The Kilrathi Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sythifuge

Spaceman
Greetings,

I would like to contact Electronic Arts to ask them the status of The Kilrathi Saga (whether or not they consider it abandonware, etc.). Does anyone know who in that company I would have to speak with about this? This idea came to mind after I contacted EA technical support about obtaining a replacement disc for WC2 (they said that they didn't have any, and no longer sold the game, etc). I would like for them to formally give permission for people to help each other out if someone needs a disc replacement, and they own the game. I am also wondering if anyone has an incomplete Kilrathi Saga (containing at least WC2) that they are willing to sell or trade (games or hardware). Thank you.

Sythifuge

The term 'abandonware' has no legal status -- stealing is stealing, no matter how old the game is. If that's what you're into, fine... but EA won't (and can't) give you a carte blanche to do so.

I used the term abandonware as a reference to the fact that EA no longer uses the game to make money, and using a term like abandonware in the context of my post was to help people understand what I am trying to do. I have no intention of stealing anything, and if you read my post, you would have seen that I am seeking *permission* from EA. Is it my fault that they don't have replacemnt discs lying around? Also, since EA owns the title, they *can* do what they want with it...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The term 'abandonware' has no legal status -- stealing is stealing, no matter how old the game is. If that's what you're into, fine... but EA won't (and can't) give you a carte blanche to do so.

Um, actually, they are the *only* ones who CAN give you "carte blanche* (the fact that they WON'T is fodder for a whole 'nother thread...)...

'Course, it'll cost ya quite a few $$$ to obtain same, but that's beside the point. Jus' ask PC Gamer how much it cost 'em to "just" get the limited rights to WC1 about 1.5 yrs ago...).

If you can figure out which files are damaged, I'm sure we'd be happy to provide you with them.

how many disks came with kilrathi saga?

i only have disk 1, that was the only one they had.

does anyone have the other disk (disks) of kilrathi saga?

I was just messing around with the game, and the music starts for a split second and crashes, so it may be the music files. I used my GameDr, but the gouge is too nasty. If anyone can help me out, it would be immensly appreciated, I miss this game terribly...its my favorite WC next to WCIII.

When i got the KS it came with 5 disks.....but for some stupid reasonit won't run wc2 anymore. The disk is in perfect condition,i think its winME screwing it up again.

mine works fine.. wc2 ran a little crazily in XP but all I had todo was turn down sound acceleration and that fixed it up.

I was offline for a couple of days...cable went down. I tried using a dial-up modem...coudn't connect a a decent speed at all (pages were timing out!), but I'm back up again. I haven't had any luck contacting anyone at EA about thier plans for the Wing Commander games (Kilrathi Saga being main item of interest for me right now). I hope that someone can help me get these sound files...I have been playing WC1 lately, while waiting to get WC2 working again. It has been awhile! I am at the mission where you have to save the Ralari...I remember having to afterburn there, but nothing that I do saves that ship! I did it years ago, after about 30 tries...

I think that Ralari mission was the only one in WC1 that I just let be failed. Not like you still can't win the game, and no sense beating yourself senseless about it. I may have the luck of coming in contact with a KS copy before the year is out. I'll help you when/if I get it if you can't get those sound files from someone else sooner.

Thanks, I really do appreciate it. It will be utterly awesome to be able to play WC2 again. If you have kids...NEVER let them near your cherished game discs...even for a minute! My Baldur's Gate disc 1 and 3 got wrecked the the KS 1 disc and a few other games, but I was able to get replacements from Interplay for my BG. About that Ralari-I almost want to let it be destroyed...but something in me can't...when I beat that mission years ago, I think it was luck. I have this thing where I have to finish games perfectly, and almost every game has that one level that I just can't seem to get past. I have a stack of games from the past decade and a half that I have yet to finish because of that. I'll get to them all eventually. One game that I stopped playing indefinitely, is WC:Armada-The Gaunlet missions. Maybe it's just me, but I can't hit the enemy ships half of the time. I don't have that problem when playing other WC games....

Originally posted by Sythifuge
If you have kids...NEVER let them near your cherished game discs...even for a minute
Mmmhhh...isn´t easier if you don´t have childs?

Originally posted by Ghost

I'll keep my kid and just keep the discs out of his reach. As hard as it may be to believe for some of you he's even more fun than the game.

Originaly posted by Ghost

If you feel that way, I'd be intrested to see how you treat your game-discs. :D Anyway, anybody know where I can find a copy of The Kilrathi Saga (or at least the discs w/ WC1 & 2)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back