TV series

Rod Montague

Spaceman
I don't understand why Wing Commander has not been turned into a TV SERIES ON SOMETHING LIKE THE SCIFI CHannel or the WB. I mean it would have a ready made audience as well as a cast of actors that I assure you would be excited to have a sucessful long running series. I've seen Lexx and these other shows and I know for certain that Wing Commader would destroy them all. Financial success, great story-telling, why isn't this happening?

Actualy it has been turned into TV series, somewhat. WC Academy cartoon series (which can also be downloaded here) is set before WC1. Blair and Maniac are still in the academy and are training on the 'Claw under Tolwyn who's still a Commodore. It includes some ships from later games like the Arrow, Hellcat, Kilrathi transports, Kilrathi cruiser (or something that looks a lot like it, which happens to be a dreadnought in the series), Longbow and Sabre.

However, there are milions of games/books and many other things that have the potential to became great TV series, but unfortunetly almost all of them won't ever be seen on a TV screen. So if you want something based on the games or novels you probably won't ever see that.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited March 24, 2000).]

Just a thought, but I recall a series called Space: Above and Beyond. This was the series was the closest that I have seen to Wing Commander. After 5 (6?) seasons, if was finally cancelled. appearently, people were not liking the fact that the war didn't end or something. Also it was supposedly a VERY expencive series to make, so they may have been losing money as well. I also seen to remember reading an interview with the cast and some of them were talking about leaving the series anyway because there was no real progression in it.

No, I don't dought that WC would make a good series, but, it might have a similar effest to the general populus. Also, we all have our own little WC worlds in our minds. Seeing some other director/producer's images of a WC world might just piss us off or disillusion us. I, for one, don't want that.

Any, there are my thoughts,

Deltakiller

There's a lot more factors than "I think it will do well because there are lots of Wing Commander fans." For example.. if you were an executive.. you might take a look at the profits of the Wing Commander movie and look for something better.

Thou art misinformed... Space: Above and Beyond was a fairly cool and very WC-esque show that was cancelled after *one* season.

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
( loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Bombardez les Ptitard!

If you have the Sci-Fi chanel you can still watch it. I just saw one episode today after not seing it for few weeks, and it's definetly one of the coolest sci-fi shows out there. Much better than boring-trek or similar stuff.

IMO, there are only two SF TV series worth watching:

S: AAB and B5 !

Ok, I watch DS9, too. But only because there is not much "SF-ish" to watch around here.

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

Don't disparage Star Trek, Earthworm. There shall be dire circumstances if you should chose to follow that path...
smile.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited March 26, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
Dire circumstances? Maybe if you're flying an epee... otherwise there isnt that much the Enterprise can really damage... its not a warship for crying out loud!!

I've been out of the B5 loop for a while. What's this about a sequel series or something?

------------------
I don't respect your authority BECAUSE YOU HAVE NONE!!!

Crusade got cancelled after 13 episodes AFAIK.

Oh no, I just read in my TV guide that they'll start airing new VOY episodes next week!

But also good news: Another TV station is planning a rerun of B5 (the forth season at least) for the end of April.

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

If Space above and Beyond was cancelled after I season it must of been A VERY LONG one. I remember watching it every week for at least a year. I seem to remember that the war did end 'cos they nuked the ,Chigs home planet or something.

Anyway WC would make a great series to us but if you were a TV Exec\Director and you'd seen the stats about the WC Movie would you make a series out of it?

BTW Crusade was Crap I'm glad it was cancelled. It took everything good in the B5 universe and killed it off. They should of used an existing character as the captain.

[This message has been edited by Jonny2284 (edited March 27, 2000).]

There were 2 SAAB seasons. Each had about 12 episodes. In the final episode, they were about to invade the enemy's holy moon (orbiting their homeplanet), they surrendered, it turned out to be a trap, some people died, and the show ended because nobody watched it. Unfortunately.

SAAB had one 24 episode season... the production number for the last episode was 124, not 212.

The first episode first aired on September 24 1995, and the last on June 2 1996.

Crusade was pretty bad when it started... but it'd gotten much better by the last couple of episodes. A lot like the first season of B5
smile.gif

------------------
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick

The Wing Commander CIC

Bombardez les Ptitard!

Last edited by a moderator:
As I recall, on the B5 website they announced that Crusade was going to be a miniseries of only 13 episodes. Though i would love to see another B5 series or even a movie.

------------------
Death is but a door, time but a window, I'll be back......

jms intended Crusade to be a five season series just like B5... before it was actually released TNT pulled the plug and decided to market it as a "special 13 episode miniseries".

------------------
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick

The Wing Commander CIC

Bombardez les Ptitard!

Back