tolwyn's cheap shot (wc2 dialogue)

is the line cited a cheap shot?

• definitely. i'm surprised paladin didn't hit him.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • a little, but understandable given bluehair's rep at the time

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • no. he has a point, even if he's working off incomplete information.

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bandit LOAF said:
That considered, "Carl LaFong" is probably a good one to add to the 'Claw survivors list.

Could Carl LaFong be a pen name for Blair? Or are you just citing that LaFong and Blair had very, very similar lives from the Academy through the first two games and their add-ons?

LeHah said:
Could Carl LaFong be a pen name for Blair? Or are you just citing that LaFong and Blair had very, very similar lives from the Academy through the first two games and their add-ons?
What on earth would be the point? Pen names are used to conceal your identity - which Blair couldn't possibly hope to achieve.

The bookend for LaFong's story is that he's telling it some two decades after Blair's death -- so, whoever he is, he's not Chris Blair.

you did? I probably missed it.

And you mean that officially lafong is another person that existed in the WC chronology? because I know that he was supposed to be blair (before blair had a name and a history) and I know that they later gave him a name... I thought that we just had to use what is usable (description of academy life, small details for missions, etc) and ignore the other parts (the date he's writing and so on)...

"Carl LaFong" is a classic "non person" name, similar to John Doe or Alan Smithee.

There's comes from the W.C. Fields movie "Its a Gift", where someone is constantly asking Fields' character where he can find Mr. LaFong (who never shows up).

If you Google for it, you'll find it used in all sorts of different settings -- it's just a really really old reference.

the person in the academy manual was supposed to be bluehair?

(sudden absurd mental image of bluehair in an eyepatch)

Ooooooooooooooooooh! Cultural stuff... I knew about John Doe (not very hard to do, really) and Alan Smithee. But never heard about LaFong.

I think that all protagonists in spin-offs like Armada, Academy and the official guide were supposed to be Blue-Hair-until-proven-wrong-by-the-next-number-game. So they were written up vague enough to allow them to be someone else. It ends up being funny, because there are at least 3 other pilots whose carrers were VERY similar to Blair's.

I don't think anyone *actually* thought that the Academy or Armada character was going to be the "WC1/2" guy -- WC3 was already in development when these games came out, afterall... it's just the basis for the writing, that the character is basically the same.

(As for an eyepatch -- Paladin had one in SWC... and I had one for quite a while. They're not permanent.)

Back