 8MB download or something... the source is available as well.
A few have made slightly modified versions of QERadiant.
Have a look through PlanetQuake or CHWD (Challenge.World), you should be able to find what you need there... If you're desperate, you might be able to ask Khaile, Jude, arQon or one of the top mappers for a few hints... they're all part of Challenge.

I'm not looking to do a mod, I just want to do a level that looks like the inside of a capitol ship, with possibly some WCesque textures. So, if anyone is interested in helping with this, let me know. Or email me using my profile.

Danke

I'm not an FPS modder myself, but to make maps in Unreal, (which is MUCH easier than using QERadiant) it comes with UnrealEd which is a map editor, texture browser, stuff like that. Its ridiculously simple to use.

I've worked around in it a bit, I'm used to cad type programs, and it's a little different. I've been looking through it the last week or so and don't have the time/can't get the hang of it.

So I guess what I'm asking is if someone has some experience in it that could help me, or that I could possibly comission [with payment being notoriety in my stories.(worth more than money. Really it is:))] to work off of a description of the places and build the levels. It doesn't have to be extravvagant, or even have to be in unreal, but I chose unreal cause it's popular now, easy to use, and has a lot of neat textures. I just want something where people can "walk" around inside the ships, and that I can take screenshots of for an HTML walkthrough of the ship.

So if you're interested give me a buzz or reply here.

Persistent little SOB aint I?

Oh addittional. If anyone is workin on mods or whatnot, and wants some story or background written, I'd be happy to help. (esp. if I can get some help with this).

Check out my stuff and see if you like it.
Mjlnor Chronicles

Originally posted by Arcadian15

So I guess...or that I could possibly comission [with payment being notoriety in my stories.(worth more than money. Really it is:))]

...Spoken like a true cheapskate!;)

Originally posted by Arcadian15
I'm not looking to do a mod, I just want to do a level that looks like the inside of a capitol ship, with possibly some WCesque textures. So, if anyone is interested in helping with this, let me know. Or email me using my profile.

Danke

Um, I have three scenes (not levels, really) I created in TrueSpace 2. They are basically a 3D versions of pilot barracks & bar scenes you see in WC1, and the pilot barracks scene in WC 2. Would this help?...

Not really but thanks for the offer.

The Mjlnor (Ser Arcadian's "Cargo" Ship) is a modified (read:HEAVILY) drayman. It's got it's own crew quarters, fighter bays (two of them), specialized cockpit, engine structure, facilities rooms (recreation, conference, holographic suit, kitchen, laundry), large ship storage, etc. Nothing really looks like what you would find in a confed ship. Since it's home to only 7 or so people (and one Kilrathi) they can make room for living. I haven't decided what to do about a bar in the shipyet, but I'll work on it in Unreal editing. That lets people actually walk around inside of it. (and shoot guns if they want to:))

I've got Unreal Tournament Skins of the crew members up on my site. No levels yet, but you can see what the people look like. I modified them from other peoples skins, and the ones that they sent with unreal.

JohnArcadianfull.gif

Check out what the others look like here

Here is what Ser Arcadian looks like.
(Yes he is vaguely based off of me, and yes all the other characters except for Ducca, and any Kilrathi or characters that were already present in teh WC universe are based off of people I know. )(and in most of the female cases dated:D)

Back