Two Milestones Are Better Than One! (May 27, 2015)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
rsi_announcement6t.jpg

First off, happy birthday to Wing Commander creator Chris Roberts! He turns 47 today, which means he was knee-deep in the very first WC game at the tender age of 22. Incredible! For reference, Origin founder Richard Garriot (whose birthday is the Fourth of July) was only 29 in 1990 when WC1 was released.

Today also marks more than 12 years of continuous front page updates at the CIC! We don't always have earth-shattering news each day, but I continue to be genuinely impressed at the community's unwavering commitment to the series. 2015 is really hitting its stride with a number of fantastic fan projects in high gear. You can take a trip down memory lane in our news archives here.

--
Original update published on May 27, 2015

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd been wondering how long it's been since the last break. Thank you CIC staff for keeping the news rolling. Happy birthday to the commander-in-chief as well.

Yup, 12 years. Overall, it was actually just pretty much 2002 (plus or minus a few months) that were slow for us. We were reeling a bit in the early 2000s from the unfortunate cancelations at Origin (which still existed at the time!), but it was Prophecy for the Game Boy Advance that really woke us up and got us back on the right track. I've written on that subject at https://www.wcnews.com/news/2013/05/28/celebrating-ten-years-of-wing-commander-prophecy-advance - which highlights that today (well, yesterday since it's past midnight now) is the 12th anniversary of that game's release!

While we're talking about the age of games, here's another shocker: in a few months, Wing Commander Arena's 2007 release will be closer to the WC Movie's 1999 release than the present day! Early next year, we'll be farther away from the Arena launch than the Secret Ops launch was when Arena was released...

Yeah, and in two years time, it will be the tenth anniversary for Arena. Time does fly.

...Come to think of it, is Arena still playable? Or has it been retired? It's sad to think that this is one WC game that will simply disappear forever, and it seems nothing can be done about it...

Yup, 12 years. Overall, it was actually just pretty much 2002 (plus or minus a few months) that were slow for us. We were reeling a bit in the early 2000s from the unfortunate cancelations at Origin (which still existed at the time!), but it was Prophecy for the Game Boy Advance that really woke us up and got us back on the right track. I've written on that subject at https://www.wcnews.com/news/2013/05/28/celebrating-ten-years-of-wing-commander-prophecy-advance - which highlights that today (well, yesterday since it's past midnight now) is the 12th anniversary of that game's release!
Sorry for the double post, but seeing the latest news update reminded me of something - namely, that you guys cheat :). I guess there is some sense in spreading out the news updates so that there is something every day, but the fact remains that if you were to publish news as soon as you are able to, you definitely wouldn't have news every day. I mean, the ArmEdit news article posted today... Whiplash posted about that something like two weeks ago. It's kind of not really news any more ;).

Yeah, and in two years time, it will be the tenth anniversary for Arena. Time does fly.

...Come to think of it, is Arena still playable? Or has it been retired? It's sad to think that this is one WC game that will simply disappear forever, and it seems nothing can be done about it...

It's crazy to think it was 8 years ago that a bunch of us stayed up all night marathoning WC Academy before Arena went live. It doesn't feel like it's been that long!

I'm pretty sure it's still playable. I haven't removed it from my Xbox 360 since I bought it.

namely, that you guys cheat :).

Think of it more like saving a bit of the wealth for every day. :p

Aside from two or three games with licensing issues, all XBox 360 games are still fully playable. It's only the original XBox games that are no longer playable online. The 360 had/has much longer legs than the 180, as it's still actively being sold and marketed years after the XBox One launched (in fact, it got a form factor redesign to match the One at the same time as the One was launched). So there's currently no end in sight for the 360 games like Arena. I fully intend to have a big 10-year anniversary tournament in 2017! When the time comes that 360 Live support is sadly discontinued, the game will fortunately live on in single player form. Melee, Meteor Storm, Gauntlet and Proving Ground modes continue to work without a network connection. Obviously leaderboards and online multiplayer are the heart of Arena, but it's nice to know that a decent part of the game will continue as long as we have XBox 360s that turn on!

