This is why Origin sucks.

LOAF,
I hope you communicate your view of profit potential to them, because it should be obvious to them that they (Origin) is uniquely positioned to ring up another first - but like so many corporations they are obsessed with business buzzword bean-counting bullshit i.e. the expediency of short term profits turns "lazer beam focus" into short-sighted!

For Quarto:

No offense, but, that comment about Sci Fi fans having more advanced minds than Fantasy fans is the biggest load of horseshit I've ever read
smile.gif

First of all, I LOVED the Wing Commander games, but my 8 year nephew was able to solve Wing Commander 4 without any help
smile.gif
There is nothing about WC that requires "an advanced mind" to understand. It is very black and white through and through.

Pick up a game like Planescape Torment and see how "simple" fantasy stories can be.

However, if you are speaking primarily of Ultima Online, then I agree, it's a pile of mindless shit
smile.gif

With Honour,
Avatus

Last edited by a moderator:
Avatus said:
First of all, I LOVED the Wing Commander games, but my 8 year nephew was able to solve Wing Commander 4 without any help
smile.gif
There is nothing about WC that requires "an advanced mind" to understand. It is very black and white through and through.

That's because there isn't anything in there to solve.... It requires skills of your hands, not much of your brain. And anyone could beat WC4.....on Rookie. Did your 8 year old nephew beat the game on Nightmare yet?

Besides, Quarto here was talking about WC and sci fi in general sounding more complicated.

However, if you are speaking primarily of Ultima Online, then I agree, it's a pile of mindless shit
smile.gif

UO, is probably the best RPG ever made.....

Avatus: First of all, note that I actually pointed out that WC is not true SF, and that it also doesn't require much of a brain. It does sound more complicated to the average person.

It also seems to me like maybe you don't quite understand what I meant. If you think a book like Planescape Torment requires a more advanced mind... well, sure. Complicated plot lines do require a mind. But what I was talking about in relation to SF, was the way *true* SF explores the very much real possibilities, and/or forces the reader to think about these possibilities. Why don't you go and read some of Clarke, or Phillip K. Dick, and then we'll see if fantasy can be just as complicated
smile.gif

And like Earthworm said, UO is indeed most likely the best - or one of the best - RPG ever made. And as all those people trying to make a living in the world of UO (in unconventional ways) will tell you, it also requires some degree of thinking.

BTW, shame on you for letting your 8-year old nephew play an M-rated game
smile.gif

Quarto said:
And like Earthworm said, UO is indeed most likely the best - or one of the best - RPG ever made. And as all those people trying to make a living in the world of UO (in unconventional ways) will tell you, it also requires some degree of thinking.

Well, gameplay wise I've played better RPG's, but the fact that you can interact with thousands of people all over the world realy puts it over the top for me.

BTW, shame on you for letting your 8-year old nephew play an M-rated game
smile.gif

LOL!

Earthworm said:
UO, is probably the best RPG ever made.....

Ok, I have to reply to this, you are for the game that probably could be convicted for the murder of WC, but you are against the game series that will probably replace it. I have loyalty to WC, and all that good BS, but right now, you just make me sick (or is it the booze....
smile.gif
)
smile.gif

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

Wait a minute... when you say something is high quality, does that mean that you personally love it?

Knight said:
Ok, I have to reply to this, you are for the game that probably could be convicted for the murder of WC,
Yes, I gues I am. I enjoy UO, even though I don't play it much, much more than any other RPG. Obviously I'm pissed because I won't see a WC game in the near future, or maybe I'll never see anothe one, but that doesen't change the fact that I can like UO and the Ultima series. And of course I'd prefer POL over another UO but I'll play what I'll get.

but you are against the game series that will probably replace it. I have loyalty to WC, and all that good BS, but right now, you just make me sick (or is it the booze....
smile.gif
)
smile.gif

And what game series would that be?
smile.gif
SL? FS? I tried both, and none of them look like they could replace WC. Though SL is prety good, and if in the future games they'll add stuff that hasn't been seen in this genre, and if they give more than 30 missions, and if they give more than 20 minutes of CGI, SL series could come close to being as good as WC.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited April 01, 2000).]

