This thread is about cars; if you fag it up I will delete you.

This thread is not about how much we love the police.

But this is the type of brain dead law making that is making owning sports cars next to impossible in this country now.
Of all the things you said I find this the most curious. The automobiles in your story are a 1948 Ford and a 1962 Plymouth Valiant. If these are examples of your definition of "sports car" I think you should take a trip down to the nearest Porsche dealership. It will blow your mind.

Of all the things you said I find this the most curious. The automobiles in your story are a 1948 Ford and a 1962 Plymouth Valiant. If these are examples of your definition of "sports car" I think you should take a trip down to the nearest Porsche dealership. It will blow your mind.

I never said they were sport cars, although that 48 ford would be pretty close if you saw all the modifications that were made to it...

UPS said:
This message was sent to you at the request of CORKSPORT PERFORMANCE LLC to notify you that the electronic shipment information below has been transmitted to UPS.
What the hell is wrong with me? I guess I'm not buying that Mustang this summer.

80mm, bitches. It should sound something like this, except maybe slightly breathier and without popping. That's the full turbo-back piping, and I'm keeping my stock downpipe/cat for now.

I like the sound of that setup, Frosty. Looks really attractive as well. In the end, I'm kind of a snob when it comes to appearence - I don't care how fast it makes you, if it 'don't look right, it ain't.' Good choice!

As for the 24 Hours, it was definitely a good race this year. Not as good as last year (it will be hard to top that finish), but great nonetheless. How 'bout those Aston LMP1 cars? I loved the paint - you could almost swear you were watching McQueen scream buy in a 917!

One thing that I was not happy with this year was the way Speedtv.com broadcast the race. Last year, you could, at any time, hop online and select any number of in-car camera footage from several entries to view the action up close and personal - even if the Speed guys were currently broadcasting on TV as well. There was none of this 'we can't overlap coverage' crap. It was great! I would end up having the computer on the entire time to follow certain cars while I had the commentators up on the big screen to tell me about the latest loser who plowed into the wall.

Also, the commentator from 'Radio LeMans' were OK - last year, I believe it was the Speed crew online as well. Could be wrong.

I hope to travel to LeMans one year to watch the race live. There's just something about the history of this event that begs for an up close and personal inspection.

I like the sound of that setup, Frosty. Looks really attractive as well. In the end, I'm kind of a snob when it comes to appearence - I don't care how fast it makes you, if it 'don't look right, it ain't.' Good choice!
I've got to confess that their downpipe would have unleashed a whole lot more power and cost a few hundred less, but I wanted the sound immediately. I guess some latent ricer tendencies are showing through.
As for the 24 Hours, it was definitely a good race this year. Not as good as last year (it will be hard to top that finish), but great nonetheless.
Last year went off like someone wrote it that way. I can't imagine we'll see such a perfect finish in a long time.
How 'bout those Aston LMP1 cars? I loved the paint - you could almost swear you were watching McQueen scream buy in a 917!
I loved the noise. They were almost unique in their engine configuration this year. You could identify them by sound, it was fantastic.
I hope to travel to LeMans one year to watch the race live. There's just something about the history of this event that begs for an up close and personal inspection.
It's one of that very tiny handful of races you feel almost obligated to attend at least once, and the 24 Hours has done a much better job keeping interesting and relevant than some others, like the 500, for example.

I HAVE REMEMBERED A SOMETHING THAT IS A FUNNY:

Drink that in. I believe this bedliner fabulous "Ronin" Cougar was chilling in the parking lot of the senior center.

Enjoy iPhone auto-white balance. It's bad for your retinas, but good for the soul.

I installed the catback a couple days ago, and took a few pictures. The underside of the car is tragically uninteresting, so I didn't bother getting any of the assembly.

The whole deal leaks a tiny bit at the top of the flange where everything mates to the stock catalytic converter, and it rattles a tiny bit, which I intend to iron out with some adjustments. I've already contacted Corksport about it and they'll be sending me a new gasket to try on the leaky flange, as well as two more of their urethane exhaust hangers (they normally sell in packages of 4 and there are 6 total on the car.) They're a really great company to deal with and I'd recommend them for anyone who has a Mazda and wants some well-engineered and well-built parts.

oldandbusted1.jpg

oldandbusted2.jpg

The old exhaust is in perfect shape, so I just threw it in the box and chucked it onto the rafters in the garage. I like having the option to go back to stock for whatever reason.

newhotness1.jpg

The new system is very well crafted, and huge. It's kind of shocking to look through it since it's so big. The mufflers are straight-through. It's definitely designed to work in conjunction with their downpipe and racepipe, which together would bring down the tone a little, and I think the overall result would be slightly quieter and a little growlier. Right now it does kind of buzz a little, mostly off-throttle on deceleration below 3krpm, but I've noticed it's only noticeable with the windows open. If I shut them, all I get is a great sound, and I think the roar directly out back is pretty great as well. Possibly, sealing that final tiny leak at the cat will help a little bit as well.

giraffesintheair.jpg

jackedup.jpg

Up on a pair of jackstands and chocked with bricks. I'm sure someone smart could tell me how this would result in my death, but it all seemed pretty solid at the time. I even took it out of gear to fire it up and check for leaking and whatnot, and it didn't budge. Me lucky?

fudgemo.jpg

I ate a fudgesicle.

