Think Fast! But Also Maneuverable... (February 22, 2015)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
There's a new poll that puts the Confederation's fastest fighters on deck. Rather than just simply picking the fastest ship, we've asked a question that inquires which craft has the best mix of speed and maneuverability. All of the fighters listed are quick, but they have trade-offs as well. The Wasp's booster is a huge advantage for interception, but what if the objectives also call for navigating an asteroid field? Other ships are sleek and many hold a special place in the memories of many pilots. If you needed the ability to get out and go, which would you take?

The old question was our annual New Years poll. Most fans are optimistic about the year to come, but some are unconvinced. We don't know exactly what the future holds, but check out last year's highlights to get an idea of all the exciting potential!

--
Original update published on February 22, 2015

Last edited by a moderator:
I miss the Rapier on the list.
But I voted Arrow. Lots of weapons for such a fast, nimble ship. Really powerful.

Broadsword, shhyeah, right :p.

I miss the Rapier too (and note the Epee missing, withpout missing it personally.). Actually a pretty hard poll I think: not knowing which Arrow (WC3 over Armada) or Wraith (Academy over Armada) is meant, I chose the Vampire because honestly that ship just has no weakness. The Ferret is a great little ship but it does not compare to the Vampire.

But if the Rapier II had been on the list, I would have voted for it. Because I don't like super ships like the Vampire.

I also voted for the Vampire, which I consider Prophecy's TIE Defender or Missile Boat. I'm very fond of those overkill fighters. :)

I miss the Rapier on the list.
But I voted Arrow. Lots of weapons for such a fast, nimble ship. Really powerful.

Yeah, the Rapier would've been a good addition. For that matter, we talked about also adding the Excalibur, which then led to the Dragon, but then it just becomes a super-ship shootout, and we wanted to shift the focus away from that. For that reason we worried about including the Vampire, but the Vampire has such extraordinary speed and maneuverability that we thought it was worth keeping.

I miss the Rapier too (and note the Epee missing, withpout missing it personally.). Actually a pretty hard poll I think: not knowing which Arrow (WC3 over Armada) or Wraith (Academy over Armada) is meant, I chose the Vampire because honestly that ship just has no weakness. The Ferret is a great little ship but it does not compare to the Vampire.

We felt like with the Ferret outclassing the Epee's stats in the same game, that one was easy to exclude. The Arrow was intentionally left ambiguous, because we felt either/both had such strengths (speed in Armada, weapons and overall maneuverability in WC3). I didn't expect the Arrow to have such an early lead out of the gate or else we might've considered splitting them. I don't see too much difference though between the Wraith in Academy versus Armada though, except in relation to the contemporary ships we see them pitted against primarily.

Thanks for the insight to the poll!

(...) I don't see too much difference though between the Wraith in Academy versus Armada though, except in relation to the contemporary ships we see them pitted against primarily.

Yeah, that's what I meant: the Academy Wraith is incredibly powerful when compared to the other Academy ships whereas the Armada Wraith is just powerful when compared to its contemporaries.

I had assumed the WC3 Arrow as reason being that that game was the more commonly played. I chose the Arrow specifically because my early fondness for it won over the Vampire, and I can't pick two. Small, fast, 8 missiles, and fast cycling guns. It even looks cool.

It should be said that when I was running an RPG squadron, we flew Vampires. :cool:

Back