Earthworm, I said nothing of any game replacing WC. I said that SL or FS is as close as we'll come to WC. Nothing can ever replace WC, and if I made my post seem that that was what I was saying, I'm sorry. I'm saying that if we're not going to see WC for a long while, we should consider other options, and/or make it known to OSI, EA, or God-him-fuckin'-self that WC is worth making. Maybe I'm taking this to a bit of an extreme, but I don't care. I just discovered WC 3 years ago, playing WCP (which I bought in the place of DFS which is what I went to buy.). I've waited those 3 years, just like everyone else, in dire anticipation of the next WC, online or otherwise. Now I hear that it won't happen for a long time, if ever. I'm left confused, pissed, and wondering what life will be like without new WC. But then again, IMHO, WCIV has the best reply value of damn near any game out there
smile.gif
And if I ever get it working, WCIII looks promising too.
biggrin.gif

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

Knight said:
Earthworm, I said nothing of any game replacing WC. I said that SL or FS is as close as we'll come to WC.

Um, no. Here's what you said: *but you are against the game series that will probably replace it. I have loyalty to WC, and all that good BS, but right now, you just make me sick (or is it the booze.... )*

Nothing can ever replace WC, and if I made my post seem that that was what I was saying, I'm sorry.
Hm, you didn't just make your post seem that way. You clearly stated that. Anyhow, I forgive you.
smile.gif

I'm saying that if we're not going to see WC for a long while, we should consider other options,
But.... I'm sure that a lot of people here are already playing many other space sims.... OSI not making any more WC games isn't actualy necessary for me to try other space sims. And it's kind of hard to go back to those weaker sims after seing the greatness of WC.

and/or make it known to OSI, EA, or God-him-fuckin'-self that WC is worth making.
You should watch out with comments like this. Someone who's very religous could and probably will be offended by that...

Maybe I'm taking this to a bit of an extreme, but I don't care. I just discovered WC 3 years ago, playing WCP (which I bought in the place of DFS which is what I went to buy.). I've waited those 3 years, just like everyone else, in dire anticipation of the next WC, online or otherwise.
But you did get the next WC. SO came out less than two years ago. And even if it isn't a full blown new SP game it's still a good game. Besides, during those three years, did you even try to find the older games?

I don't know if this has anything to do with anything but I've been hearing some rather strange things lately, one reason fantasy is so much more popular, or so it seems is that the ST series have been what you might call too cerebral for the common man. That was one of the main reasons the first series was cancelled.

It doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to make a fantasy type story, I myself have been published in the field. Even I wonder why with so many crazed people out there over aliens, abductions, animal disections and ect, ect, that more people take a liking to goblins, demons and boogie men, not to mention banshees and wraiths.
smile.gif

Perhaps the idea that we may not be the brightest beings in the universe intimidates and scares people, whereas people are not so much afraid of ghosts and goblins as they are curious.

I recall playing one of the best, IMO, roleplaying games ever, Crusaders of the Dark Savant. That game took a lot of time up, and making use of the information and items you come across while learning spells and weapon skills in addition to basic survival and utilitarian tricks of trades made it interesting. But again, the time...

It may also be that people prefer to get lost in a dream world that they have a great deal of control over rather than get lost in the dreary day to day life we call reality.

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited April 02, 2000).]

If people want fantasy, online is a decent place to start, but the real world is the best possible place to RPG. WhiteWolf games like Mage and others (Mage foremost!!!), if repopularized, will shift the focus away from computer games and back to truly interactive RPG in real life, especially LARP. Which means that Origin will be open to focus on what it should...
However, I still think we should show them some fan made games. BG

------------------
I don't respect your authority BECAUSE YOU HAVE NONE!!!

[This message has been edited by Chernikov (edited April 02, 2000).]

Death's Head: That update about 18 UO games came on April 1st... that should tell you everything you need to know about it.
smile.gif
It was just another one of LOAF's April Fools jokes.
smile.gif

Oh? I thought it said Ap 2. Goes to show how much I pay attention around here.
smile.gif
Hehe, but seriously, did you notice that it was conspicuously the last thing I wrote?

No, but I did notice that you decided to remove it from the original post...
smile.gif

So I did. I was going to change it to what I was going to type yesterday, but having been lazy I neglected a few lines. More or less because of the abundance of lame jokes 4/01 brings. I didn't want to add anything more.

Still being lazy tonight, I decided to have even less on there
smile.gif

Speaking of lame jokes, I even began posting them on my site, which if I get feedback, will be added to regularly.

------------------
Briceland: My page
A wingmen is essential; they give the enemy something else to shoot at.

Back