Strange Boot Disk Problem

Shoal

Spaceman
Hi all. I've managed to get my mouse and CD-ROM working in DOS. I might have the sound and memory working, but I can't test the theory until I can actually get Privateer or Wing Commander III started!

Everytime I try to run wc3.exe or priv.exe, it says:

"VCPI server has reprogrammed the interrupt controller."

Is it the version of emm386.exe I'm using? Or is it something else? I can't even begin to guess. You guys are my only hope! You've got to help me!

Here are the contents of my autoexec.bat and config.sys:

Autoexec.bat
-----------------
LOADHIGH=MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /V
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
LOADHIGH=AMOUSE.COM

Config.sys
-------------
DEVICE=EMM386.EXE
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILESHIGH=30
BUFFERSHIGH=30
DEVICE=OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001

I hate to sound desperate... but... um... HELP ME PLEASE! O_O

Thanks!

I really have no idea about the error. Only thing that sounds strange is that there is no himem.sys line in the stuff you posted. EMM386 should not load without a himem?!

Re: Re: Strange Boot Disk Problem

Originally posted by cff
EMM386 should not load without a himem?!

Yes and it´s even worse: He won´t get even Extended memory.

Shoal, in your config.sys, add the following first line:

device=c:\windows\himem.sys

And write paths behind those drivers. Your computer won´t guess where are your mouse, CD drivers and the emm386.exe are located.

I already tried himem, but purposely removed it:

When I loaded himem, it told me that my version of emm386.exe doesn't like it and that himem.sys will do absolutely nothing except take up memory.

Secondly, I need no path because the files are all on my floppy disk. I've already tested everything out. My mouse and CD-ROM work fine, and they did from the beginning. Those aren't a problem.

It's just this damned VCPI thing.

I did some more experimenting, and I found that by removing emm386.exe from the config.sys, the whole VCPI thing goes way, but then I have no memory to run Privateer. WC3 works great, however, whereas before it gave me the VCPI error.

I discovered that I need DOS drivers for my sound card, which don't exist, so sound will have to wait. All that's left is getting DOS drivers for my joystick and getting rid of that VCPI problem!

Originally posted by Shoal
I already tried himem, but purposely removed it:
When I loaded himem, it told me that my version of emm386.exe doesn't like it and that himem.sys will do absolutely nothing except take up memory.

Where did you get that emm386.exe file? That sounds very dubious and most certainly is not any Microsoft produced emm386 file.
Take the one from DOS 6.22

I have a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 card. I searched Creative Lab's site and they outright say there are no DOS sound drivers for it. I'm planning on picking up a Sound Blaster 16 card for about $5.

As for emm386.exe, I've had the file on-hand for a while now. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find another copy of it anywhere. Plus, I have no idea which version it is at all or even what version of DOS I'm running. I'm guessing it's the latest one, seeing as I created the boot disk using XP Pro's boot disk creator.

I'll try and find another emm386.exe file.

And to make matters a little more dismal my Gravis joystick is so ancient and so under-marked that I can't find DOS drivers for it or even figure out which joystick it is! All it has for markings is the company and some serial number. I emailed gravis technical support but all they did was tell me to search gravis.com -- which I already did.

I have a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 card. I searched Creative Lab's site and they outright say there are no DOS sound drivers for it.

Yeah I know. No manufacturer of PCI soundcards admits that they might run in DOS. Believe me, I bothered many.

As for emm386.exe, I've had the file on-hand for a while now. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find another copy of it anywhere. Plus, I have no idea which version it is at all or even what version of DOS I'm running.

Type "ver" at the prompt.

I'm guessing it's the latest one, seeing as I created the boot disk using XP Pro's boot disk creator.

XP has a bootdisk creator? I thought XP doesn't have any form of DOS?

I'll try and find another emm386.exe file.

Do you have access to a DOS6.22, Win95 or Win98 machine?

And to make matters a little more dismal my Gravis joystick is so ancient and so under-marked that I can't find DOS drivers for it or even figure out which joystick it is! All it has for markings is the company and some serial number. I emailed gravis technical support but all they did was tell me to search gravis.com -- which I already did.

ROFL... (you know in pre Win95 times joysticks didn't need a driver. They worked as is -assuming it is not an USB one...).

You might profit from a remapping utility? How many buttons does the stick have.

Hi all.

Yes, XP does have a boot disk creator. When I type "ver", it says "Windows XP Professional Edition". :confused:

So I don't need drivers for my joystick? Strange, because I downloaded calibration software for it designed to work in DOS, and it couldn't find the joystick -- and the joystick isn't USB.

Is it because the joystick is plugged into my soundcard and not my mainboard?

I'll try to find someone with a copy of Windows 95 or 98.

Well, I managed to get a copy of emm386.exe and himem.sys from a Win98 machine, as well as create a bootdisk from a Win98 machine.

Now when I boot up the disk, everything works except it says this:

"Cannot load emm386 -- XMS manager not present":confused:

Well, I managed to get a copy of emm386.exe and himem.sys from a Win98 machine, as well as create a bootdisk from a Win98 machine.
Now when I boot up the disk, everything works except it says this:
"Cannot load emm386 -- XMS manager not present":confused:

That is because a normal emm386 needs himem loaded before it to provide XMS in order for it to work.

As for the joystick problem... What soundcard do you have? You might need a DOS activator/driver for it.

Himem.sys, a 1999 version from Win98, *is* loaded, though... :(

I have a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 card. I'll check their site to see if they have a any DOS joystick drivers, but I seriously doubt they will.

Back