The enthusiasm for my last POLL was so overwhelming (sarcasm)...but

KilrathiSaga

Spaceman
Here's a new one.
POLL: Choosing from any WC game, which is your favorite ship, be it a bomber or a light scout.

Personally, I liked the raptor in WC1, the ferret (yes, the ferret) in WC2, and the stolen ship in WC4...Anyobdy else? Oh, I also liked the top of the line ship in Privateer 1. I'm sure I'll get loads of sarcasm for this one too...

------------------
Stop the foolishness...
stop the insanity...
Re-release the Kilrathi Saga NOW!!!

Seeing as how we've seen this a million times as well... yes, yes you will.
tongue.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited June 22, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
Dralthi's right. Come up with something original and I'm sure you'll get a better response.

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

The Ywing is great against Tie fighters and capships. Otherwise, give me an Xwing with advanced concussion missiles. The Awing doesnt have enough firepower (although against unshielded TIEs it works wonders) and the Bwing has, well, truly crappy gun placement, especially in XvT.

As far as Imp ships, I thought the Missile boat was taking advantage of the AI. You can shoot down missiles, they dont. Therefore, you are able to stand off and do that to fighers. TIEs are actually good if you can get behind a Y-wing, although versus Awings and advanced concussion missiles in the final BoP mission results in a "shit shit shit" event. One of them kills easily, so I usually redirect all shields to engines and fly as a TIE pilot should. Usually live too.

------------------
You deal death with your roars and your screams, your threats, your taunts, your overblown ego. I hand it out, one with the steel and the silence, the blackness around me, with a thought.

TIE fighters I like, but sticking to the ships where they belong, I like the Raptor (WC1), Saber & Brodasword (WC2), Arrow & Excalibur (WC3). With a Morningstar, which is also very good, you could ram the Mace or torp (after getting a lock from way out) into capships by using the afterburners as you move in.

Unfortunately, WC1 is almost unplayable in Pentiums these days. You get blown away almost as you launch from the Claw. Moslo just gives more AI power to the Kitties. I'll have to resurrect that 486 in the closet.

Chernikov said:
The Ywing is great against Tie fighters and capships. Otherwise, give me an Xwing with advanced concussion missiles. The Awing doesnt have enough firepower (although against unshielded TIEs it works wonders) and the Bwing has, well, truly crappy gun placement, especially in XvT.

As far as Imp ships, I thought the Missile boat was taking advantage of the AI. You can shoot down missiles, they dont. Therefore, you are able to stand off and do that to fighers. TIEs are actually good if you can get behind a Y-wing, although versus Awings and advanced concussion missiles in the final BoP mission results in a "shit shit shit" event. One of them kills easily, so I usually redirect all shields to engines and fly as a TIE pilot should. Usually live too.

[This message has been edited by JoeyRP (edited June 23, 2000).]

Chernikov: Actually, what I like about the A-Wing is its speed (note: I only played the original X-Wing and Tie Fighter games). It's the fastest Rebel fighter, and I just love that scouting mission (X-Wing, Tour 1, Mission 2).

That's also what I like about the Missile Boat... ever tried racing through the training grounds with max speed and boosters?
smile.gif
You don't get anywhere, but it's fun.
smile.gif

Fighting against A-Wings is such a pain in the ass no matter what Imp ship you`re flying. It really reminds me of the Arrow.

BTW, just for the record, I`ve recently revised my favorite WC ship from Dragon to Sabre, it`s such a good ship, good against almost any Kilrathi ship.

Hmm, I only really liked the Sabre the first time I played WC2. It's an all right ship, but... <shrug>

Quarto: why do you think I fly the Tie Advanced with all shields redirected to engines? The Tie/D is even faster, but the weaponry is just a little bit on the vulgar side. My real beef with the Awing is the lack of laser armament - you only get eight missiles, and it takes long enough to lock those... your point with the scouting missions is valid though. There's a mission halfway throught the Balance of Power campaign where you have to scout a fleet hypering in over an area of about twenty by forty clicks... ended the mission with one of the original two TIEs that were sent out after me... the other two were taken down by the Empires own guns.

