Torpedoes and Devastators (sp?)

Anagram

Spaceman
WHY?? The Dev. has a PLASMA gun! It goes THROUGH phase shields. Torpedoes have a long lock time, and can be shot down! That space would be better used to propel the ship faster, or hold more ordinary missiles...

------------------
Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot, over! -Spyder

Simple.. the torpedoes have a much longer range. You can sit at distance for a little while until a torp locks on, then run in for the kill. A plasma burst followed by a heavy torp can destroy just about any component. Just hanging around in turret range waiting for your gun energy to recharge is an accident waiting to happen.

Besides that, the AI doesn't know that the plasma hurts capships, so your wingmen will only fire torps at capships.
smile.gif

------------------
Barrie "Cpl Hades" Almond
balmond@wcnews.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone should fix that AI problem then. OSI perhaps...

------------------
Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot, over! -Spyder

The torps help out by damaging outside of the plasma's range, and they increase the damage you do by launching while the gun pool recharges. The plasma fires every two seconds anyway. It helps to have the torps so you can kill the capship before your wingmen.

I can't really se the wisdom of useing torp's aginst bug Cap ships. On my game the turrets shot them all down. Even if I burnner striaght twards it, and drop it at point blank.

Am I doing something wrong here folks?

------------------
If knowledge is power Then to be unknown is to be unconquerable.

Most likely, no offense.
Sometimes torpedo hits in the center of the larger ships' engines won't do damage, why this is is anyone's guess. Cold have something to do with the structure of the engine port or maybe the OSI guys want you to plan your attacks better. The alien bridges are somewhat sophisticated, you need to hit the top portion of the bridge in order for damage to count. Study the bridge when it is deystroyed, the darkened portion tells you what the critical section is.

To get trough turrets, take your rocket pods and hit them from a vector that does damage, the Triton turrets can be irritatingly picky at this. If you release the torp just as your over the target, you should hit it, it you are shooting from a vector that will ensure a proper hit. If nothing else, take those GDed turrets out with your guns before you make your runs, or while your torp is locking, shoot the turrets with your guns without switching targets.

Does that help?

Death's Head said:
Sometimes torpedo hits in the center of the larger ships' engines won't do damage, why this is is anyone's guess.
That happened to me few times, but only with the transports. None of the other capships ever gave me that problem.

The alien bridges are somewhat sophisticated, you need to hit the top portion of the bridge in order for damage to count. Study the bridge when it is deystroyed, the darkened portion tells you what the critical section is.

Realy?
smile.gif
My torps always do damage to the bridge as long as they don't hit something else sticking out of the ship that's near the bridge.

I never bother taking out turrets on capships other than the Triton.
smile.gif
I can sit behind the engine where my torps are safe, or right above/behind/in front of the bridge. I never had a torp destroyed by a turret on a heavier capships.
Does that help?

NO IT DOESEN'T! u sUc d0T"s huD!
biggrin.gif

Actually that does help DH. I never knew that damage would only be applied with a hit on a specific spot of the structure targeted.
BTW has anyone ever tried Skin Danceing?
"flying dangerously, and fast close to the hull of an Cap ship. be carefull though, flying into an obsrturuction will hurt. A LOT."

And yes I have tried it in the Devestator. Mostlly it helps to keep fighters off your back. But it's also a great way to get rid of those pesky turrets!

------------------
If knowledge is power Then to be unknown is to be unconquerable.

NO IT DOESEN'T! u sUc d0T"s huD!
Hey Earthworm...
laser_target_icon.gif
Target Locked

Uh do you recall the Kilthati Starbase bridge, you can only hit the antennae from a certain vector, otherwise the torp will miss or hit something else. I suppose you never missed, eh wormy?

Yeah I've skin danced, this one, she was a very skinny...oh...yeah I've done that too. Does the Wasp on active booster count?

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited March 24, 2000).]

Death's Head said:
NO IT DOESEN'T! u sUc d0T"s huD! Hey Earthworm...
laser_target_icon.gif
Target Locked

Hey! I came out very cute on that picture!
smile.gif

Uh do you recall the Kilthati Starbase bridge, you can only hit the antennae from a certain vector, otherwise the torp will miss or hit something else. I suppose you never missed, eh wormy?

No, I never miss with torps.
smile.gif
And you weren't talking about the torps missing, but about hitting and not doing any damage. if you fire the torp from a wrong position it will miss. The torp isn't the most manuverable weapon out there you know.
smile.gif

Besides, why would I want to take out a Kilrathi starbase in Prophecy?

I doubt it.
And you weren't talking about the torps missing, but about hitting and not doing any damage.
*laughs*
if you fire the torp from a wrong position it will miss.
Then it sure looks to me like you just proved my point, which just before that, you contradicted. Interesting...
The torp isn't the most manuverable weapon out there you know.
Duh, I didn't know dat Eartwerm.
I can't help it Earthworm if I fail a training mission for not eliminating da base. Hmph.

Death's Head said:

I doubt it.

I don't realy care.
smile.gif
It doesen't take much skill to target a capship and fire a torp.

