TCS Winterrowd

Starkey

Avenging Rooster
In the character description for Ewan Freyers, it is said that he served in the TCS Winterrowd, which was later mothballed.

According to some ancient General Chat thread, the Winterrowd was destroyed by a Steltek drone.

I was just talking to a bartender in New Constantinople ;) and he confirmed that the Winterrowd was "tore up to bits by a single, green, glowing ship".

Or maybe you're talking about another Winterrowd?

probably talking bout the same ship, cause standoff happens in 2668 and privater happens in 2669. truce happens, ships get mothballed, war breaks out again, ships recomissioned, then ships get destroyed

Ok, but if Standoff will stick the closest possible to "real" history, the Winterrowd must survive the game, only to be later destroyed by the Steltek drone.

Eder, any chance of the drone showing up in the Prologue? BTW, GREAT idea in starting Standoff in the Gemini Sector. I´ve always wanted to fly for Confed there.

Originally posted by Aries
probably talking bout the same ship, cause standoff happens in 2668 and privater happens in 2669. truce happens, ships get mothballed, war breaks out again, ships recomissioned, then ships get destroyed
Exactly, that's the story. The Winterrowd doesn't even appear in Standoff at all, we only used it in Freyers' description because it's a ship which we know operated in Gemini sector. Most ships were recommisioned after the war broke out again, the Winterrowd is just one of these.

On other Standoff capships and the Gemini part of the main campaign:
The Lionheart is also mothballed right after the prologue ends, so it won't show up in the main campaign. The Firekka remained operational during the truce, although not at full strength. Since it apparently takes weeks to reactivate mothballed ships, the Firekka is sent to Sol sector once the war breaks out again. On it's way out of Gemini, it collects pilots (including the player character, which had been reassigned to a planetary defense squadron in New Detroit) and supplies, bringing it back to full strength. At the end of mission 3 or so you already have three full squadrons onboard (Stilettos, Rapiers, Gladii), provided you haven't lost any wingmen of course.

As for the Drone, don't think so. It's better to leave Privateer's storyline in Privateer... not to mention that thing is so damn rounded I'd have to use 2 thousand polygons on it ;)

Besides, if the drone appeared, it would be invulnerable to your guns and extremely deadly... you'd probably regret asking for it :).

I think it's very obvious indeed that the drone has never been seen before in Privateer, everybody's speculating a lot about what it could be... Nobody's seen it before and noone knows that it is, how many there are or what it's capable of doing. If the same thing had been seen two years before, doing the same thing, there would be more reference to it. Like in T2, where they reference Arnold to the T1 robot. I say keep the drone out.

You probably know this already, but another ship mentioned in Privateer is the TCS Valiant.

That's a pretty cool idea of using the Winterrowd.

Actually, I didn't remember the Valiant. I've picked the Winterrowd because it was the only ship name I still remembered, and I was too lazy to launch Privateer and click away at every bartender trying to get one of the capship-mentioning dialogues :p

Damn, you gotta be kidding me :p Thanks man, that'll probably come in handy for future Privateer references (which will abound, by the way).

Back