Stingrays

Primarch said:
The Remoras are unpiloted drones
If that is the case, how come when I sometimes blow up Remoras I get the 'I go into the blackness'...etc.
I somehow doubt the Bugs would be that dramatic about a Drone getting wasted.

No, you don't.... Well, at least you shouldn't, it could be a bug, or your wingman just killed another bug at the same time and his the one that's screaming.

Death's Head, nope, it isn't the core strength, it is the armor.
tongue.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, Here's how the Stingray's work. The center thing you see in the pic below is the Plasma gun. When the three big tubes come together, they make one big, bad ass plasma gun that blows you up
biggrin.gif

Click here to see a Stingray.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Quarto (edited March 05, 2000).]

Fireball SC said:
Ok, Here's how the Stingray's work. The center thing you see in the pic below is the Plasma gun. When the three big tubes come together, they make one big, bad ass plasma gun that blows you up
biggrin.gif

No offense, but that was rather fu**** up. <<MODERATOR MODE>>Please delete that image, it takes up helluva lot of bandwitch, and serves no purpose.<</MODERATOR MODE>>

It would seem like a better idea to just provide a link to the picture for those interested.. or a link to the Stingray profile in CIC Green.

He's right, and I thought the six light plasmas are channeled into one pulse that makes up the gun. It is a combined burst. I'm not sure the bug plasma eminates from the center where the ships are joined. I'd have to look and see where the burst starts. If that center piece is a gun, why can't the individual ships use it?

Your idea is plausable, I would like to confirm it, but I can't at this time.
smile.gif

Remoras have 8cm armor AND 10 core points. I wouldn't call 8cm worth of durasteel armor, but rather the flesh and bones of the Remora.

Death's Head said:
He's right, and I thought the six light plasmas are channeled into one pulse that makes up the gun. It is a combined burst. I'm not sure the bug plasma eminates from the center where the ships are joined. I'd have to look and see where the burst starts. If that center piece is a gun, why can't the individual ships use it?

smile.gif

"When clustered, the six light Plasma guns of the three fighters form a single heavy Plasma gun."

Remoras have 8cm armor AND 10 core points.
So, basicly you're just confirming what I already said.
smile.gif

I wouldn't call 8cm worth of durasteel armor, but rather the flesh and bones of the Remora.

What would you call it then? It is the armor of the ship.
tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited March 05, 2000).]

Earthworm said:
No offense, but that was rather fu**** up. <<MODERATOR MODE>>Please delete that image, it takes up helluva lot of bandwitch, and serves no purpose.<</MODERATOR MODE>>

One, the picture itself is not on this site. And two, isn't "Moderator Mode" for moderators?

first: Ok, Here's how the Stingray's work. The center thing you see in the pic below is the Plasma gun. When the three big tubes come together, they make one big, bad ass plasma gun that blows you upsecond: "When clustered, the six light Plasma guns of the three fighters form a single heavy Plasma gun."

Well. which is it Earthworm??????

All ships have to have a hull, a skin to keep the vaccum out, and debris from getting inside and ruining machinery. This skin is all the "ARMOR" the Remoras have, as such the value given is not that of hull armor. The covering often is found over the hull, sometimes a spongy substance that ablates when heated a given temperature. Modern Confed ships have layers of armor that prevent guns and missiles from damaging the ship once the sheilds are down, we know this. In many cases, but not all, plates of metal are put over the ship's exterior. The outer portion of the ship begins with a skeletal structure.

Many times there is a thin layer of metal or ceramic matter just covering the skeleton.

You can't just slap armor plating over the machinery, it will interfere with the operation of too many systems, especially ones that need to be cooled.

My point was that the Remora seems to lack armor over this skin, that is why I called it the flesh and bones as you seems to hav mist. The armor is the shell. Remoras most likely have no "shell", otherwise they would be better protected.

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited March 05, 2000).]

<<MODERATOR MODE>>Please delete that image, it takes up helluva lot of bandwitch, and serves no purpose.<</MODERATOR MODE>>

Pray tell, Earthworm, what that's supposed to mean. Don't act like a mod if you're not a mod. Last I checked, we had a no-interference from 'Zoners rule.

DH, you seem to be basing that argument on the very small value the Remoras have as armour. Thus, you might want to consider that fighters (and indeed, some capital ships) had values equal to, or smaller than 8cm for armour. A Salthi-class light figher, for example, only has 1.5cm armour on its sides. And a Drayman-class freighter only has 8cm armour on the front/rear; it only has 6cm on the flanks.

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

Death's Head says" first: Ok, Here's how the Stingray's work. The center thing you see in the pic below is the Plasma gun. When the three big tubes come together, they make one big, bad ass plasma gun that blows you up second: "When clustered, the six light Plasma guns of the three fighters form a single heavy Plasma gun."
Well. which is it Earthworm??????

Well, the first theory isn't by me and probably has nothing to support it, meanwhile the second one is from the Prophecy official guide.

Take your pick DH.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited March 05, 2000).]

If you base it on raw values, sure I agree with you. The Salthi looks like near the engine, there is no armor at all, unless they used powdered metal and applied it around the pipes.

The Dart blows up a Salthi in one shot. If and only if the Dart does a similar amount of damage as it does now, then this makes even more sense. If the Dart does 80 cm, then it would get through the sheilds and armor leaving up to 300 core points. Does the Salthi have 300 core points? I doubt it. The damage of the dart hasn't changed in the WCs that we know its value and in the manual the device has changed little since its INCEPTION.
smile.gif

The Remora value was 8...whatever they don't say cm, they say damage potential. The KS manual put damage potential equaling .1 cm armor per point.

