Super Fighter...

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
I was just curious about this one, but did you guys ever consider introducing an advanced fighter? It just seems like every wing commander has one:

WC1: Rapier
WC2: Morningstar/ Crossbow
WC3: Excalibur
WC4: Dragon
WCP: um... ok maybe one exception, unless you count the Vamp and/or Devastator.

I can understand why you wouldn't as around the time of the Battle of Earth Confed was reducing its fleet rather then building new ships. But perhaps some really rare ship made it off the flight line right before the truce? Like perhaps you guys could use the SWC model of the Rapier as a sort of Rapier III, or maybe something totally of your own design.

I know, I'm shooting in the dark here, just a thought I wanted to bring up, continue with the good work!

We can't really fit a superfighter in the storyline, if that's what you mean - the Firekka is supposed to be just about the least important carrier around, so it just wouldn't make any sense.

Some of the wings launched from the Concordia fly Morningstars, though, because they were supposed to be the state-of-the-art capship killer at the time (I don't remember where this reference comes from).

But aside from the storyline, we do have the Wraith in the simulator, which is just about the most super of all superships. Nothing was ever as unbalanced as the Academy Wraith, and the Standoff Wraith is also ridiculously overpowered.

But aside from the storyline, we do have the Wraith in the simulator, which is just about the most super of all superships. Nothing was ever as unbalanced as the Academy Wraith, and the Standoff Wraith is also ridiculously overpowered.

And I'm happy you guys kept so close to the continunity in that sense. The Wraith is one of the uberfighters that got lost post-WC3 with the Excal and Dragon. It looks so damn good though.

Some of the wings launched from the Concordia fly Morningstars, though, because they were supposed to be the state-of-the-art capship killer at the time (I don't remember where this reference comes from).

Academy Manual.

The Morningstar is generally recognized as the current Confederation state-of-the-art capital ship destroyer. It combines strong shields and armor with high maneuverability and excellent acceleration. Particle cannon and missiles make it a dangerous opponent for any fighter. However, its true strength lies in its torpedoes and Mace missile. The Mace is the most powerful weapon currently employed in space combat. Equipped with a nuclear warhead, this weapon wields more explosive force than a torpedo.

Academy Manual.

More explosive force then a torpedo... I've never used it on cap ships. I like to fly passed all the enemy fighters, shoot it back at them before they have a chance to come about, and shoot it so that it detonates, killing all of the enemy fighters, leaving me with the capship dead in my sights.

More explosive force then a torpedo... I've never used it on cap ships. I like to fly passed all the enemy fighters, shoot it back at them before they have a chance to come about, and shoot it so that it detonates, killing all of the enemy fighters, leaving me with the capship dead in my sights.

I actually tried it on capships once or twice. Worked great on corvettes and transports, but it apparently couldn't penetrate phase shields (at least, not in the WC2 engine...never tried the WC4 version of the mace). Biggest waste of a Mace I ever did was trying to shoot down a Fralthra with one. I was more of a fan of using it to take down a whole five-fighter wing of fighters--fire it off in the initial head-on pass, and then shoot it when it got to the max range of my particles... the timing was tricky, but I could take down a whole wing about 2 out of 3 times...

I actually tried it on capships once or twice. Worked great on corvettes and transports, but it apparently couldn't penetrate phase shields (at least, not in the WC2 engine...never tried the WC4 version of the mace). Biggest waste of a Mace I ever did was trying to shoot down a Fralthra with one. I was more of a fan of using it to take down a whole five-fighter wing of fighters--fire it off in the initial head-on pass, and then shoot it when it got to the max range of my particles... the timing was tricky, but I could take down a whole wing about 2 out of 3 times...

Actually the Mace in WC2 does kill capships. I'm not sure why you wouldn't have been able to do this, at the least, even if the missile was destroyed prior to contact with the capship it should have done at least some damage to it.

The WC4 Mace isn't as powerful, but it can still be used to down capships, although I very rarely used it as torps were much better at it because they pass through the shields. The only mission I used to use it a lot on was the one where you are jumping into Axius and have to nail those 2 Lances running for the jump point. Just had to time it right to nail them both.

Hmm, maybe my mace got hit by a flak blast in WC2 and never got close enough to the Fralthra, and I never tried it again, thinking that the phase shields were stopping it...

On the main thread topic...

I'm kind of glad there isn't a super fighter in Standoff. I perferred the Raptor to the Rapier in WC1, thought the Morningstar and Crossbow were OK but was perfectly happy with a Saber in WC2, far perferred the Bearcat to the Dragon in WC4, and could have lived without the Vampire in Prophecy. The only superfighter I really loved was the Excalibur, and it was so overpowered that it felt like cheating (except when I ended up fighting N^2 Ekapsi's over Kilrah!)

Back