Tarsus (Privateer) painted 3D Print (01)

Cpt. Streets

Spaceman
This is Cpt. Streets from Germany.
These are some pictures of my 3D-printed Tarsus Frighter from Privateer. It is the first ship model from the Wing Commander universe so far.

I did not made the 3D mesh itself. I only painted it and modified it a bit as well.
It is about ~16cm (6,3") long.

Currently I´m working on a Hornet Fighter in approximately the same scale as the Tarsus.
I will do ships from WC1, WC2 and WC Privateer.
But more about this at another time...

1.JPG

s1.JPG

s3a.JPG

s3b.JPG

x.JPG

x1.JPG

x2.JPG

x3.JPG

x4.JPG

Last edited:
Woah, that's some very nice detail level. I love the tiny markings and labels.
Could you describe a bit more in detail what you did there? Do you used airbrush, painted yourself with a brush, or some other technique?
You could also record a bit of your work and put a video on youtube.

I think you should also consider adding some small LEDs into the engines (for your future models). That would be cool.

Did you see LOAFs post about the hidden message on the back of the Tarsus?
:) No. (I don´t break for furballs) ?
Please tell me more....
Could you describe a bit more in detail what you did there? Do you used airbrush, painted yourself with a brush, or some other technique?
Let me see...
I only use acrylic paints from bottle or tube with several brushes.
Standard techniques...base coat, dry brushing and washing.
Only oldschool painting techniques I learnd in the late 80s, early 90s.
No Airbrush and no fancy speed paints, only ordinary colors...some metallic...silver...copper...boltgun metal...
The fire is a mix of yellow and orange fluorescent acrylic paint. They´ll glow in blacklight...look:
IMG_2823.JPG

This is no photo filter. It´s blue/violett LED light in the room.
The orange and yellow paint is "glowing" on its own.
Nice, isn´t it ? ;)

About the decals...some of the are from old plastic model-kits (planes) and some are from a online shop for custom decals for military models or miniature train stuff.
I bought several decal sheets...warning signs....container markins...letters and numbers...and the yellow/black stipes of course.
A Wing Commander ships needs those yellow and blackstripes!

I set the length to 26m.
This is roundabout a scale of 1:160

it is too long? It is too short? I don´t care! ;D
It works for me and most of the future projects.
Yeah, there will be no captial ships in 1:160 I do not have this amount of space.

photo_2023-08-21_11-36-02 Kopie.jpg

The C-1000 marking comes from the original Tarsus model. We have it, along with most of the Privateer 3D art assets, and it's presumably what the print modeler used as reference. (The mesh filename is "CLUNKER").
I thought to measure the original meshes to settle once and for all just how big the ships are. And then I did, and realized why nobody had done it: the models aren't to scale. The Broadsword (one of the few ships we have a firm length for, 36m) is 96 meters long. The Tarsus? 1146 meters long. The Robocop cyborg who informs you about property theft? 1093 meters high. Yes.

If I had to figure out the ship sizes, I would start with the player ship cockpits models, which we have, and work from there. They have nice references like chairs. It would also be possible to compare the sizes of the Centurion, Orion and Galaxy, because we have the ship dealer's file with them all scaled properly. Just not the Tarsus.

Sorry for rambling on a bit. Your paintwork is very nice, I really like the sheen on the engine casings and the finish on the dish.

@Bob McDob

Hell no, it´s ok.
I did it with to cockpit and chairs, too.
The reason for this was to print other ships in about the same scale.
...approximately...
I think nobody will ever measure my ships and calcualte the scale. They must look good side by side.
I´ve choosen 1:160 beacause they are small enough to print many differnt ships but also big enough to show all details.
Also 1:160 is common scale for minature Trains, called "Spur N"
So I can compare the ship sizes with other things like cars, people ect. ect.

The C-1000 marking comes from the original Tarsus model. We have it, along with most of the Privateer 3D art assets, and it's presumably what the print modeler used as reference. (The mesh filename is "CLUNKER").
I thought to measure the original meshes to settle once and for all just how big the ships are. And then I did, and realized why nobody had done it: the models aren't to scale. The Broadsword (one of the few ships we have a firm length for, 36m) is 96 meters long. The Tarsus? 1146 meters long. The Robocop cyborg who informs you about property theft? 1093 meters high. Yes.

If I had to figure out the ship sizes, I would start with the player ship cockpits models, which we have, and work from there. They have nice references like chairs. It would also be possible to compare the sizes of the Centurion, Orion and Galaxy, because we have the ship dealer's file with them all scaled properly. Just not the Tarsus.

Sorry for rambling on a bit. Your paintwork is very nice, I really like the sheen on the engine casings and the finish on the dish.
In a different thread I used a similar technique to calculate the centurion as being about 71 feet 2 inches (21.7 meters) long.

There are some great resources for this in the WCPedia. The Tarsus entry at https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Tarsus has some unused manual art.
Privateer_-_Unused_Manual_Art_-_Tarsus_Repairs.png

This Guy is in 1:160 (N)
(I have some more...this needs a grey base and some boxes and barrels) - like a small diorama

photo_2023-12-05_17-47-16.jpg

I think he does his job well...whatever it is.

And yes, you are right! This is Dr. Spengler!
Capture.JPG

Back