Sorry for the double post, but seeing the latest news update reminded me of something - namely, that you guys cheat :). I guess there is some sense in spreading out the news updates so that there is something every day, but the fact remains that if you were to publish news as soon as you are able to, you definitely wouldn't have news every day. I mean, the ArmEdit news article posted today... Whiplash posted about that something like two weeks ago. It's kind of not really news any more ;).

I've thought on this subject many times, and you can call it what you want, but I do consider us to be publishing the news "as soon as we are able to" and as good as we ever have. :) Sometimes the thing we report on happened in the past, but at the end of the month, we're still reporting on 30ish things that happened in 30ish days.

We've pretty much always reported on things "when we get to them." In the 1998-2002 timeframe, we might go a few days without news and then batch eight or so posts into a Saturday when we got around to it. And our updates were sometimes more simplistic than we post today: "This place wrote an article on WC, go see it." "This mod posted some new pictures, here they are." (and actually, we posted very few pictures!)

But around 2003, we really committed to getting something out on the front page every single day, since that drives a rhythm that a community can rely on. Every Wingnut in the world can load up the CIC every 24 hours and expect to see something different at the top of wcnews.com. I've been recognized in public by CIC readers who've stopped me to say this means so much to them that somebody cares enough to write about WC ever day, which is why we keep doing it. This forcing function actually often gets news out to the readers in a more timely manner than the way we originally did it. When things are timely or breaking, we'll report on them quickly. And then in our drive to make sure there is absolutely something in the news every day, sometimes we have to dig deeper. Sometimes we'll find a creative angle on something that wouldn't otherwise be newsworthy or we'll point something out that was newsworthy but would be equally so whether it was posted this month or next. Or we'll touch on a project or group that has been keeping busy - not necessarily doing a thing that qualifies as breaking news - but by virtue of still being consistently active, even if that last activity was a week or two back, we'll share it because it's still worth bringing to everyone's attention.

And I think we're do a lot more investigation than is obviously apparent. What might turn into a few sentences, some links and a picture could easily represent two hours of searching for something to write about, learning about/reading up on that thing, and then beating back the inevitable writer's block (sometimes coming up with a headline at the end is the most exhausting part!). The entire staff either has kids or some crazy 12-hours-per-day job (or both). Nobody who comes to the CIC has the free time that they did when the site opened in 1998 - so we only have the capacity to pump about one story out per day. We don't write half a dozen posts on the weekend and parse them out over the week. This is our everyday hobby. While we keep a running list of things that could potentially turn into few news posts (and some of them never do), in most cases, things like that Armada Editor update are really as new to me on the day we posted it as they are to the rest of the CIC readers who don't keep up with all the activity at the CIC Forums. :)

On top of what Chris already said, I was going to reply that it's not cheating, it's simply managing the news into a steady daily flow instead of pushing it out in infrequent bursts.

While we're being nostalgic, though, it's nice that I recognise everyone who's posted here so far.

When it's truly breaking news, we do make the extra effort to push an update out ASAP too though, usually rolling back a few other posts in the queue. We wouldn't sit on news of a new WC game for example.

It's crazy to think it was 8 years ago that a bunch of us stayed up all night marathoning WC Academy before Arena went live. It doesn't feel like it's been that long!

(...)

Crazy indeed; the WCM's age as well. While I don't think I participated in the Academy marathon, I remember logging into the countdown for Arena to find out it had been released in advance and everybody was already playing. That was a bummer (for a short time then experiencing a new WC game for the first time was just awesome again).

BTW, I like the way the CIC publishes news very much. It'd be much more "hassle" if I had to read as many articles as for the birthday e.g. every other day. Better have 1-3 articles per day, than some day with 10 and then days without any news. So, carry on!

Back