Its nice to see people working on their own rides.

I just finished doing the engine work on the Val. Replaced the sparks, so now the thing will actually start properly.

The exhaust looked like someone shot it with an AK... multiple times, so thats been replaced.

Both the Break line and gas tank were leaking so the tank was resealed and I had a friend mold a new break line in.

The car runs beautifully now... well it did before but the smell of gas was nauseating. I have to say though, this car was not well cared for at all. There is some truth in the statement "They don't build them like they used to." Not only was the slant 6 easy to work on, but even when I first got the car it ran well. My father took interest in this and has been helping. According to him, the slant 6 was one of the most durable engines built in the 60s.

In response to Frosty's comment... to be honest I don't think the paint job is original anymore. The interior clearly is, but when I washed the car down, i noticed a milky white substance on my hands. I'm willing to bet that the moron who owned it before me had a Maco paint job done for like $500. I've seen this before and it's crap. Either way, it needs repainting.

Well any car of that age will have a single-stage paint job anyway, so it's not conclusive, but if it's in bad enough shape that it's coming off in the wash it probably doesn't matter. Any idea what color you might repaint it?

The old slant-six is legend. I've always thought they sound great, too. If I'm not completely mistaken, the even more legendary Jeep 4.0 is descended from the engine in your car. These big-6s will be some of the last things running at the end of the world, no doubt.

These big-6s will be some of the last things running at the end of the world, no doubt.

According to Life After People, the last thing running at the end of the world will be parrots.

Well any car of that age will have a single-stage paint job anyway, so it's not conclusive, but if it's in bad enough shape that it's coming off in the wash it probably doesn't matter. Any idea what color you might repaint it?

The old slant-six is legend. I've always thought they sound great, too. If I'm not completely mistaken, the even more legendary Jeep 4.0 is descended from the engine in your car. These big-6s will be some of the last things running at the end of the world, no doubt.

Well originally I was going to go with a hotrod red, but I decided against it as I wanted something that the car originally came in. I think I'm going to go with black. Hard as hell to keep clean, but I've seen one before that looked unbelievable. Plus once I clean up the chrome on the sides and the back, it'll really stand out.

I believe you are correct about the 4.0s being the next descendant. Those are tough engines to crack.

I will say this though, one thing that kind of annoys me. I went to a classic car show in North Attleboro a while back to see what they had. It's the typical '57 Bel Airs, early 60's caddys, and then a whole row of 60s Mustangs, Chargers, and Camaros. There were one or two other cars there that stood out as unusual, but one that was really out of place was an '07 Mustang that had been completely modified, had graphics, lifts etc. etc. It won 1st prize in the competition.

I have no problem with car shows and modified car shows having things like that win but this was a CLASSIC car show! You had people there who had spent years rebuilding and restoring these cars from scratch only to have some jerkhole buy a new car and dropped another $20k to beef it up take the trophy.

PS, I wanted to get some opinions on this before I did it; I'm planning on tinting the rear passenger windows and windshield. I thought it would be a good way to keep the interior from fading and keeping it a little cooler since (surprise) no AC. Thoughts?? Opinions??

Oh btw, when you finish the car LET NO ONE ELSE DRIVE IT! My brother tried to take out the Valiant when I wasn't looking and almost flooded the engine because he didn't understand the thing was a half pin start!

