These Space Stations Are Too MASSIVE To Wrap Your Head Around (April 1, 2014)

CIC

Space Marshal
Wc3starbase.jpg

The Blackmane starbase weighs an incredible 650,000 tonnes and is over 2,500 meters long!

Wc3supplydepot.jpg

This Theta-class supply base makes for a "rocking" destination -- If you can find it! It's located somewhere in the Kilrah System.

ella_superbaset.jpg

The Ella Superbase is so massive, it can support an entire task group. It even has its own fighter contingent!

Halsey-navalbase.jpg

Halsey-class stations like Perry Station serve as the military center of entire sectors!

--
Original update published on April 1, 2014

Last edited by a moderator:
Where the heck did these pictures come from? WC3 had a blue space background, yet in the picture of the asteroid base, you can clearly see that space is black but the tower part has blue. Have the pics been photoshopped? or is it an actual engine thing? (or are they WC3 models rendered in WC4?) It's something I've wondered about for ages, because most of the WC3 promo materials showed space as black, but in the game it's blue. It's not just a gamma setting either, I've checked in-engine and the space graphics can't look that bright when you adjust the gamma to make space black. I think WC3 went with blue space background to match WC1/2. But when you crank out WC4 it has a black space background. I'm curious as to why they changed it, and why it was blue in the first place? I'm guessing WC1 was drawn that way due to a lack of palette colours in DOS.

Am I the only one thinking that 650,000 tons is way, way too light for such a huge station as the Blakmane starbase, even if it is mostly hollow?

Am I the only one thinking that 650,000 tons is way, way too light for such a huge station as the Blakmane starbase, even if it is mostly hollow?

When everything is built out of magical future materials and we have the ability to artificially manipulate gravity, it's hard to say that the mass is unrealistic. In the context of the game, the 720 meter Victory is 28,000 tons and 920 meter Bhantkara is 100,000, so Blackmane at 2500 and 650,000 seems to be in the right ballpark.

Back