And you weren't talking about the torps missing, but about hitting and not doing any damage.

*laughs*
Why? That is what you said.

if you fire the torp from a wrong position it will miss.

Then it sure looks to me like you just proved my point, which just before that, you contradicted. Interesting...
Um, no. If you get a lock, and then turn your cockpit around so that the targeted component is on the edge of the screen the torp will obviously miss. I never seen a torp miss because it isn't fired from any specific angles that were programed in there because OSI is evil.

The torp isn't the most manuverable weapon out there you know.

Duh, I didn't know dat Eartwerm.
Yes, I'm sure you didn't. Except that a torp won't miss if you don't fire it from a completly stupid angle.

I can't help it Earthworm if I fail a training mission for not eliminating da base. Hmph.

You're playing the training missions in bombers?
smile.gif
I didn't play the Prophecy sim that much, and I sure as hell didn't strap into bombers, even if I can't complete the mission because of that.

How amusing.

I don't doubt you hit something with a torp, a maser bolt, an unimportant piece of hull, a fighter, or one of the many struts the bug ships have. What I originally meant, Earthworm was I doubt you are 100% accurate in doing damage to the desired component all the time. You're saying from Day 1, your torpedoes have dealt damage every time.

Um, no. If you get a lock, and then turn your cockpit around so that the targeted component is on the edge of the screen the torp will obviously miss.
Not necessarily, and you should have been more specific before.
I never seen a torp miss because it isn't fired from any specific angles that were programed in there because OSI is evil.
Well good for you. Would you like a cookie? By firing from a good vector I meant lining you little tub of bolts so that that nothing will be in your torpedo's path on it's way to the target. The only reason I made a reference, which obviously you took way too seriously, is because a torp going off on the upper portion of the strut, just below the actual bridge not doing any damage irritates me because in SO, half the ship can be invisible at any time from your perspective.
Yes, I'm sure you didn't.
Funny how comming from you that doesn't shock the hell out of me.
Except that a torp won't miss if you don't fire it from a completly stupid angle.
It can miss alright. You have enemy turrets, obstructions, idiotic wingmen, transparent ships. Have you noticed how some Tritons take more torpedoes to kill than others, even when you hit them squarly?, Lampreys seek out enemy bombers and plaster them with that rapid-firing cannon hoping no torpedoes will get through. Watch how they act on a bombing run sometime.

EW says:
Except that a torp won't miss if you don't fire it from a completly stupid angle.
I've seen torps do some pretty crazy things when fired at a perfectly normal angle...

EW says:
I never seen a torp miss because it isn't fired from any specific angles that were programed in there because OSI is evil.
But OSI is evil. Everybody knows that...
smile.gif

Quarto said:
I've seen torps do some pretty crazy things when fired at a perfectly normal angle...

Well, I haven't. Aside from the fact that they sometimes don't do any damage when they hit the center of the engine (which doesen't happen to me since I avoid hiting the center, and anyone who experienced it once should know that too) I never seen anything crazy about the way torps behave.
But OSI is evil. Everybody knows that...
smile.gif

Now, now Quarto, just because they didn't send you any of the WC games for free when you asked them to doesen't make them evil.

Death's Head said:
You're saying from Day 1, your torpedoes have dealt damage every time.

Yes, I am. I read in a FAQ from OSI even before I got the game that if you fire a torp into the center of the engine it sometimes won't do any damage, so I avoided doing that, and always got a clean torp hit (unless of course I tried to mess up on purpose).

Not necessarily, and you should have been more specific before.
Of course it'll miss. The torps are much less manuverable then the war era bombers. They will miss always from my experience. I tried many times to destroy the Midway in the sim, and the torp would never hit if it can't turn in time.

Well good for you. Would you like a cookie?
Yeah, I would. And some milk to go with that.

Yes, I'm sure you didn't.

Funny how comming from you that doesn't shock the hell out of me.
Yeah, it's even more funny since it wasn't suposed to shock anything out of you.
smile.gif
I guess I acomplished my mission.

It can miss alright. You have enemy turrets, obstructions, idiotic wingmen, transparent ships.
But if a turret shots down your torp or your stupid wingman flys into it by a mistake the torpedo doesen't miss. It's destroyed by something it obviously can't control.

Have you noticed how some Tritons take more torpedoes to kill than others, even when you hit them squarly?
No. I have noticed that sometimes the engine on a Triton will seem darker than usual (which usualy happens when I get very close to the engine), and if your torp hits it at that time it won't do any damage. That's why I always pull out from my attack run and try again if that happens.

Lampreys seek out enemy bombers and plaster them with that rapid-firing cannon hoping no torpedoes will get through. Watch how they act on a bombing run sometime.

Lampreys are just for target practice.
smile.gif
I never seen one taking out any torps, or bombers. Even though that seems to be their job.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited March 25, 2000).]

Now, now Quarto, just because they didn't send you any of the WC games for free when you asked them to doesen't make them evil.
Sometimes those little jokes of yours are rather odd, Earthworm
smile.gif

Back