The Best Games Never Published

How about Metallica?
I saw a trailer for the Metallica game quite awhile back and read a couple articles and it sounded like it would a lot of fun. It was supposed to be a racing combat game, ala Twisted Metal, with new music written by the band for the game.
I was looking forward to this, mainly because I like Metallica, but also because I was hoping to find a good combat racing game for the PC.

KOTOR2 and SS2 are two games worth playing on their fan-improved versions (SS2 is very much complete, of course).

The work done in SS2 is similar to the new and improved WCP with hi-res and DVD quality video. KOTOR 2 is a whole new thing, fans are actually implementing storyline material that was left unused on the game.

Is the fan-improved version of KOTOR 2 for the PC release only or can you get it for the X-box too?

Thought of three more titles that could've used a sequel, had a sequel cancelled, or whatever:

"Breakdown" on XBox (IGN link was the "best" I could find)
"Advent Rising" on PC & XBox (sequel was cancelled & I think the company went under)

and

"Max Payne 3" on PC & XBox (may or may not happen at some really distant point in the future post-Alan Wake; link is for MP1 & MP2)

Is the fan-improved version of KOTOR 2 for the PC release only or can you get it for the X-box too?

PC only, of course. Modability is still a trump card for the PC. Oblivion is just 100x better with mods. Freespace 2 (a very good game) looks even better than newr games, after the source code was released and tinkered with. Not to mention Exult. And we have UE, Standoff, Saga, the awesome HCl WCP/SO patches, the Homeworld 2 Mod, Gulikoza's WC4DVD patch...

In addition to all that, multiplayer mods have spawned entire genres and communities, including CS (which I personally don't like), Day of Defeat, Red Orchestra... and crazy stuff like Dwarf Fortress.

MMOs like WoW (another very good and enjoyable game, believe me) also benefit from a wealth of modding options for streamlining gameplay and improving the interface.

PC gaming is still really awesome.

I just hope EA still thinks so!

Oh, you bet they do. They make a lot of cash from it. The Sims, Battlefield 2142, Command&Conquer, the sports lines, there are still lots of profitable games on the PC. It may not be the platform du jour, but it's not even close to dying. People exaggerate a lot.

There was a Star Trek First Contact game that got cancelled abruptly, which caused some disappointment at the time.

How about Metallica?
I saw a trailer for the Metallica game quite awhile back and read a couple articles and it sounded like it would a lot of fun. It was supposed to be a racing combat game, ala Twisted Metal, with new music written by the band for the game.
I was looking forward to this, mainly because I like Metallica, but also because I was hoping to find a good combat racing game for the PC.

That sounds very strange indeed, so why was it cancelled, do you know? I'm not a big Metallica fan myself, I'm an Iron Maiden fan, and I guess they brought out their own computer game, so it really isn't that strange for a band to bring out a game.

There was a Star Trek First Contact game that got cancelled abruptly, which caused some disappointment at the time.

I wonder what that would entail exactly?

Cheers,

Red Coat.

That sounds very strange indeed, so why was it cancelled, do you know? I'm not a big Metallica fan myself, I'm an Iron Maiden fan, and I guess they brought out their own computer game, so it really isn't that strange for a band to bring out a game.

Aerosmith had an arcade game where you can hurl LPs at bad guys. Very Shaun of the Dead. :)

I wonder what that would entail exactly?

Well, it was pretty much going to be fighting the Borg on the Enterprise-E. I reckon most of the ideas got incorporated into Elite Force I & II.

Well, it was pretty much going to be fighting the Borg on the Enterprise-E. I reckon most of the ideas got incorporated into Elite Force I & II.

My main problem when they do the whole 'fighting Borg' thing is when they give them guns. It annoys me so much, that's not how it was in the shows or the movie! :p

Cheers,

Red Coat.

My main problem when they do the whole 'fighting Borg' thing is when they give them guns. It annoys me so much, that's not how it was in the shows or the movie! :p

Cheers,

Red Coat.

The Borg had energy weapons in Descent, but then again, they were the ones working for Lore.

The thing that spoiled the Borg in Elite Force for me was the damn Infinity Modulator. It took away the scariest thing about fighting the Borg, which is that if you fire too many times, they'll adapt and you'll be unable to shoot them at all. It meant you'd have to do clever things to beat them, rather than just point-and-shoot as with any other enemy.

Also, the Infinity Modulator was dead weight when facing anyone else. In the first game, they made it more accurate than the Compression Phaser Rifle, so you could (sort of) snipe with it, which made no particular logical sense and was obviously just to find a use for it in the other 90% of the game.

In the second game, they just gave you a frickin sniper rifle, instead. :cool:

The Borg had energy weapons in Descent, but then again, they were the ones working for Lore.

Still annoyed me. :p

The thing that spoiled the Borg in Elite Force for me was the damn Infinity Modulator. It took away the scariest thing about fighting the Borg, which is that if you fire too many times, they'll adapt and you'll be unable to shoot them at all. It meant you'd have to do clever things to beat them, rather than just point-and-shoot as with any other enemy.

Yeah, exactly. I could wait until they were a metre away and then just get them with point-blank range Infinty Modulator special shot, just to be a smartarse. Having a gun that could kill Borg at will took the fun out of the game.

Also, the Infinity Modulator was dead weight when facing anyone else. In the first game, they made it more accurate than the Compression Phaser Rifle, so you could (sort of) snipe with it, which made no particular logical sense and was obviously just to find a use for it in the other 90% of the game.

Haha, yeah, I reckon. The Phaser annoyed me too, the two settings were just...silly, I just wanted my Phaser to work like it did in the shows. :p Much more fun.

Cheers,

Red Coat.

That is Bethesda's Fallout 3. Black Isle's Fallout 3 project that was under the codename Van Buren was never finished and all that remains is a pre-alpha tech demo.

Yeah, its such a horrible thing that Bethesda would buy the rights to produce a game in an otherwise aging franchise and actually attempt to make something that may not just be another turn based RPG with slower than heck combat.

Is it really terrible that they are trying something new? I love fallout 1 and 2, but there is nothing special about the SPECIAL system for combat.. if bethesda can figure out a way to make it more fluid, then sign me up.

if you want Van Buren, you can go download the tech demo and try to finish it yourself. Go ahead, nobody is stopping you.

I know there has been a lot of drama over Fallout 3 lately but you are jumping the gun a bit. I'm indifferent about Besthesda's Fallout 3. There isn't even a shred of detail about the game yet and it could go either way but with Van Buren we had info and many were excited over another Black Isle CRPG. As for finishing Van Buren my lack of coding skills and the lawsuits that would ensue prevents me from doing so.

actually, I'm almost positive the reason NMA managed to get the van-buren tech demo is because they were curious if someone could make a mod out of it.

First and foremost the source code has not been released, second the engine is extremely buggy and not easy to work with, and third there is much better fan made engines to use like FIFE for such projects.

Back