The First Centurion (June 20, 2012)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Sheppard has made a cool discovery: an early 1992 Origin advertisement showing off the Wing Commander series... and featuring an extremely obscure piece of temp artwork for the Privateer box! This black-and-white drawing of a Centurion fighting a Stiletto is something I had never come across before; it's amazing that new classic Wing Commander art can be discovered twenty years later! The entire booklet is interesting, with descriptions for most of the pre-FMV games... and 1992 prices that will make games today seem like a bargain! You can download the entire booklet as a PDF here[/url]. (12 mb)

--
Original update published on June 20, 2012

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Those prices are something else. I was lucky--I bought my first copies secondhand from a good friend who had basically everything and was looking to move on for some reason. I got WC1, SM1+2, WC2, SO1+2, and the WC2 speech pack for $50. All in good condition. And I still have them all! (Though I wouldn't be surprised if the floppies had gone bad by now...I haven't had a floppy drive in over a decade, so they've been gathering dust in my closet. Can't bring myself to throw them out, though...)

I remember myself installing Privateer on my old 386 with 40 MHz... it had no sound card and was running far far away from smooth. There were lots of 5.25" floppy disks when I got this game from an old friend.
Later when I got my 486DX4 with 133 MHz in 1996 it was running great. I still have this old computer and it is still running. I bought the Privateer CD with Righteous Fire and really loved and still love this game!
I even bought it again as the GOG version but there is no Righteous Fire, which is the only negative part of this GOG release :(

In the meantime I have played through the complete Privateer story for a lot of times and I still love it. For the first times I always used Tachyon Cannons of course with a Centurion - but that changed last time. At the moment my most favourite layout is a Centurion with 4 Laser Cannons. Lasers - most range - best refire rate - less energy draw ... by far the best weapon in the game... aside from the Steltek Gun.

Rylex

In the meantime I have played through the complete Privateer story for a lot of times and I still love it. For the first times I always used Tachyon Cannons of course with a Centurion - but that changed last time. At the moment my most favourite layout is a Centurion with 4 Laser Cannons. Lasers - most range - best refire rate - less energy draw ... by far the best weapon in the game... aside from the Steltek Gun.

Rylex

Very interesting. I thought that the Tachyons were the best but I wasn't considering range or playing style.

I see that you were involved in another interesting thread at https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/gun-damage-wrong-all-numbers-seem-weird.21752/

Very interesting. I thought that the Tachyons were the best but I wasn't considering range or playing style.
Tachyons give the highest damage-per-second, while having longer range and greater energy efficiency than the higher-damage-per-shot plasma and ion guns, but quad lasers do fairly decent damage with the highest speed and range in the game. Quad lasers might actually make a good loadout for a medium fighter in the WC2 or earlier era--it's only the thicker shields of the WC4 era that make the Banshee seem weak.

Hi everybody,

at first I'd like to apologize that I have not answered earlier ;) I'm not checking the forums every day :oops:

how much do you want for your 486, rylex? :D

I know there is a smiley and it is probably a joke - but I really love my 486 - really!
Or to say it with Privateer Righteous Fire intro words: "It's irreplaceable!" ;)

I see that you were involved in another interesting thread at https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/gun-damage-wrong-all-numbers-seem-weird.21752/

Yes I've written some posts about the Privateer gun damage... my latest post was mentioned here:

https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/overpriced-privateers-make-pc-format-mad-july-9-2012.26216/

You can although take a quick look at my thoughts:
privateer-rf.jpg

Tachyons give the highest damage-per-second, while having longer range and greater energy efficiency than the higher-damage-per-shot plasma and ion guns, but quad lasers do fairly decent damage with the highest speed and range in the game. Quad lasers might actually make a good loadout for a medium fighter in the WC2 or earlier era--it's only the thicker shields of the WC4 era that make the Banshee seem weak.

Excellent post! That's exactly what I thought. Its still important to mention, that ONE boosted Steltek Gun is better than four Lasers! But that does not count for Righteous Fire.

By the way - I was able to integrate Righteous Fire (from my old Privateer CD) into my GOG release myself. I found some manuals online and it seems to work :)

By the way... I'm sure I've read it before but I think I forgot. How much does the special items like gun cooler and so on improve the Cannon power in Righteous Fire? I mean the refire rate is improved dramatatically? At least I thought so.

If anybody is still here to exchange Privateer strategies then please write me or answer here! I'm always interested in Privateer facts!

Have a nice day!

Rylex

Back