This is why Origin sucks.

Grimloc

Rear Admiral
Hello, all. Grimloc here, back from his week-long trip to Orlando and Tampa (I'm finishing up False Colors as we speak). I got back on my computer just now to check up on my good friends at the CIC, and the first thing I read is "The End." I realize now that HCl was correct. My friends, what shall we do? What can we do? I do wish that this is false, that some sick mind would dare send something so evil to the eyes of Wing Commander. Alas, thas is unlikely. What a pity. Screw Ultima. Screw Origin. And SCREW EA!!!!!!!
mad.gif
Grimloc out.

[This message has been edited by Grimloc (edited March 31, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
What was HCl right about? And what will screaming at the people who still own Wing Commander help?
smile.gif

Yeah, they'll find out WC fans are a bunch of immature 14 year olds that know how to swear..

It's not if you can swear, its if you can actually make your point while saying as many vulguries as possible.
smile.gif

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Striking a man down with your blade is clean and honorable. Shooting him in the back from the darkness of an alley and hurrying to blame it on another was something else altogether.--Darth Vader

But you cannot make any point while swearing. It has been proven over and over. Therefore, anybody who sends _any_ stupid letter to Origin, will be Court-Martialled and shot for treason.

I can make most points I have when I'm drunk and swearing (which go hand-in-hand with me.).

------------------
Striking a man down with your blade is clean and honorable. Shooting him in the back from the darkness of an alley and hurrying to blame it on another was something else altogether.--Darth Vader

<Shrug> As long as you don't attempt to communicate with Origin in any way, you can do whatever you like, Knight.

[This message has been edited by Quarto (edited March 31, 2000).]

How do you know "Grrrr" isn't a swear-word in a different language?
tongue.gif

The point is, don't send any stupid letters to Origin, swear-words or not. It won't help, and it will only make Origin think less of us.

Here's my take:

Are you ready? Too bad
tongue.gif

OSI got tired of hearing "Bring back Blair!" so they're just trying to make sure that we know he's dead, gone, and not coming back. They figured the same thing that alot of people did, without Mark Hamil, it just won't be WC (I personally don't care who the hell's the star, as long as the gameplay stays on the edge and the storyline's stay halfway fresh). Ok, so I might be wrong, I might be right, I might not care. Point is, either, they are playing a cruel, cruel, cruel April Fool's joke, (or is it the CIC staff?
smile.gif
), or they just don't think they could make a profit off of it. I don't want to start a big "X vs. Y" deal here, but compared to Freespace, Prophecy was lacking in several areas, namely because it wasn't finished to the point that it should have, because they insisted on getting it on shelves. I think we'll see another WC, but I don't believe OSI will be making it. If EA is done with it, then why in the hell would they resist selling the license, other than piss off the 100 and some odd people here (rough estimate)? I mean, what money are they going to gain, if they don't have a product to sell? Anyways, alot of that is probably BS, I know it, you know it, but I'm bored and waiting on an email, so I figured I'd pick my brain and see what I could come up with for a post.

BTW, DH, it depends, what do you have in mind?

Quarto, don't worry, I'm not writing, unless we are all going ot start mailing EA every hour to rethink it before they make such a rash decision, I'm not sending anything.

------------------

You're right, Knight. Your post is a load of BS.
smile.gif

Re: April's Fools joke: Nobody in their right mind would go and play a joke that would make thousands of their fans scream for a blood offering.

Re: No profit: They did not assume that was the case. The simple fact is, EA is giving them $16 million. Remember how much WC 4 cost? It's a very simple, utterly pragmatic decision - with so little funds, should Origin make one good MMP game, or should they split the money up between the Ultima and the WC universes, resulting in two or three cheap and utterly crap games that will disappoint everyone?

Re: The license: Origin would be stupid to sell the license, and EA will certainly not do so for them.

Knight depends on your taste and how fast you want to get drunk. It also depends where I buy you one on whether or not you feel like eating. Cause I know a good beer joint but to go there and not eat some of the food would be...unfulfilling.

------------------
Briceland
A wingmen is essential; they give the enemy something else to shoot at.

Thanks Quarto.

Have you forgotten who we're talking about? Some people (like me and you for starters
smile.gif
) have very sick minds.

Ok, we know WCIV cost a shitload because of it hugh amount of FMV, while, how much did the latest game from OSI cost? With just about the right mix of FMV and gameplay? It was sure as hell alot less than the amount (30 some million, right?
confused.gif
) that WCIV cost.

