Thank You So Much!

DreamCatcher

Spaceman
It's been quite some time since I last visitet WC CIC. This time the anouncement of your EP 4 being released cought my eye.

What shall I say - IT'S AWESOME!

I was all axcited and felt like a 13 year old like back in 1991, when I discovered the original Wing Commander for me.

I love every part of de WC Saga an asking me which part was the best ist realy giving me a hard time. As a matter of fact though it was WCII with its add-ons that I spend the most time with. It is WC and WCII that make me keep my 386DX 40MHz up and running (and a PI 150MHz for WCIII and IV and a PIII 550MHz for WC:p - by the way). That's the reason why I was overwhelmed and close to tears seing those beatyful ships from WCII and to be able to get back into action with them.

I would have been content to replay the plot of WC or WCII, but wrapping it up in the superior storyline of "fleet action" and bringin together the best of the old parts is a feast for every true fan! What makes it perfect in my opinion is the inclusion of the original WCII music. The perfect proof of your passion for WC.

It makes me very sad to hear that EP 5 will be the end of standoff - at least, that is what I read out of your comments. Unfortunately my profession is too far off to consider taking aktive part in the WC mod community. Though I wonder if it were possible for you to make your tools available to the community, if only to play with'em a bit...;)

Anyway, THANK YOU SO MUCH! it is unbelievable how much time and energy you invested into this projekt to give it to the community for free! I felt the need to tell you that we appreciate it!

Well, this is the kind of feedback we're always glad to receive. :p

I'm glad you like the game, we do try our best to make sure Standoff captures the feel of the first WC games in every little detail from the art to the comms to the music.

It makes me very sad to hear that EP 5 will be the end of standoff - at least, that is what I read out of your comments.
Yeah, Ep 5 is the last part of this story. Standoff's plot was planned from the beginning... it was going to be a single-release game. We only divided it into 5 episodes because we thought it would make our work more feasible. We never considered increasing or reducing the number of episodes, since we already had the complete story in our minds when we started.

Unfortunately my profession is too far off to consider taking aktive part in the WC mod community. Though I wonder if it were possible for you to make your tools available to the community, if only to play with'em a bit...;)
Well, all the tools we use are available from the internet - Most, if not all, of the programs we use to edit the game were made by HCl, Thomas Bruckner, or PopsiclePete (who is one of our mission programmers too), and the engine tweaks were all done by HCl, PopsiclePete, TanGO and Pedro, who are active in the community and would certainly let other mods re-use these improvements if they requested.

The problem is that the tools take a little practice to get used to, and making a game is not a short term thing, so most people give up before they learn how to use all the tools, or before they finish putting their ideas to practice. We've been doing this as a WCP/SO engine game since 2002 or 2003, and it's still not done, so you can see that it takes a lot of persistence to get a mod done to the end, no matter the tools. :p

Back