Sure to be riveting and powerful...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, there's quite a lot of debate as to whether or not there was a single, specific Homer who wrote the 'modern' versions of Iliad and Odyssey...

Homer is probably a "ghost writer" name for several authors, kinda like that guy that wrote all the Hardey Boys books.

I *believe* (Freshman classics was some years back) the current written form of the Iliad and the Odyssey comes from several generations after when Homer was said to exist -- the stories were originally passed on orally... and the credit to 'Homer' comes from other Greek literature which references him as having told those stories.

...all of which goes to prove my point: Most still accept it unquestioningly as fact, even though, as youse are pointing out, there's historical reason to doubt it. There's far less reason to doubt about JC & the crucifixion, yet most are skeptical of it. Go figure...

No, people *don't* unquestioningly accept it... *no one* with even a passing familiarity with classical literature believes that Homer was actually a guy who sat down and wrote the Iliad one day.

Bandit LOAF said:
No, people *don't* unquestioningly accept it... *no one* with even a passing familiarity with classical literature believes that Homer was actually a guy who sat down and wrote the Iliad one day.
More like several days, or even months/years. Not all the classic authors were as prolific as, say, Steven King.

As to your main point though, *most* folks don't have as much knowledge in this area as you two do; ergo, "most" folks do believe that.

Again, the point is that these things are routinely taught in school as though they were fact, and yes, as such "most" folks do believe it as a result. Yet most of those same folx have the incongruity to doubt an event that has far more credibility and documentary evidence than those pertaining to Homer & such.

LeHah said:
Homer is probably a "ghost writer" name for several authors, kinda like that guy that wrote all the Hardey Boys books.
Franklin W. Dixon. Lord I loved those books growing up! :) Actually for the majority of the Hardy Boys early books (and Nancy Drew) it was the same author written under Dixon for the Hardy Boys and I think Keane for Nancy Drew. The later books from the late 80's and early 90's began the trend for different authors to write a Hardy boys/Nancy Drew book under the name Dixon/Keane. Random bit of knowledge for those who enjoyed the adventures of Frank and Joe or Nan.

C-ya

You might have a peice of me in your stool man, but only because I'd kick your ass so hard you'd be burping farts for a week.

Despite my best efforts of pre-emptive stupidity, it appears the plan to contain the damage has failed. I move for immediete closure.

You were fanning the flames over there Bob. I'm done sparing with Preacher anywho... Lets move back onto topic.

Preacher is very wrong in this debate, there is not a SINGLE primary source document that exists to demonstrate the existance of jesus of nazareth. THere are secondary source documents but secondary source documents only mean that the myth existed by the time they were writen, they cannot prove any existance.

Julius Caesar however we have plenty of evidence of. We have buildings that were built by him and say so in inscriptions, we have documents surviving from his time period writen by men who were eye witnesses to parts of it. plenty of primary sources, compared to Jesus's 0.

The events of the Illiad and Odyssee are most certainly considered historical fiction. We have found troy and evidence that it was sacked. the rest is left open. and homer is not someone who is taken as historical fact, the very first time i had a class that read either of these books it was pointed out that we dont really know that there was a blind poet named homer, but the works are tradititionally attributed to a blind poet named Homer who lived in the 1200s BC.

This can't end well :(
The Drayman is one of the most basic merchant ships you are likely to encounter. This spacecraft is suitable for carrying cargo, but it is also extremely vulnerable to any attack. With poor acceleration, slow max. velocity and no afterburner power, this vessel can hardly hope to evade any predator eager to take over some cargo. Weak shields and a light weapons loadout make the Drayman a bad choice if you are traversing unknown or hostile territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back