Well, if EA would quit buying everyone out to strangle the damn competetion, we wouldn't have any problems would we? They're trying to run 4-5 names, under a way to small budget. You are both right and wrong in your last statement, there's only gonna be one "good" game made, but what about the rest of the names EA backs? WW Studios? Where the hell is their funding coming from? TS didn't hit near what they said it would, namely because it got very low reviews (at least from the 4-5 reviews I saw). Yes, OSI will probably make hte better choice with the money, but the way they're running things, we're still going to get 2-3 crap games.
smile.gif

------------------
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

[This message has been edited by Knight (edited April 01, 2000).]

Oh, undoubtedly, Knight. But this is the equivalent of somebody standing in front of a line of soldiers and yelling "Fire!"
smile.gif

I can't remember how much WC4 cost. I think it was $12 million, actually. WCP, on the other hand, cost a hell of a lot less (after the budget cuts
wink.gif
); but there's a lot of people out there (no, I'm not one of them) who run around yelling that WCP is not a proper WC, because it sucks - that is their standard explanation, as crazy as it may be
smile.gif

I really don't know about the issues EA looks at when doing their budget; I hate business studies and never paid any attention when we were discussing corporations in class.
smile.gif
Anyway, I don't think that UO 2 and 3 are going to be crap. I may not like Ultima (actually, I liked Ultima Worlds 1 and 2, but the main series... <shrug> ), but I cannot deny that UO has over 150,000 subscribers. Guess how many WC would get, btw?
The answer is, a lot less. My personal estimate would be around 50,000. Sad but true.

Wait, why exactly would WC only have 50,000 subscribers? When Ultima Online was released (after Ultima 8), the Ultima series had been reduced to a cult property that no one besides RG was interested in buying... Wing Commander has consistently sold more than oone million copies of the last several games...

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
( loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Bombardez les Ptitard!

Oh, I couldn't agree more, LOAF. WC is a very popular game, and the RPG market at times seemed a bit... shall we say... slack.
However, UO appeals to a much wider audience - it's not just the die-hard fans of Ultima. There are people playing UO who never even played the Ultima series. I guess that being able to watch your character live a totally separate life is quite appealing to people.
WC on the other hand... well... of course, it's difficult to say since we don't really know what the game could have been like, but it certainly wouldn't have the possibilities that you have in Ultima - the possibilities that make people say "Oh, this is like real life!". For example, I don't think that the ability to build/own a house was very high on the priority list for POL
smile.gif
. Certainly, that's not something that _we_ care about, but it's something that others want.
But there are already a 1,000,000+ fans out there, right? Well, there were many, many more than a 150,000 Ultima fans out there too, even at the time of U8. A lot of people don't have the right connection, money to spend on subscription, or just can't be bothered playing online. Either way, the number goes down real quick.

My point is, if UO, with its range of appeal going way beyond what had originally been the case for the Ultima series - if UO only has 150,000 subscribers, then it would be silly to expect WC to get more - even with it's 1,000,000+ fans. I wish that this wasn't the case; but unfortunately, it would appear that Origin agrees with me, n'est ce pas?

I still don't see the logic... both Ultima and Privateer would have allowed players to live their lives in a fictional setting. Obviously Ultima appeals to non-hardcore Ultima fans... but why won't WC? The millions of people who play Quake aren't doing so because it's just like real life...
smile.gif

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
( loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Bombardez les Ptitard!

Well... my logic can be a bit difficult to understand at times... particularly when it's past midnight and I'm not really thinking straight
smile.gif

Quake obviously appeals to millions for a different reason... I hope
smile.gif
But as for WC and Ultima... well, I was rifling through the local bookstore the other day, and I was struck with this - the section devoted to fantasy and sf consisted in 80% of fantasy. And the sf section consisted in 99% of SW and ST stuff that the reasonably-sized group of hardcore SW and ST fans buy. What does all this tell us? Fantasy sells better than sf. It always has, unfortunately. Fantasy is easy for your average off-the-street joe to understand - it's just plain old magic. Everybody has heard of orcs and goblins; everybody knows they're evil and must be stopped (
smile.gif
). Sf, on the other hand, usually requires a more advanced mind. While WC is not, strictly speaking, proper sf, it still falls into that category. Ergo, people would rather buy the easy-to-understand UO which doesn't require them to overuse their brains, rather than WC - which also doesn't require them to overuse their brains, but sounds so much more complicated. I mean, jump drives, ion drives, anti-matter guns...
smile.gif

Back