The .8 cm value seems to be very possible in my humble humble opinion.
smile.gif

Death's Head said:
If you base it on raw values, sure I agree with you. But I think the WC1 values are low, perhaps too low. I figuire the Salthi would have had 150 armor points-15 cm. Also the Salthi looks like near the engine, there is no armor at all, unless they used powdered metal and applied it around the pipes.

Except the values in the WC1 manuals are almos identical to the ones in the files from the game.
smile.gif
Also, we know that the armor in the games isn't as acurate as it shold be. You can't have 100cm armor here, 30 here, 45 here, and 60 somewhere else. It's shown in the novels though. The engines amd the cocpit are just some of the places that have weaker armor.

The Dart blows up a Salthi in one shot. If and only if the Dart does a similar amount of damage as it does now, then this makes even more sense. If the Dart does 80 cm, then it would get through the sheilds and armor leaving up to 300 core points.

Except the Dart as well as Dart II make 800, not 80 damage in WC3-SO. And we don't know how much damage missiles and guns make in WC1 and WC2.

Does the Salthi have 300 core points? I doubt it. The damage of the dart hasn't changed in the WCs that we know its value and in the manual the device has changed little since its INCEPTION.
smile.gif

But we don't know if the values of the damage have changed.

The Remora value was 8...whatever they don't say cm, they say damage potential. The KS manual put damage potential equaling .1 cm armor per point.

The KS manual is wrong in many other areas though.

So the .8 cm value seems to be very possible in my humble humble opinion.
smile.gif

But don't you think that when it says the Vampires armor up front can whithstand 300 or so damage, and we know that the armor of the Vamp equals 300 or so CM, that why wouldn't it be the same with the Remora.

Earthworm said:

Just wondering, do you have a personal vendetta against me? I had just finished playing WCP when I posted that. The Plasma bolt comes out of the center of the ship, right where the three "tubes" come together. Try hitting F6 until you are in the view of a stingray when its clustered, and rotate your view til you can see it firing. How do you think I got that pic?

Oh, and how does that pic eat up bandwidth again? Please tell me, since its being called from from a server that is completely different from the CIC, (though it does host some CIC files
wink.gif
), so how is it affecting the bandwidth of the CIC any? BTW, unless I was lied to, doesn't the CIC have either a really good bandwidth policy, or I think its unlimited. Yes, LOAF, that's what you told me, isn't it? When you can back some of your answers Earthworm, go ahead and state stuff, but if you want, and think I can fire up WCP again and get a screen shot of the plasma burst of a clustered Stingray, if you want.
smile.gif

------------------

I wanted that pic, send it to me. Crop it as much as possible though, please and save it as a .gif or j-peg if you can.

Here we GDed go again. In all the documentention I have seen, the values of Prophecy are expresses in POINTS, points not cm points, not cms, not 300x-this means cm!

I said before the points in my view are tenths of centimeters of durasteel plate. That is where is put the 80 cm value.

Death's Head said:

smile.gif

Remoras have 8cm armor AND 10 core points. I wouldn't call 8cm worth of durasteel armor, but rather the flesh and bones of the Remora.

Thanks for atleast saying its plausable DH. More than I can say for some. If you want to go on logic, the reason the ships wouldn't be able to fire it individually is lack of power. It would take the combined power of the three ships to fire it. Otherwise, it'd be like putting a Devastator's plasma on a Pirranah, without upping the juice coming from the engine. Not good
smile.gif

------------------

Death's Head said:
I wanted that pic, send it to me. Crop it as much as possible though, please and save it as a .gif or j-peg if you can.

DH, I will. It's already a .gif. Its only like 56k, nothing to aweful for all of those loyal CIC members with 56k modems out there. I'll crop it and send it to you. It'll be a few mins.

------------------

Fireball SC said:
Just wondering, do you have a personal vendetta against me?

No I don't.

I had just finished playing WCP when I posted that. The Plasma bolt comes out of the center of the ship, right where the three "tubes" come together. Try hitting F6 until you are in the view of a stingray when its clustered, and rotate your view til you can see it firing. How do you think I got that pic?

He he, except the game has engine limitations. Read the sentence from the Prophecy guide that I posted.

Oh, and how does that pic eat up bandwidth again? Please tell me, since its being called from from a server that is completely different from the CIC, (though it does host some CIC files
wink.gif
), so how is it affecting the bandwidth of the CIC any? BTW, unless I was lied to, doesn't the CIC have either a really good bandwidth policy, or I think its unlimited. Yes, LOAF, that's what you told me, isn't it?

OK, I use the wrong word. It takes time to load the page when a picture that large is on it.
smile.gif

When you can back some of your answers Earthworm, go ahead and state stuff, but if you want, and think I can fire up WCP again and get a screen shot of the plasma burst of a clustered Stingray, if you want.
smile.gif

I just did back it up with a paragraph from an official WC product that unlike the game doesen't have any engine limitations.

Thanks fireball, I'll have a looksy.

What is it with this limitations thing, am I one of the few who can use a camera without it crashing the game??
smile.gif

GO to the game switch invulnerable on momentarily, catch a cluster, zoom in and wait for it to fire. WTF is the problem? I would do it if I wasn't multitasking already.

Back