Super Wing Commander (mac/3do)

floodcasso2

Spaceman
Ive been dying to play Super Wing Commander for years, i love the more realistic graphics of the game. Does anyone know how to get either the Mac or 3do version to run on a win xp pc? Which copy would be better? mac or 3do? And what would be required to get it running? Thanks for the info!

I own both versions.

You can play the 3DO version under WinXP with the emulator FreeDo. You also need a 3DO BIOS file. It play's choppy on a PC with less than a 2,4 GHz CPU. Above that it plays flawlessly. There is a small problem during the intro and selection screen. Keystrokes are ignored most of the time. You have to watch the intro. To pass the selection screen I often have to press all the keys of both(!) emulated gamepads randomly before one of the designated keys (keys for the 3DO gamepad keys A,B or C) is accepted. But I could always pass the selection screen and after passing that screen the keys are responding as they should.

You can also play the Mac version under WinXP. I was able to play it with the emulators Basilisk II (for Mac's prior to PowerPC) and SheepShaver (for PowerPC Mac's up to MacOS 9.0.4.). You also need a BIOS file for the emulated Mac type and an image with the MacOS (something between 7.1 and 9.0 - I used MacOS 8.1). On Basilisk II it wasn't easy to get the music working (sound wasn't a problem). The biggest problem is, that it runs way too fast on a PC with a 1 GHz CPU or faster. So you'll have to use a tool to slow down you system.

I bought both within the last year.

The found the Mac version at ebay.de and I ordered the 3DO version from a little german online-shop which also sells second hand games here.
(the text beneath the list does also say that they didn't have all listed games on stock permanently - you've got to ask via mail ;) )

I didn't find any big differences though. Just wanted to try both versions :)

Back