The Two Towers (SPOILERS)

Originally posted by LeHah
There was a LOT (repeat for effect: LOT) of people laughing at inappropriate times, like all the conversations between Gollum and Smeagol
Same here. (And I was laughing with them.)

Smeagol did appear comical, I don't think you can hold that against the audience. No one ever laughed when Stinker was talking though, so I think that only shows they got the split personality right.

The ents taking Isengard was great, but I didn't care for them otherwise. I didn't like them in the books either, so no surprises there. (they're on my shit list alongside Tom Bombadil) The final moments of the Helm's Deep battle were simply stunning.

Yes, severe schizophrenia and talking about murdering people in their sleep is always fun and whacky!

I wasn't overly impressed with it. While it was a good movie, I feel it was too long. There wasn't enough action and depth to hold my interest the entire time. And I'm a guy who likes lots of action. Although I do think it was better than the first. I do agree the Helms Deep battle was quite intense. I also liked the fact that Sauramon gets a beat down by the walking trees at Isengard. Shorten it some, remove some of the pointless dialogue and it could have been a better movie.

if anything, it should have been longer. they cut out some important parts of the plot. in order to be faithful to the books, they couldn't make it any shorter. i agree with some of the pointless dialogue, though

I'm sure the Extended Cut to DVD which was already confirmed will utilize the other 2 hours that went unused.

i hope so, cause i was looking forward to frodo getting his ass kicked by the big spyder (whatever its name is)

Originally posted by Aries
if anything, it should have been longer. they cut out some important parts of the plot. in order to be faithful to the books, they couldn't make it any shorter. i agree with some of the pointless dialogue, though

Longer?!?!?

Good lord! I thought the movie was great and all, but all I could think of after the 2 hour mark was "END!!!". The movie could have cut around 20 minutes of the pointless crap. Personally, I think the whole part in the Bog of Death or whatever it was called could have been taken out.

have you read the books? like i said, they cut out about 6 whole chapters of the book, most of it important to the plot. and the dead marshes was cool

one question...how does it compare to the books.

Compared to the books the movies are shit.

Don't get me wrong. I loved the movies. I've seen TTT twice and was blown away. But the books are amazing. If you haven't read the books, you are missing out. Throw out all that you saw in the movies from your mind, and let Tolkien's words form the images. That was hard for me to do when I reread LOTR this summer. I kept seeing Elijah as Frodo when I was reading, and I don't think he was an ideal Frodo :(

I'm not bashing the movies at all, I just believe that LOTR is one of the greatest books ever.

i hope so, cause i was looking forward to frodo getting his ass kicked by the big spyder (whatever its name is)

That must be our good friend, Shelob, that you're referring to! I don't think she'll like the comment on you calling her 'big'...(heh, women!)

Jackson cut the Spider until "Return Of The King" because Frodo and Sam didn't have so much to do in his movie adaption (Well, they do, but it sure ain't what happens at Gondor)

I loved the Two Towers. I thought it was just great. Though there were some down sides. The first shot you see of Gollum looked fake (the part with him climbing down rocks and reaching for frodo). Otherwise, I couldn't tell he was computer generated. I thought Gimili was pretty funn during Helmsdeep, but looking back I don't think I appriated that much. In the previews, the Battle of Helmsdeep looked like this huge, dramatic last stand of a battle. While Gimli was funny, it just was inappropriate.

Oh, one thing that's been bothering me. I don't think they made Gollum look right. The skinny part was good, but I remember reading in The Hobbit him having green eyes, and him mentioning eating Goblins. The Gollum in the moving didn't look like the Goblin eating type.

Legolas's little "horse hopping thing" looked extremely cool (when I saw it on a LotR preview show on TV I was like "that was fuckin awesome!"), but fake too.

AS for Tom Bombadil, I was dissapointed. I thought he was cool, and show have been included in the movie. But I understand why he wasn't. If he had been included, the movie would be a half an hour longer at least. That, and he didn't have much to do with the over all plot. And I'm dissapointed they left out that one Ent would was regarded as the closest thing to a hasty ent. The one who said "yes" before an elder ent was finished asking a question. He seemed funny.

Anyway, I loved the movie. I just wish The Battle of Helmsdeep was a little more serious. I mean, Gimili's little one liners would be equivilent to say, Ben Affleck or Josh Hartnett cracking a joke in the middle of the battle sequence in Pearl Harbor.

i agree but i wouldn't use Pearl Harbor as an example... maybe Braveheart or Gladiator... Pearl Harbor was just terrible... i bet some good one liners in that would have made it better...

Originally posted by Hamlet
Gimili was pretty funn during Helmsdeep, but looking back I don't think I appriated that much. In the previews, the Battle of Helmsdeep looked like this huge, dramatic last stand of a battle. While Gimli was funny, it just was inappropriate.

of course it was appropriate. dwarves love fighting. i would have thought something was wrong if Gimli wasn't being funny in a battle

AS for Tom Bombadil, I was dissapointed. I thought he was cool, and show have been included in the movie. But I understand why he wasn't. If he had been included, the movie would be a half an hour longer at least. That, and he didn't have much to do with the over all plot.

I'll paraphrase a joke i saw once

Tom Bombadil asks Peter Jackson why he was cut out of the movie. Jackson responds by saying that the movie would only work if Sauron was the most frightening character. :D

You realize that anyone who skips and hops through the forest and has control over it has to be awesome. Tom is so cool...

People complains about Tom because everybody complains about him,it seems that complaining about Tom is cool :(

Originally posted by Hamlet
Oh, one thing that's been bothering me. I don't think they made Gollum look right. The skinny part was good, but I remember reading in The Hobbit him having green eyes, and him mentioning eating Goblins. The Gollum in the moving didn't look like the Goblin eating type.

I haven't seen Two Towers yet, but you get a couple of good looks at Gollum in Fellowship. While his eyes don't glow green in the dark (which I would imagine is how some animals have eyes that reflect red in the dark), he otherwise looks perfect. Remember that he was originally a hobbit before he got his hands on the ring five centuries prior. He looks exactly as Bilbo would have looked after holding the ring for five hundred years.
Poor Smeagol.

Be fortunate Gollum ended up looking like he was described in the book. Most artists draw him as a dark, evil, scary monster, when he's just suppose to be something of an ancient, deformed Hobbit.

Back