The Chosen Path: Proluge

Sylvester

Vice Admiral
Here are the first two pages of my alternate history story about the TC. Enjoy, I hope to get a hosting at Solsector soon so I may put the work online. The Prologue will be about seven pages while the main chapters will have 10-15. I expect the finished novel to have about 20 chapters so about 210-230 pages.

The schedule is as follows.

Prologue, Chapter 1: December 15th
Chapter 2 and 3: December 30th
Chapter 3 and 4: January 15th
and so on until May 30th when chapter 20 should be done

The hosting site, which shall be: "TCP.solsector.net" should be up by mid-late december.

Attachments

• TCP Prologue.doc
    23 KB · Views: 79
Eh, I got a half-hour to kill, so I read your Prologue. I'm never a fan of "alternate histories," accept when they're done with REAL history (Harry Turtledove, anyone?). But so far this seems to work, although Khasra sneezing and blowing himself up is a little silly (and the little disclaimer about what really happened was a bit distracting). The writing is a little pedestrian, and seems to switch tenses for no good reason, but trust me, dude, I've read a lot worse. It wasn't terrible by any means. I also liked the little news briefs that opened it. They did that in Action Stations, but it's a good way to get some background without having to read what sounds like a textbook. What I also liked was the fact that things aren't that radically different. Jazz even has the same motives. Also, did I catch a reference to the Movie in there? I like that, as long as one doesn't overdo it. Then you might get into that whole "two Iasons" nonsense.

Well, that's all I have. Now, go read my story, dude! :)

I got the sneezing reference from a book called "Fox on the Rhine" where the bomb plot to kill hitler suceeds because the guy that moved the briefcase that had the bomb in real life sneezes and the bomb explodes next to hitler instead of behind a concrete support beam. Besides, I hate Khasra. I did nail his ass in a ferret and he was flying a Jalkehi

Couple minor things; after the big stuff, it's the little stuff that affects your story the most :p

commander of its fighter squadron is soon to be general Peter Halcyon.

"Commodore Halcyon" would probably work better, although SF and navy ranks seem to be interchangable. Also, unless Halcyon skipped a grade he'd be a Brigadier, not a full General.

The Claw is slated to return to Trojan IV Shipyards in the Trojan system next month so that the valiant carrier can be repaired and overhauled and its crew get some much needed shore leave.

As I mentioned, the Trojan IV shipyards are in Sol, not the Trojan system.

as a one hundred year old bottle of champagne

This sounds odd It would sound better, IMHO, if you wrote " a vintage 2551" or whatever instead.

(CVSX-64)

Dreadnoughts don't have an X designation ... that's reserved for megacarriers int he prophecy era. Also, it's generally regarded that the Confederation is the CVS-14 (although that's far from official).

A klaxon sounded and Thrakhath looked on

I'd write it as "As the klaxon sounded, Thrakkath looked on", but again, this is a matter of opinion.

The Prince watched as the fighters vanished.

Into the distance or literally vanished?

The deck burst into applause and roars.

Kilrathi generally don't applaud ... they shout and rip open their veins as a ceremonial offering to the war-god Sivar :)

their boxy craft vanishing into the void.

"Boxy"? More like "sleek", perhaps?

according to a recent scout that sighted the ship.

The last part (that sighted the ship) is redundant, IMHO.

He swings his arm to cover his mouth, tapping the control stick and causing the damaged wire to swing back in contact with the circuit board. After sending the message, “For Kilrah” to his comrades, he rests back in his seat. He glances towards the tactical console and wonders. , “ Should I engage the backup system? The Prince would be most displeased if his cousin and most trusted pilot could not destroy his target because of a glitch.”
He toggles the switch and the resulting spark from the wire causes the console to explode, showering his face with glass and sparks. He cries out in agony and thrashes his arm around. He knocks the stick to the side causing his fighter to collide with his wingman. The last thing Khasra saw was a bright flash as his torpedoes explode, vaporizing him and both his wingman into tiny particles.