As for anyone who is about to dis on the Scim, that crate has saved my ass a LOT. Massdrivers are useful (if not slap-in-the-face powerful) and it's one of only two ships able to take down a Salthi in one sustained volley. (The other is a Raptor, which if you use right can take a Jalthi in one salvo. The Rapier, while over the top with turn and burn, has the minor problem of not having sustained gunfire. shot, wait, shot, wait... no *squish* as a Krant disintegrates in front of you...
biggrin2.gif
)

------------------
You deal death with your roars and your screams, your threats, your taunts, your overblown ego. I hand it out, one with the steel and the silence, the blackness around me, with a thought.

Mad Hatter: I wasn't going to say that... it goes without saying anyway
wink.gif

Chernikov: I find that the A-Wing's twin lasers do just fine... at least in the missions it's designed for.
The Tie/D is indeed a lot faster, but it's not only overdone, it's also quite hideous. In fact, the only Ties I really like are the Interceptor and the Bomber.

Hmm... one of these days, I really should get around to finishing X-Wing (well, the addons, to be precise), so I can actually start playing Tie Fighter. But I'd have to buy a joystick for that... darn.

Quarto said:
Mad Hatter: I wasn't going to say that... it goes without saying anyway
wink.gif

Oh brother...
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

I agree, though, that T/I are indeed the best. the only thing they lack, at least in their original design, is shields. I never really understood why the Empire withheld the use of deflector shields in their fighters, I mean T/Fs, T/Bs and T/I were simply cannon fodder, not to mention the fact that the empire is supposed to have the best technology. Flying against them is fun, but flying in them is practically suicidal.

[This message has been edited by Mad Hatter (edited June 24, 2000).]

Well, I guess they decided to crush the Rebellion with sheer numbers.
Besides, they didn't really need good fighters, at the time... I lost eighteen of my wingmen when I went up against an ISD in X-Wing. But we got the bugger, in the end
biggrin.gif
. Only trouble was the explosion - it was so disappointing. But then, WC explosions had always been so great that maybe I was expecting too much.

Back on topic....
Favourite ships
Wc1: Raptor
WC2:probably the ferret, 500 kps& mass drivers, oh baby.......
WC3:longbow
WC4: can't find it...
WCP:vampire obviously....
Priv:Centurion (of course)

What are your favourite missles is prolly a better question.

------------------
Pretend to be a pig in order to eat the tiger.

Quarto said:
so I can actually start playing Tie Fighter. But I'd have to buy a joystick for that... darn.

Tie Fighter is great!! i hope lucasarts starts up a followup like how x-wing got
XWA.

Well, the thing about Tie Fighter is that the Empire gets its butt kicked in the end
smile.gif
. So, the last mission of this follow-up would probably have to end with you dying as the second Death Star goes to hell. Then again, maybe you and a paltry few others could survive and then surrender to the Rebels... kinda WC3-like, but from the other side of the fence.

Missiles are boring. There's no point discussing missiles.

Those TIEs don't have shields because the fusion reactor can not withstand the power needed from it for the deflector.

Y'know, like in Wing Commander, where if you get really good shields and a really good weapon and not a good engine, it's almost impossible to manage (I made that mistake when I first played Priv. Tarsus w/ double Particle Cannons and Shield 2, with only Engine 1... you can see where this had went with those Retros w/ Meson Guns
tongue.gif
).

heh, *spoiler* the TIEs do get shields eventually, but it doesnt really help them much. The Empire DOES realise the need for more powerful starfighters, but doesnt pull it out in time. The few that do go into service (meaning Tie/Def) are vulgarly powerful, and you wind up waxing Rebels like they would normally wax TIEs. However, a minor plot twist stops THAT fun little adventure.

XvT is sort of a follow-up to TIE fighter, at least you get another fifteen missions on the side of evil in the BoP expansion

Back