This message board is backwards.

Darkstar

Spaceman
When reading several threads I noticed that the messages are in reverse chronological order. If you want to follow the thread you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. That's retarded. UBB is my favorite MB but this setup is stupid. The first message should be at the top and the last or newest message at the bottom.

Darkstar said:
When reading several threads I noticed that the messages are in reverse chronological order. If you want to follow the thread you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. That's retarded.

I like you too.
UBB is my favorite MB but this setup is stupid. The first message should be at the top and the last or newest message at the bottom.
That's your opinion then. Personally, I think it makes more sense to have the most recent message at the top. Especially when a topic is multi-threaded. If you want to read the latest posts, you have to first load page 1, then click the link to the last page. That takes twice as long. And when you post to a multi-threaded topic, you're taken back to the first page, and then you have make your way to the last page again.

I suggested this change a few days ago, and everyone who replied was willing to give this a go. While this is not per se the way it's going to be forever and I don't mind anyone disliking it, it doesn't mean you have to call it retarded and start a new thread stating the obvious
smile.gif

Proof of that: the a suggestion thread.

[This message has been edited by KrisV (edited March 14, 2000).]

Last edited:
This change was made to make things easier on the regulars. They follow threads from the beginning, or stay away all together from things that don't interest them. And long threads tend to completely change topics every x posts... in which case it doesn't matter if you're immediately taken to the oldest posts or not. It's just as much work going to page 6 as page 2 in a 7 page thread.

I knew you were going to say that. How do I know if something is interesting if I don't read it. There have been many times when I've thought that a topic wasn't interesting but I read the thread anyway and it turned out to be good. It seems to me that this has gone beyond the point of being logical and that you have taken on a siege mentality. I have been on this site before but I am not a "regular" maybe if you catered to users who were not "regulars" you would get more repeat users. BTW I apologize for using the terms "retarded" and "stupid".

Well, I'd imagine that main push behind it was, if you're not a regular, you're not a priority to make happy. If you only come once in a blue moon, why make things easier for you, and harder for the loyal guys who are here 2-3 (or more?) hrs a day (like myself). This setup may be harder for those who aren't here all the time, but, if you're not here all the time, you can't complain all the time can you?
wink.gif
And if you hang around long enough, eventually you'll become a regular and all this will make sense
smile.gif

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Striking a man down with your blade is clean and honorable. Shooting him in the back from the darkness of an alley and hurrying to blame it on another was something else altogether.--Darth Vader

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps a solution would be to have everybody give their topics more informative titles. Then you'd know exactly what a topic was about before you started reading
smile.gif

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

I've been on countless forums and every single one I've been on posts their threads in chronological order. From oldest to newest. Go to www.quake3world.com, their forum has 50 times as many messages and way more posts every day than this one if your method is better why don't they use it, they have way more users.

That's because Quake has more fans than WC. And that's because Quake doesen't require that much brain procesing power, so it apeals to larger masses. Besides, I don't know how long that forum was up there, but this board was taken down at the start of this year, and all posts were deleted. So all 4 BB's here have now more than 10,000 posts in 2.5 months. I'd say that's a prety high number.

Besides, so what if Quake BB has it the other way around? That doesen't mean anything. They might as well have it that way just because they have much more people. I can bet you that most of those posters aren't regulars, meanwhile most people here are regulars. If there were like 10 or so regulars, and 400 people that just post ocasionaly, and all those 400 people would want it reversed than they would probably get it.

Uh... the threads here ARE in chronological order. And if you want to see if the topic is worth reading by looking at the first post, then just scroll to the bottom. It's as easy as that
smile.gif

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

Darkstar I said the same things last night

------------------
I fight on the side of peace and honor, just like Blair

Something else I want to say before comments are made that closes this, look at the PSX board, its not a UBB, but the newest threads are on top, as well as the newest posts. At least it was last time I was there lookig for info on the new PSX2. (which I got, along with a few comments on how badly the N64 sux, which I didn't care for
confused.gif
)

------------------
Striking a man down with your blade is clean and honorable. Shooting him in the back from the darkness of an alley and hurrying to blame it on another was something else altogether.--Darth Vader

[This message has been edited by Knight (edited March 14, 2000).]

Darkstar: Linux is also a much better OS than Windows but everybodies not using that are they?

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Darkstar said:
I've been on countless forums and every single one I've been on posts their threads in chronological order. From oldest to newest. Go to www.quake3world.com, their forum has 50 times as many messages and way more posts every day than this one if your method is better why don't they use it, they have way more users.
Well, I'm convinced. If a Quake 3 fansite uses the other method, then that has to be better. If only we were half as cool as them...

Why do I bother? You guys have made up your mind and are unwilling to accept any opposing viewpoint. It's like running into church on Sunday morning and shouting "there is no god!" I'm just wasting my time.

Says the man who went

Are you insane? Privateer 2 better than Privateer 1. NO WAY! Privateer 2 isn't even a WC game it takes place in a totally different universe. Privateer 2 sucked, the game engine was good but the game was lame.

on a Wing Commander discussion board.

The message board is way too strange, its weird to look the messages backwards
frown.gif
(
If a topic has two pages, i have to check page 2 and check page 1 afterwards...
frown.gif

Its is the only messege post like that in the net...any chance it turns back the way it was?

KillerWave said:
The message board is way too strange, its weird to look the messages backwards
frown.gif
(
If a topic has two pages, i have to check page 2 and check page 1 afterwards...
frown.gif

Its is the only messege post like that in the net...any chance it turns back the way it was?

I don't want to be rude, but are you even reading the previous posts? The main point of the "Backwards"-ness (I don't consider that way.), is to make it easier on the regular, more loyal people. I'm not saying that you're not a loyal WC fan, but the guys that come here every day don't want to have to look at the old posts before the new ones. Though, another, probably easier for everyone way for it to be, would be have them list in the oldest to newest chronological order, but have a link to the last page, near the thread's subject. I don't know if UBB supports it, so we'll let it go at that. Let me put it this way, if you were running a store, and you had people come in every day, and those people liked how you did things, but then a few new people moved into town, came into your store, and said "We don't like how you do things. Do it our way!", what would you do?

------------------

I don`t see what the whole fuss is about.
The regulars, who visit this site 2 or 3 or more times a day, don`t need to see the whole thread so that they can read the new posts, so it`s good for them to have the board in reverse, and the irregulars have to read the whole thread anyway, so it doesn`t matter wheather the board is reversed or not.
They have to wait for the whole thread to load anyway to read everything.

Is it such a disaster to read posts from bottom to top?

Must be....
wink.gif

------------------

Back