Strange Idea I had about the Nephilim

Lt.Overload

Rear Admiral
I had this idea literally while I was taking a shower.

What if the Nephilim was really a parasitic artificial alien race?

The Nephilim could have been created by the big superior alien race everyone talkS about. What they are really, is a small bug, which enters the body of an organism (could be any race, human, Kilrathi, anything). If the organism has worthy enough characteristics (like the gen-select device), it starts transforming the body into a larger version of the parasite, the Nephilim we see. If they are not worthy, the parasite kills them. This could be the reason Kilrathi and humans were captured during their Kilrah incursion.

this is not starcraft and certainly not aliens ;)

I think the nephs are a real race and their captured the cats and the humans for research

You've never seen Aliens? You've never lived!

I don't especially like this sort of high concept sci fi stuff in Wing Commander (in my mind, the more like World War II-but-in-space the better)... but it might be workable. Having the Nephilim 'assimilate' wingmen and send them to fight against you would be a neat idea that would merge drama into gameplay. Can you kill monsterized-Maestro?

You've never seen Aliens? You've never lived!

I don't especially like this sort of high concept sci fi stuff in Wing Commander (in my mind, the more like World War II-but-in-space the better)... but it might be workable. Having the Nephilim 'assimilate' wingmen and send them to fight against you would be a neat idea that would merge drama into gameplay. Can you kill monsterized-Maestro?

Or a monsterized-Blair? ;)

Funny - I had the same idea. That whole "What are they?" "Death" thing, made me wonder if we would see Blair return as Nephilim, that whole virus backstory with Secret Ops etc. etc.

Pity the 'trilogy' of new Wing Commanders never 'trilogised' (or 'trilogized' for the US audience).

Funny - I had the same idea. That whole "What are they?" "Death" thing, made me wonder if we would see Blair return as Nephilim, that whole virus backstory with Secret Ops etc. etc.

Pity the 'trilogy' of new Wing Commanders never 'trilogised' (or 'trilogized' for the US audience).
I also considered SO's virus to be their conversion process in my idea.

Reading some of that it sounds a bit like how the Bydo work from R-Type and its multitude of spin offs,
Especially like Final and Command (or Tactics depending on where you are from)

To me the idea sounds a little bit like the Goa’uld from the Stargate-SG1 series...except the "converting" part.

And the "converting" part is a bit like the Borg we see in Star Trek First Contact.

In a different thread just yesterday I was wondering, somewhat tongue in cheek, if we ever might see Blair rise again as an infested arch-nemesis, kind of like Starcraft's Kerrigan.

And the "converting" part is a bit like the Borg we see in Star Trek First Contact.

In a different thread just yesterday I was wondering, somewhat tongue in cheek, if we ever might see Blair rise again as an infested arch-nemesis, kind of like Starcraft's Kerrigan.

I dunno. I've actually been wondering if Blair would even NEED to be converted or invested to work with the Nephilim. LOAF was talking in another thread about Blair's inherent curiosity with the Nephilim and their acceptance of him despite what he did to the Kilrathi and how he would probably feel more at home with them then with his own race.

His situation reminds me of the situation with Ender Wiggan in Ender's Game, he's a hero in his own time, but then the war is over and suddenly he's evil for exterminating an alien race, and there isn't really a place for him. I often wonder if Blair felt that same way, which led to the drinking and ultimately the loss of any relationship with Rachel (or flint? For some reason I thought she died even if you chose her, maybe that was just my game...).

The official story is that Flint dies on the raid on Kilrah, but in terms of the game, all the wingmen you choose ultimately disappear (the implication being that they died along the way, protecting you).

The official story is that Flint dies on the raid on Kilrah, but in terms of the game, all the wingmen you choose ultimately disappear (the implication being that they died along the way, protecting you).

Do they disappear or are they shot down? I thought the game spawned the Strakha ace over and over until they were dead.

(But yes, Flint dies if you choose her and then fly with her and you get a 'Blair alone' ending... but if you choose her and *don't* fly with her then they're together.)

Do they disappear or are they shot down? I thought the game spawned the Strakha ace over and over until they were dead.

(But yes, Flint dies if you choose her and then fly with her and you get a 'Blair alone' ending... but if you choose her and *don't* fly with her then they're together.)

They disappear along the way, you lose one at each 'station' that you dock at.

Back