The Art of Wing Commander Arena - Part Fifty-Six (January 18, 2008)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Everyone has seen this splash image in-game, but now you can make it your desktop! It was originally a gameflow screen which would have presented information about ship upgrades, available missions, etc. It's a beautiful image, regardless of what it's doing.

This is part of a series of beautiful Wing Commander Arena concept images graciously provided by Gaia Industries. You can find the original article here. You can thank the guys at Gaia by picking up Street Trace NYC on Xbox Live Arcade!

--
Original update published on January 18, 2008

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel terrible for having to ask but...when do we see that screen? When selecting the ship?

I have a terrible lack of attention concerning details and the background.

Anyway, it's a nice screen. Can we identify the variants of the ships? I'd say Scout, Guardian (unsure, maybe Eclipse), Blade and Executioner. Also, does that left screen show the landing gear? I think I remember another update where the langing gear was shown at that location.

The return to skid landing gear certainly does make the shot feel more playful. They're like space sleighs. Of doom.

Am I the only one who feels terribly disappointed about what Arena IS, when I see these screens. We've seen ship selection screens, upgrade screens, and even a bar. It's as if it was shaping up to be a multiplayer privateer... and instead look what we got. While I have to give EA props for even reviving the series at all, I can't help but feel that the game was gutted. Am I wrong?

Am I the only one who feels terribly disappointed about what Arena IS, when I see these screens. We've seen ship selection screens, upgrade screens, and even a bar. It's as if it was shaping up to be a multiplayer privateer... and instead look what we got. While I have to give EA props for even reviving the series at all, I can't help but feel that the game was gutted. Am I wrong?

Yes, you are incredibly, incredibly wrong. *Every* game ever designed starts off with amazing and impossible goals - you can't judge anything on that fact.

I have absolutely no patience when you people use these images to bitch about EA -- it was incredibly nice of them to provide them in the first place. If you want to use them to develop your personal conspiracy theory then go do it somewhere else. This crap is *exactly* why we don't see this kind of release more often.

This is one of my favorite screenshots because it's a better view of something we see in the game. I've tried taking digital photos of this screen while a mission is loading, but it's just wonderful to be able to see it in this form.

Back