Taking Screenshots

Taking screenshots of WC3 DOS is either very difficult or not possible.

But I'd be glad to be proven wrong!

Wedge009 said:

Fortunately I have tomorrow off, so I'll have time to install it to try to do just that. :D

Wedge009 said:

Haven't tried WC3 in DOSBox.. but so far everything I've put through there works great with a Printscreen and Paste into PSP.

I have the windows version of Wc3, I run it on my 98 computer. Hitting PrintScrn does nothing, I thought maybe there was another way.

Printscreen itself, in all WC games besides WCP and WCSO, doesn't create a file. All it does is capture the current screen image to the clipboard. You have to manually paste it into a graphics program to actually create a file of the captured image.

There are several (at least) graphics programs that will capture screenshots and automagically save them to a file. Just troll through Tucows or download.com in the graphics programs sections.

Hrm. I installed WC3-DOS on my W98 machine fine, but when I try to play the video clips, it shows maybe a second or two of them, then just stops. I can hit ESC to skip them, but that doesn't help me any with the videos.

Fortunately I have KS, but since the point of the exercise was to check in DOS, unless I can figure out how to fix the video problem I won't be able to do a complete test. A search for "video" in the Tech Support forum was unhelpful.

does it play the video for a couple secs really really fast then suddenly stop? I had that problem once, but I forget how I fixed it, I'll try to remember

Iceman16 said:
does it play the video for a couple secs really really fast then suddenly stop? I had that problem once, but I forget how I fixed it, I'll try to remember

Nope, they don't move fast. Just the first second or two, then stop. The swirling galaxy of the Origin logo thing did stutter a little before freezing, but it was at normal speed between stutters, before it halted.

PCXDump works with WC1, WC2, Academy, Privateer, Armada, Strike Commander, and even WC4 DOS, but not with WC3. :(

I prefer Screen Thief for WC1/2/Academy.

I have a related question. Using Kilrathi Saga and WC4 w/win95 patch, what program/procedure works best for taking video/motion captures?

I don't have KS, but I understand that taking screenshots is very difficult.

WC4 with the Win9x patch is a different matter. IIRC, the good old "Print Scrn" button will do the trick.

In my understanding (which may be flawed), screen shots, screen captures, snap shots, screen grabs, etc, all mean the same thing.

I'm pretty sure I'm talking about something different. What I want to do is basically record thirty seconds of say... a Hellcat making a strafing run against a corvette. Or the scramble animation from WC1. Not just a single frame. Sorry if I didn't express myself clearly.

You sure didn't express yourself well at all. NOBODY understood what you wanted. You Want to make a movie clip out of regular gameplay? hummmmmmmmmmm
I know of no programs that can do that (they may exist, sure), but maybe you can use a videoboard with video out and plug it into a VCR?

I know...I wasn't being sarcastic when I apologized. Thanks for the tip, though. Hopefully, I can find software to do it, though. :)

Back