Tolwyn and Stover

EnigmaVector

Veteran Spaceman
Based on the Wing Commander timeline, did Geoffrey Tolwyn and Admiral Deke Stover know each other? Stover is mentioned in the manual for WC1-SM1 as being part of Confed High Command when he sends the Operation Thor's Hammer memo to Col. Halcyon of the TCS Tiger's Claw.

Also, did Adm. Stover die at any point during the Kilrathi War (or at any point thereafter)?

Good question! The short answer is that we have no idea, Admiral Stover is never mentioned again in any context. I suppose you can assume they knew each other as they were both flag officers in the same theater at the same time… but beyond that, who knows!

Behind the screens what you're seeing is the fact that the original Secret Missions was written alongside Wing Commander I while Secret Missions 2 was developed by the Wing Commander II team and intended to introduce elements that were already planned for that story. So that's why you hear about Tolwyn, Jazz, Doomsday, Prince Thrakhath and so on… and some things that were intended for WC2 but cut, like the mention of Shotglass watching Jerry Rivers.

(I have always assumed Deke Stover was named after Deke Slayton, the Mercury 7 astronaut who went on to run the Astronaut Office. He would've been the spitting image of a steely eyed missile man aged into command at the time!)

Back