According to Life After People, the last thing running at the end of the world will be parrots.
I would argue that parrots, along with the rest of the universe, will simply stop existing if people ever disappear. For the same reason the Ghostbusters had to play happy music to make the Statue of Liberty smash up that museum.
I think I'm going to go with black. Hard as hell to keep clean, but I've seen one before that looked unbelievable. Plus once I clean up the chrome on the sides and the back, it'll really stand out.
That's probably the best choice. Straight glossy black or white, or one of those crazy 60s-only colors like the metal flake greens and bronzes. Typical reds and blues and whatnot have been done to death and look better on Fords anyway.
I will say this though, one thing that kind of annoys me...I have no problem with car shows and modified car shows having things like that win but this was a CLASSIC car show! You had people there who had spent years rebuilding and restoring these cars from scratch only to have some jerkhole buy a new car and dropped another $20k to beef it up take the trophy.
That's because everyone is an idiot. Even the serious head-on-straight competitions like Pebble Beach get retarded. A factory-perfect Packard would lose every single category to the better-than-reality restorations that prowl the green. People like flash and expense; they have no time for what makes a car unique and interesting, or its story and the stories of those who've owned it in the past.
PS, I wanted to get some opinions on this before I did it; I'm planning on tinting the rear passenger windows and windshield. I thought it would be a good way to keep the interior from fading and keeping it a little cooler since (surprise) no AC. Thoughts?? Opinions??
It's a good idea. Get a pro to install it and make sure you opt for the good ceramic stuff. Cheap tint will just turn purple and bubble on you and everyone will think you're a drug dealer. Even with that, though, I would be looking for an AC module if I were you.
My brother tried to take out the Valiant when I wasn't looking and almost flooded the engine because he didn't understand the thing was a half pin start!
Absolutely never let anyone touch. Not even shops, really. I'm reasonably certain my dealership made a mistake that cost me 1300 in bodywork, and I'm also reasonably certain they've rashed my 500-dollar wheels in the past.

I'm not taking it back there anymore.

Straight glossy black or white, or one of those crazy 60s-only colors like the metal flake greens and bronzes. Typical reds and blues and whatnot have been done to death and look better on Fords anyway.

I'll give you that one on the Fords. I actually looked into the Bronzes. The flake green just looked kind of tacky. Sadly the bronze isn't easy to come by and more $$ then I'm looking to spend, plus I can't picture what the thing would look like. So I'll stay on the safe side.

Get a pro to install it and make sure you opt for the good ceramic stuff. Cheap tint will just turn purple and bubble on you and everyone will think you're a drug dealer.
Or think you were on drugs and tinted it yourself.

Had I kept my Talon, the assy tint job from the previous owner would've been replaced. Annoying bubbles almost in every inconvenient spot for viewing the outside world.

Or think you were on drugs and tinted it yourself.

Had I kept my Talon, the assy tint job from the previous owner would've been replaced. Annoying bubbles almost in every inconvenient spot for viewing the outside world.

God... A guy I knew did that to his mustang. The bubbles were absolutely terrible right off. You couldn't see shit. I took a needle to the tint and poked holes in the bubbles. It still looked like hell, but at least there weren't any bubbles.

That system looks great, Frosty. I am willing to bet that you'll clean up the noise a bit when the leak is fixed. It's amazing how even the smallest leak will affect the overall sound (and performance) of your system.

When we completely replaced the exhaust system on my buddies WRX (headers back), it took us quite a while to systematically eliminate all of the leaks. Until that was complete, the car didn't run right - we thought maybe the new parts sucked, or by simply breathing near the car we ruined the ECU. Once we eliminated that last leak, though, that thing really took off.

Keeping the old stock parts are essential. You never know when that damned local sheriff will insist you show up to the courthouse and...er, well, just keep them around in case you decide to sell the vehicle or make some coin on the side.

Tinting is one of those things that everyone can do but few can do right. It really pays to spend the extra dollars and get a proper job. There is nothing more infuriating than watching that stuff bubble and change color on you; after all, with jobs, travel, etc. you spend a ton of time in the inside of your car. No one wants to look through that.

In addition, make sure you take care to watch your antennae. In the older cars, this is less of a concern, but when I had my BMW, I didn't use the right material on the rear window tint, so I had trouble maintaining good contact on AM freqs. I corrected this with my current vehicle. You all are probably using satellite radio anyway, but I thought I'd mention it.

As for parrots out-lasting people, I'd buy it. I've had my share, and there are few animals that have impressed me more with their intellect and ability to alter their environment for gain. The BIG QUESTION is whether or not Parrot spacecraft would look like giant winged creatures in space, or more like the current space shuttle, since that is all they would have known...

Following links around, I came across this article, about the "Cash for Clunkers" turd that recently went into law.

First part of the (short) article:

Congressional officials say the government plans to suspend the popular 'Cash for Clunkers' program amid concerns it could quickly use up the $1 billion in rebates for new car purchases.

The Transportation Department called congressional offices late Thursday to alert them to the decision to halt the program, which offered owners of old cars and trucks $3,500 or $4,500 toward a new, more fuel-efficient vehicle.

Y'know, it would seem to me that this kind of reaction is a no-brainer. I mean, of course people are going to flock to what they see as a deal, even if the reality is less kind.

(In this case, "less kind" as in taking out loans that people can't really afford even with the discounts, and cluttering dealership lots with used cars they can't, IIRC, resell at all under C4C. There are probably other issues as well, but they aren't coming to mind, offhand.)

But, then again, I haven't received the required lobotomy for becoming a politician, either, so what do I know? :p

Back