Totally wierd.

Ridgerunner

Vice Admiral
I tried to load the turrets patch, and I went back into the game, and the turrets were there, and Achilles was invisible, and my ship on the landing pad and in the upgrade area and in autopilot and in all but F1 view was invisible, and the Militia Gladius was invisible, and so was Hector and the missiles. What the heck are you guys doing?

I'm betting everything is invisible. You aren't supposed to replace the units directory with the units directory in the zip file. The file units/units.csv in the zip file replaces units/units.csv that you already have, and the bfxm files in units/subunits/turret_medium get added to the files that are already there but everything else should remain untouched. It sounds like you wiped the units directory and replaced it with the contents of the zip file, leaving you with no models.

O.K. I got my laptop back, and I downloaded the turrets patch to the desktop. Could someone please give me moron instructions how to get it into the game without F-ing everything up again? Pleeeeeeeease?

Ridgerunner said:
O.K. I got my laptop back, and I downloaded the turrets patch to the desktop. Could someone please give me moron instructions how to get it into the game without F-ing everything up again? Pleeeeeeeease?

Oh dear, Umm, how do I explain this in a way that you'll understand it.

MamiyaOtaru, I'd really rather you did this one. I can show it, I can do it in my sleep, but to tell him how in simple English?

Unzip the file turretsPatch.zip into a temporary directory.

You should be able to do that by right clicking on the file and telling it WHERE you want to unzip the file.

Once you have the file unzipped in a temp directory, look at the directory structure of the files. It SHOULD be:

Temp (or turretsPatch it depends on your unzipping programme and how you have it configured.) I'll call it temp

Temp
|__cockpits
|. . . . . . |__turretrear-cockpit.cpt (sub directory of cockpits)
|. . . . . . . . . . . . |__turretrear-cockpit.cpt (file in turretrear-cockpit.cpt directory)
|__units
. . . . . |__units.csv
. . . . . |__subunits (sub directory of units)
. . . . . . . . . . |__mediumrear-turret (sub directory of subunits)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |__turretgunsmall.bfxm (file in mediumrear-turret directory)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |__turretsmall.bfxm (file in mediumrear-turret directory)

Place each of the files contained in these directories or folders in the same directories or folders of your privateer directory. It's that simple.

Assume that temp is your Privateer or Priv directory.
Using drag and drop, COPY the CONTENTS of these directories into the directories with the same names.

You could drag and drop these folders into your privateer directory, but not knowing your system and how it's configured, you could do the same thing all over again.

As long as you only overwrite the FILES you're okay. You replaced the entire directory structure with your unzipping programme last time, wiping out all the other files and directories.

If you COPY these directories into your privateer directory you only overwrite files of the same name, not the entire directory structure. You want to overwrite the CONTENTS of the directories, not the directories themselves.

When I extracted the contents of the turrets patch into my Privateer directory, all of the files went to the appropriate place automatically. I believe that's how the .zip archinve was structured. If you use something other than WinZip, results may vary.

It's a bit hard to explain.. it simply needs to be extracted into the Privateer directory. As long as Winzip (or whatever prog you are using) preserves the directory structure, everything should go where it needs to be.

Wendy, you forgot units.csv :D Thanks for explaining it, it is rather hard to do somehow. I obviously failed when I tried it lol

MamiyaOtaru said:
It's a bit hard to explain.. it simply needs to be extracted into the Privateer directory. As long as Winzip (or whatever prog you are using) preserves the directory structure, everything should go where it needs to be.

Wendy, you forgot units.csv :D Thanks for explaining it, it is rather hard to do somehow. I obviously failed when I tried it lol

No, you didn't. Unless I miss my guess, he did exactly what you said to do. The problem is how his unzipping routine is set up.

It's set up to REPLACE files and directories, not overwrite existing files, because what happened is the directories or folders were REPLACED instead of the files within them updated.

============!!!-CORRECTION-!!!===============

Temp
|__cockpits (sub directory of Temp)
| . . . |__turretrear-cockpit.cpt (sub directory of cockpits)
| . . . . . . . |__turretrear-cockpit.cpt (file in turretrear-cockpit.cpt directory)
|
|__units (sub directory of Temp)
| . . . |__subunits (sub directory of units)
| . . . | . . . |__mediumrear-turret (sub directory of subunits)
| . . . | . . . . . . . |__turretgunsmall.bfxm (file in mediumrear-turret directory)
| . . . | . . . . . . . |__turretsmall.bfxm (file in mediumrear-turret directory)
| . . . |
| . . . |__units.csv (file in units directory)
|
|__master_part_list.csv (file in Temp directory.)

================!!!-END CORRECTION-!!!===================

Grumble Mumble. . .
maybe one of these days I'll get it right the first time!

Champaign anyone?

\../
.\/
_|_

O.K. I printed all that stuff up. I'll give it a try later when I get a chance.

One other thing, there's a Privateer9 directory, and a Vegastrike directory. There's another wierd thing going on, I'll let you know what it is when I get a chance to crosscheck it.

Back