The UP 200 Dog Sled Race

pygmypiranha

Vice Admiral
This evening in Marquette, I went to the UP200 dogsled race. It was absolutely awesome! I had so much fun, despite the cold temperatures. This race is the second largest race in the continental United States.

You have never lived until you've been to downtown Marquette Michigan in mid-February on a cold winter night. On the night of the start of the U.P. 200 this town goes all out to provide a proper send off to the mushers at the start of their estimated 240 mile trek! City officials close the downtown area and pile snow on the streets for the dog teams. The streets are lined with fans as the dog teams leave in ten minute intervals. Hot chocolate/cider stands are available, and the excitement is tangible everywhere one turns.

For more information check out The UP200 Dog Sled Race website.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

pygmypiranha said:
This evening in Marquette, I went to the UP200 dogsled race. It was absolutely awesome! I had so much fun, despite the cold temperatures. This race is the second largest race in the continental United States.

Neat. I used to think the second biggest race in the US probably had something to do with Nascar or Olympic time trials or something. So.. what larger races are held in Hawaii and Alaska?

ChrisReid said:
Neat. I used to think the second biggest race in the US probably had something to do with Nascar or Olympic time trials or something. So.. what larger races are held in Hawaii and Alaska?

I mis-spoke... second largest dog sled race. My apologies.

I'm intrigued. I've never been to a dogsled race. I've only seen a few crappy movies about dogsled races. Seems where I am we would have them.

ChrisReid said:
If we assume dog sled races, the Iditarod in Alaska is the biggest. Longest anyway, Anchorage to Nome, some 1,150 miles. I saw the start of it a couple times.

Yea, that's the biggest sled race outside the continental U.S. The biggest race in the continental U.S. is in Minnesota or Idaho or something... The second largest is the UP200... I guess the dogs will be getting back on Sunday... there are a total of something like 30 some sleds with several hundred dogs involved.

ChrisReid said:
The biggest two races (dogsled or otherwise... as long as by 'biggest' you mean 'longest') in the continental US are the Iditarod and Yukon Quest (now underway!), though the Quest is partially in Canada. Both are about 1000 miles long.

And there are indeed two recent (bad) movies about sled dog racing... Kevin of the North and Snow Dogs (starring Cuba Gooding Jr., so you know it has to be good).

Ohh and
attachment.php
is my girlfriend. I suddenly realized that I included that picture in my post and prolly everyone was like... WTF?! Mates...Who's that!?

pygmypiranha said:
Ohh and
attachment.php
is my girlfriend. I suddenly realized that I included that picture in my post and prolly everyone was like... WTF?! Mates...Who's that!?

Ugh.. too easy.. trying.. to resist.. saying..

I thought it'd be a link to a dog.. and I was.. right!

Back