The ranks are back

Quarto said:
Neither was I screaming that all that much.

Well, maybe not as much as MadDog43, but you were
smile.gif
Of course I were. But it's because I forgot my pills.
smile.gif

Two months? It was almost half a year, actually.
My bad, I assumed you went there for summer or something.
But I should say that I wasn't completely net-less. Let's just say I visited the local university... a lot.
And they'd just let you go in?
smile.gif

However, the connection there was slow enough to make me want to kill. And the computers were old, decrepit 486s (or were they 386s?), with Win3.11, and Netscape 2.something. <Shudders> I had to give up on the CIC altogether, since it took me about half an hour to check my mail... on a good day.
My god, sounds like a nightmare.
smile.gif
At least you didn't have to pay for it.
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
And they'd just let you go in?
I was lucky. That's where my father worked before we went off to PNG, so he still had some connections. In other words, yes, they did just let me in.
smile.gif

My god, sounds like a nightmare. At least you didn't have to pay for it.
You know what they say. Anything that comes for free is worth what you paid for it.
smile.gif

Quarto said:
My god, sounds like a nightmare. At least you didn't have to pay for it.

You know what they say. Anything that comes for free is worth what you paid for it.
smile.gif
Well, that's true most of the time. SO came for free though. And it definetly is worth a price of a new game.
smile.gif

Lucky for me I never gained respect here to begin with so I don't have to worry about regaining it.
biggrin.gif

You can call me the resident captain. Heh.

Great job Kris.

Too bad the UBB software doesn't allow for other things as medals, commendations and honorary titles, that sort of thing.

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

"...we follow the sun, we follow the sun, we follow the sun..."

Kalk, I could try, but why?
Klaus, that'd be really neat, the two of us could have some really nice ones. I'd probably be awarded the most unrespectable member citation.
biggrin.gif

Idea: could some of us go Kilrathi or CoS with the ranks? Id be the first volunteer (ok, MadHatter might have dibs, but im in too)

------------------
I don't respect your authority BECAUSE YOU HAVE NONE!!!

[This message has been edited by Chernikov (edited April 30, 2000).]

Chernikov said:
Idea: could some of us go Kilrathi or CoS with the ranks? Id be the first volunteer (ok, MadHatter might have dibs, but im in too)

This would be a waiste of bandwidth. The ranks are fun because there a inherent goal qith them, i.e. get to the next rank.

Also, the service names might spark needless flameing.

------------------
Robert "Meson" Stukowski

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

i dont think bandwidth is much of a consideration. Even with the new ranks being re-added, there has been no loadtime slowdown (i would notice if there is, I usually get about half a K a second load speed).

i dont think bandwidth is much of a consideration. Even with the new ranks being re-added, there has been no loadtime slowdown (i would notice if there is, I usually get about half a K a second load speed).

You could just include a "medal box" in the profile page.
cool.gif

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

"...we follow the sun, we follow the sun, we follow the sun..."

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited May 01, 2000).]

The large number of ranks (and the pictures) are a hack. A fairly easy hack really but it can cause instabilities in the code. The more ranks that are added the more unstable it becomes. Personal ranks can be added for any person but it isn't worth the time for the operator (there are some hacks that allow people to pick their own title but I don't think they'll want to go in that direction.)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

TC said:
The large number of ranks (and the pictures) are a hack. A fairly easy hack really but it can cause instabilities in the code. The more ranks that are added the more unstable it becomes. Personal ranks can be added for any person but it isn't worth the time for the operator (there are some hacks that allow people to pick their own title but I don't think they'll want to go in that direction.)

TC
Most definately not. It's not that much trouble to add one for one person, but then everyone would want one. So if you do get a custom rank or title or whatever, it's because I want to make fun of you
smile.gif

Last edited:
KrisV said:
Most definately not. It's not that much trouble to add one for one person, but then everyone would want one. So if you do get a custom rank or title or whatever, it's because I want to make fun of you
smile.gif

hehe that's a good one Kris.

------------------
Robert "Meson" Stukowski

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

He could have done it at any time he wanted to. This particular edit to the CGI code has been available for a long time (even people who know nothing about CGI scripts can follow the instructions)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Back