As Dralthi noted, switching tenses in the middle of the story isn't the wisest thing to do :)

He then became horrified as he heard the voice of the Claw’s comm officer clearing him in.

It'd be more immersive, I think, if you actually showed the comm officer responding ... somethign like this:

“No one will be there Chris, the Claw is gone!” he laughed.
He stopped abrubtly as a familiar voice resounded in his headphones."Tiger's Claw to Maverick, you are cleared to land. Welcome back".
Jazz gasped in horror. "This is impossible! The cats have screwed up again".

In general, you could also use more use of adjectives and color and visual descriptipns... like "Captain Zach “Jazz” Colson leaned back in his chair, a wicked grin on his handsome features". Something like that. It makes things more immediete and acts as a useful visual aid. Generally, this is a good first draft, though, and the good thing about the small things is that they can be worked out later.

"Commodore Halcyon" would probably work better, although SF and navy ranks seem to be interchangable. Also, unless Halcyon skipped a grade he'd be a Brigadier, not a full General.

Halcyon is made a Brigadier General at the end of Secret Missions 2. He'd generally be called 'General Halcyon' in any sort of literature format.

(I'll read the story in the morning.)

Heyo,
Allright, I looked through the fic - looks good, I'd certainly like to see more. Here are my nits:

After sweeping through the Enigma Sector over the past four months, the Confederation 9th fleet, under the command of Rear Admiral Geoffrey Tolwyn and spearheaded by the carrier TCS Tiger's Claw (CV-07) has finally driven the Kilrathi from the last human system in Enigma, the Enigma system itself.

The Kilrathi didn't hold Enigma - if they had, then they'd have been able to move forces through the black hole point and into Sol.

The vessel is also equipped with a "Phase Transit Cannon" rumored to be able to destroy a ship in one shot.

The phrasing here is a bit odd - 'destroy a ship in one shot' sounds a lot more like teenagers talking about video games than it does a military press release. I'd try for something a bit more wordy and more specific - 'with the rumored capacity to devestate an enemy cruiser with a single blast' or somesuch.

The Confederation is scheduled to come online in mid 2657 with her sister-ship, the TCS Concordia (CVS-65), named after the super-cruiser lost over Vega Prime last month, in 2660. Concordia's hull is roughly 20% complete. The third of the class, the TCS Alliance (CVS-66), has just been announced and will be complete hopefully by 2662 according to Rear Admiral Sarah Jandison, head of Confed R&D.

The problem here is that this alternate history doesn't make sense. I don't see any way to 'move up' the Confederation-class by three years...

Let me explain the story: in 2655, the remains of the Sivar's Proton Accelerator Gun were captured and studied - and Confed rushed their own version into production. That's the entire reason that the Confederation-class exists - to mount the PTC and to maintain the balance of power with the Kilrathi (the fact that it was a rush job plays into the fact that it didn't really work right in the first place:)). But you need five years to build a carrier - the TCS Confederation can enter service in 2660 but no sooner (followed by the Concordia in '61, the whatever in '62 and so forth).

remove the ceremonial Surka' Maya that a Kilrathi warrior drank before a mission.

The proper spelling should be "Sukhar May'ya".

"Alpha Leader to Claw, request landing." It was the voice of Lieutenant Colonel Christopher Blair. Zach despised him above all others on that ship. He was hailed as a great hero. Zach was about to make sure that he would become a traitor.

According to the WC1/2 Guide, Blair should have been a full Colonel by this time (you can't become a General immediately - but there's no such limitation for promotion to Colonel).

Then you might get into that whole "two Iasons" nonsense.

I don't think anyone really accepts the 'two Iasons' explanation - I certainly never did. There's a much better story these days.

That the ship in the movie (well, cut from the movie) is rebuilt from the hull of the original Iason destroyed in '29.

It's not just a randomly made up explanation - it actually comes from the Confed Handbook's Iason history... which claims that the Odysseus-class ship was comissioned in 2613 as an exploratory vessel and then refitted as a new ship in 2633.

Back